Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 merc fuse box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halfasskustoms, Aug 24, 2014.

1. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Iv got a 60 merc and it turns over but won't start. A good friend of mine said to check the fuse to the starter. ? I think the fuse box is in the glove box. But I don't see a fuse for the starter. ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I've never seen a fuse to a starter. Maybe they have them on new foreign cars?

If it turns, then the starter is working, eh? Maybe you need to see if it's getting fuel, and spark, and it has compression. Those are the three things an engine needs to be able to run

3. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

I sprayed starter fuel into the carb still didn't start. Then tryed to see if it got spark from the center coil by putting a screww driver into it and seeing if I could see spark. Nothing. ?

4. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like you narrowed it down to "no spark".

Next you need to figure out why. Does it have a stock point distributor?

5. FWIW, better to use a plug wire first to check spark, and it won't jump if the screwdriver is too far away from ground.

6. If it turns over and the cranking RPMs are correct you have something else wrong. I'd go with the basic air, fuel, ignition. Air and fuel are pretty straight forward. Ignition make sure you are getting it then work on getting it in the right spot.

7. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

The distributor is a new one. Meaning get its been replace 2 years ago.
    My friend said I should take the distributor cap off and see if I can see spark inside of it. ? I'll see what I can find out.

8. You can but a in line spark tester at harbor fright for a few bucks...try that route

9. Does your friend want you to check for spark across the points?