Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 f100 short bed custom cab w/big window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 23, 2011.

1. [​IMG]
    Thies heat shield is for the spark blugs and wires. Since this one goes between the manifolds and heads do i still need to use a gasket? I have seen the other small shields bu not this type before.

[​IMG]
    The crossover pipe on the bottom is the one that was originally on the truck. Thank god im a y block junky and i have y block parts stshed everywhere haha. So I found another one in my stash since the original one had holes all over. The owner before me wrapped dr, pepper cans around the holes and used hose clamps to hold them.

2. The heatshield between the valve cover and exhaust.manifold in the third picture. Is there supposed to be a gasket between? Kind of looks like it makes its own.

3. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Great truck! I had a 59' years ago... I've been looking for a big window short bed for a while now as a "future project." Congrats!

4. Hey thanks sirhc.

Anyone know anything about the heat shield?

5. I know there are different types of plug and plug wire shields. I have the 4 piece sets for my fairlane but my truck had these big one piece shields. Do they need gaskets aswell or they just get smashed between the manifold and heads and thats it?
    [​IMG]

6. Does anyone know about this heat shield? Does it need a gasket too or just this between the head and exhaust manifolds?

7. Vendome

Vendome

It's a combination gasket and heat shield. I'm surprised to see it on a pickup engine. The ones I've seen in the past were on the heavy duty trucks with the rams horn manifolds. Have fun with your project!

8. So should I be using this or use the smaller shields with a gasket?

9. FONZI

FONZI

My daughter started driving recently and I gave her my Toyota Tacoma daily. So, I needed a driver so I adopted a similar truck. 59 small window short bed. Has an FE motor and auto trans in it. She is a TRUCK. Rough around the edges but solid. I love them ol f100s.

FONZI

Attached Files:

10. 510madmav

510madmav

VHT has a great "cast iron" rattle can. I've got it on my manifold, holds up great.

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

You need new gaskets with the heat shield. Napa auto parts has them for $12 Picture of mine after they were cleaned up.

[​IMG]

12. Ok cool , I will try to find some of that cast iron paint nd those gaskets.Did you happen to know the part number or are all of them the same? Anyone want to post some pics of thier y blocks? Still cant decide on paint.

13. mj40's

mj40's

Here- http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

14. I honestly dont like that forum much. I would much rather stay herr on thehamb

15. Lets see some y blocks in 57-60 f100's

16. Here is a picture of mine, 292 in a '60.
    [​IMG]

17. That looks really clean. I was planning on painting the block and geads black, the water pump,intake and the exhaust manifolds cast iron paint. Im not sure on valley pan or valve covers.

18. Congrats on the truck, I just picked up a 60 Custom Cab as well. I had been looking for several years and finally the planets of wife and money aligned!

I am subscribing to this thread...

This was originally Goldenrod Yellow and white. I plan on making it April Green and white some time in the distant future. Right now is drive train and suspension. Engine first, since it is in the bed. :D

Attached Files:

• 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      222.4 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
  19. Clean reuck Frauj!!

20. Thanks 56 Ford Custom... It had a 292 in the bed. Previous Owner said it had a knock so he took it to his buddy who pulled it, disassembled it, told him it was junk and put in the bed and that is how I got it. I fully disassembled the engine, main bearings are perfect, the rod bearings all have even wear no spun bearings. Oh well I guess I have to find a running 292 now.

21. I have a 292 that is together in my garage, I know it will need to be gone through. But I have a whole bunch of yblock stuff. I would say do some research and put yours back together.

22. Does anyone know about these heat shields? I heard they are still being made? Is that right?

23. Well I have been searching and the only.place it seems like I can get these shields from and it looks like about a week wait at $36 plus freight is napa. Some people are telling me that these were only used in the big F series trucks that had rams horns manifolds. S ok me say that I habe to use a gasket along with the shield others say I dont and that the shield acts lije a copper gasket that seals its self and.its a one time use. Is this true? Does anyone know?

24. PM me if you want a set of the shielded gaskets, I have two sets and will never use them.

Truck looks like a good start, BTW. ;)

25. Hey thanks mctim64, I sent you a pm.

26. The ones I have are just like these. ;)
    [​IMG]

27. 72IH

72IH

Did you say Y Block pic??? Here's mine.

Attached Files:

28. Vendome

Vendome

Yeah, I would use the regular exhaust manifold gaskets and the heat shields around the spark plugs, mostly because it looks better. The best set-up (for looks and performance) is to ditch the cross over pipe and run a set of duals but that entails installing either the rams horn manifolds or a set of headers. The passenger car dual manifolds will not clear the steering box on the trucks which is a bummer cause they are easy to find. Neat truck by the way!

29. Nice y block 72IH

Vendome, From what I hear the shields are thier own gasket

30. Just make sure your surfaces are true or they'll leak.. If you're gonna keep a Y in it i've got a set of old chrome valve covers with the Thunderbird Special decals on them i'd donate for the shipping cost.. PM me if you're interested..