Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Falcon tranny shutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trcooperone, Dec 25, 2009.

1. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

I just picked up a 1960 falcon, I am getting some really bad shuttering when I fist start in 1st gear, I don't get the problem with the other two gears (three on the tree).

what could be causing the shutter? How can it be fixed. I have to rev the engine pretty high to get every thing to engage as well.

Thanks

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The clutch is shot. R n R.

3. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Could be a bad mount.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Both could be right but most likely clutch,make sure you check flywheel too.Heat from from bad clutch from someone riding it can damage face of flywheel.Have seen people replace clutch and pressure plate and still have problem.Good luck.

5. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

Brad is correct. Always reface the flywheel when replacing the disc and pressure plate. If it has been badly abused showing cracks, look for a replacement.

6. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

I just bought the car so I don't know the history so I will get a new clutch and resurface the flywheel. I have read a few things and have seen the an "aftermarket" clutch as opposed to a ford clutch is a bad thing.

Can I go down to the local parts store or should I try to find a ford one somewhere?

7. mj40's

mj40's

Don't forget to replace the throw-out bearing and pilot shaft bearing as well. Don't ask me how I know.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

warning: Falcon 3 speed MT's are not designed for hard use! tempted though you might be to rev it up and drop the clutch, DON'T! "Peanut" trannies are fragile enough, and with 49 years on it..... upgrading isn't quite a snap, either; finding the right bellhousing and column shift trans to fit the early Falcon is tough. lots of info on fordsix.com and the tffn that will help sort you out.

9. trcooperone

trcooperone
    from San Diego

I by no means am hot rodding it around. I am just trying to solve the issue so that I can drive it around town. I found one on rock auto for 160ish

RHINOPAC Part # 07008 {10 Tooth}
    Base; Disc Spec: 8-1/2" OD X 15/16" ID X 10T, Flywheel Spec: -1.00

Is this what I would be looking for? I also will be replacing the throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

62 REBEL ain"t calling you a hot rodder,but the point he made will save you alot of problems in the future.I"ve had good luck using ZOOM clutches for a long time.They might be a little harder on the wallet,but its more comfortable sitting on your wallet riding then buying cheapass jap junk and be walking again.You get what you payfor!

11. JBurt

JBurt

I agree, probably the clutch.
    But...
    Check for broken motor mounts before you spend money on clutch parts.
    It's simple. A pry bar and a little leverage to see if the engine lifts off the mounts. Check the rear mount also.
    Don't pry against the pan or other sheetmetal.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Sounds like someone didn't know how to use a clutch and over heated the clutch and glazed the disk bad .
    You will need to replace the clutch , pressure plate & throw out bearing .
    Don't forget to get the flywheel refaced too !

RetroJim