Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 GM wagon chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis62, Mar 29, 2018.

1. denis62

denis62

Anybody have pics or details or done a chop on a 59-60 GM wagon ??
    was thinking starting with a hard top windshield and surround wich is 2 inch shorter than sedans and wagons....
    I have a 4 dr flat top too I could "slap" the wagon roof and tailgate area on to make a 4 dr ht wagon...
    food for thought...

2. 1pickup

1pickup

The 2" isn't gonna make a lot of difference. I'm one of those, if you're gonna chop it, make sure everyone knows it's been chopped guys. However, using that 2" gets you in the right (lower) direction. I suppose I would try to start with that, & then "sink" the windshield down another 2"-4". If you haven't seen this done, look for the Tex Smith book "How To Chop Tops." There is some examples in there. Sounds like a cool project.

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Someone had a thread a while back doin some trickery with the tops of a 59 or 60 wag/elk or something but cant remember what they were doin, This will give you a bump anyway....maybe someone else remembers???

4. Andy

Andy

It was Nads.

5. verde742

verde742

In my opinion :
    This is the time to go to THE MOOSE, or MAD DOG, or anyone who will PHOTOSHOP yer dream.
    GET THEIR PICTURES AND GO FER IT, IF ya LIKE the looks..

6. ken bogren

ken bogren

This sounds good to me ...
    Beyond that I kinda like the 4 door hardtop wagon idea.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm diggin the idea of the flat top hardtop roof and doors blended with the back part of the wagon roof. I never did like the way they handled the windows on the wagon, and they didn't make a hardtop wagon that year. A Phantom Impala wagon, or call it a 1960 Nomad.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Did Cody Walls chop the 59 he built? There is a thread on here for it.

9. junkman8888

junkman8888

Chevy made a 1960 Nomad wagon, for the most part just a trim package. A four-door hardtop wagon would be an outstanding "phantom".

10. 2" is subtle.
    Which is good.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I think a 2" chop on a car that big would be nice and subtle. Any more and it will look like it was sat on. Especially a big flat roof like a wagon has. Angled or rounded cars can handle more chop, but the square cars don't look right with a slammed roof.