Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960 F100 front spring mod question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALABAMA ANDY, Dec 27, 2015.

1. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Hi all.
    Quick suspension modification question.
    I recently bought a 1960 F100 pickup.
    Landed here in England a couple of months ago from California.
    All bog standard & original with loads of patina.
    So..... I want to keep it very stock & didnt want to V8 it or slam it, just get it roadworthy.
    So im just about to order the new kingpins & front brakes when I notice the front leaf springs are not only odd, but too short, by about 4 or 5 inches & have some kind of bodged shackles at both ends of the springs.
    Nice........
    So I thought no problem, just order new ones.
    Well new ones with new shackles & bushes add up to about £500 over here (guessing thats about $700 in your money) ?
    We dont get F100 breakers over here so thats probably not gona happen.
    I dont want to front clip it with IFS either.
    So I checked out "Speedway" who do loads of Truck stuff now, but dont do leaf springs for 57-60 F100's.
    They do Posies drop front leaf springs for 48-56, but not 57-60.
    Anyone know why that is ?
    I was gona order a pair of Posies dropped front leaf springs for 53-56 F100 ( which are 1/4" narrower & aprox 3 1/2" shorter than the 57-60).
    I was thinking of spacing out the width with washers & moving the spring mount forwards 3 1/2" (by cutting out the rivits & drilling/bolting the mount to the new position on the chassis).
    But im now thinking...........is there a reason that Posies & actually no one else seems to make lowered springs for a 57-60 F100 ?
    Does anyone have any ideas on input on this ?
    Just seems a bit odd that I cant find a supplier for new lowered leaf springs for my truck, but can for earlier models.
    Is it due to the shape of the chassis,or front beam, or anythig like that means that dropped springs wont work on a 57-60 ?
    I cant see it myself but was starting to wonder ?
    A 3" drop would be cool, but dont want it slammed.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks, Andy.

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You should be able to find a spring repair facility somewhere in England capable of building you springs cheaper than 700 dollars US....Google spring repair, truck spring etc.

3. verde742

verde742

bob58yelo.JPG

You may be correct, But I had some made in Phoenix, Az. Cost over $500.00 I feel they were too long, because the front shackles went from about 80 degrees to flat, took them back and the "man" said we built them to "specs" you wanted them de-arched, they are, make them work. Well, if I was 45 years younger, I would have tried to stick one up his "back hole."

Its been three years and I am still "pissed' and I own $500.00 worth of springs that didn't work for me. On the phone I had ordered springs to fit a 1958 Ford PU, front, de-arched to lower truck 2-3 inches. So I accept that is what I got. when you flatten stock leaves they "grow" I just didn't realize I would not get a shorter main leaf.

Still the OP ASK why doesn't ANYBODY make a spring, researched to lower a 57-60 Ford 1/2 ton PU. That was his question, the rest is just FILL.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. fordpatina

fordpatina

I have a pair like this had them on my 59 I'm in los Angeles

Attached Files:

5. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

I can buy the Posies lowered reverse eye leaf springs for the earlier truck that'll probably work less than £500 my end.
    It'll cost me nothing to move the mounts.
    But was wondering if there was a reason why nobody actually seems to make them for a 57-60 ?

6. cretin

cretin

I don't know how popular those trucks are, but my guess would be, not enough demand.

7. Check this website; www.sdtrucksprings.com

They appear to have replacement springs but show dimensions which may help figure this out.

8. dualquads

dualquads

what the heck are you doing here !
    Andy, Paddington springs made half a spring pack to order for the two front springs on my 37 chevy for a quarter of that, give them a call matey !
    Kev

9. No one makes hot rod springs for it because it is not a popular truck for hot rodders are hasn't been in the past.

it has no doubt been mentioned but a spring shop is your best bet, give them the dimensions and have them build you a flatter spring than the one's you have and that should get you where you want to be.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Making a stock spring with less arch or even flat should not over run the shackles..Period..The spring guy f'ud up..

11. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Hi
    Hi Kev & what the hell are YOU doing here ;)
    Well if they were cheap in your opinion, I'll give Paddington Springs a call in the new year when it's all back to normal.
    I just thought bespoke springs would be damn expensive ?
    I have the dimensions of what they should be when new, so I guess I just tell them how low I want them (reverse eye & de-arched) ?
    No idea ?
    I wasn't gona bother but as it needs new springs, I'm not paying for stock ones ...........
    Oh no no no no ;)

12. Because they are the ugly ones no one ever wanted.

13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

14. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Seriously man.......
    Ugly is in ;)

15. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

UglyWell I never!.... Gotta love the 'Fridge's' LOL. Maybe they stopped making them but I have Posie reversed eye mono leaf front and rear on mine! I'll see if I can find the paperwork and get the part number for you but you might want to call Posie direct and see if they're still available. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451393907.202897.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451393930.578965.jpg

16. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Oh cool......
    Yeh that'll be great if you could.
    At least I now know they did actually exist at one point :)

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

18. Mine is far from ugly, at least to me. I used the springs from Performance Online on my rear (5" lower) and they are great. Nice ride, and def. lower.