Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 f100 with 292 y block/ford-o-matic what type of fluids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Thus truck is all original and im llwanting to change the oil and trans fluid in it. What brand of oil and trans fluid should i use? Also what type? The motir smokes a bit. Well black. But the carb is pretty messed up so thats probably the case.

2. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

3. What about motor oil? And how many quarts?

4. 53mercury

53mercury

Fix the carb problem before you bother changing the oil or you will just end up diluting your new oil. I would use any good 15-40 diesel oil as they have sufficient additives to keep your flat tappet cam and lifters alive and well. Regular automotive oils do not. Stay away from synthetics. Unless the tranny has been recently rebuilt you should use Type-F trans fluid. Mike

5. Where can i get that oil? Also what are some brands?

6. blucar

blucar

I have used Castrol GTX 20-50 in my Y blocks for years. I had one '64 Y block in a F-250 go over 200,000. miles.
    The Y blocks are famous for having lubrication problems because of the off set in the oil passage going up to the rocker arms and the drain back to oil the timing chain in the front and distributor in the rear.
    The Y blocks are also famous for poor ventilation which causes them to throw oil. The ventilation problem can be solved by using the PCV system from a '64 Ford truck 292. This system eliminates the road draft tube which is replaced with an adapter for the hose going to the PCV. The ventilator can on the left front of the engine has to be blocked off with intake air coming through the oil fill cap.
    I know, I should wash my mouth out with soap for using the four letter word SMOG equipment on street rods, however, PCV's work because they do just what name says.. positive crankcase ventilation.

7. 53mercury

53mercury

Rotella, and Dello are but a few. Rotella can be bought at wall-Mart. Mike

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Maybe you should consider Ford in a Ford oil,new 15W40 Rotella is 1100ppm ZDDP,Motorcraft 15W40 diesel is 1335ppm ZDDP available at Wal-Mart and Autozone about $16 for a 5 quart jug,you can pickup that Motorcraft FL-1 filter at Wally World too.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

All the fluids (type F and 15w40) are on the shelf at Wal-Mart and just buy their brand.

10. Thanks alot guys!!

11. So the diesel oil will definately not hurt my motor?

12. Diesel oil is fine, but I use Valvoline 20-w50 and it works just fine, with an fl-1a filter.

13. Well i drained the oil and it was very watery and parts were clear. Also smelled like gas. Then again my carb was really bad.

14. Ole don

Ole don

Any oil marked HD 30, or 15W40 will work. I use Shell Rotella T 10W30 or 15W40 in my Y block. If your motor fails using this oil, it was ready to fail anyway.

15. I stayed with the rotella 15-40. Well all that has been taken care of. Now i had the carb rebuilt and it doesnt want to run right. Just stalls if i dont keep giving it gas.

16. Wizz

Wizz

Is diesel oil better for high compression ratio y block like the t bird

17. Bahumut

Bahumut

what's the oil capacity for the 292?