Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 drum brake adjuster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Master Brian, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Master Brian

Master Brian

Feels like dumb question but did the 60-62 c10s have an adjuster for the drum brakes?

I'm redoing the rear on my 60. I've swapped to disc up front, have a spare 62 axle and none seem to have the adjuster bar. They do have an adjuster 'wheel' and slot, but none of the rest of the hardware.

If not, any reason I can't add this with the kit from a 70's? Otherwise what's the protocol...manually adjust on occasion?

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

May just have manual adjusters only, not uncommon on older stuff. As far as I know, you should be able to put self adjusters on it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

should be manual adjusting brakes. The teeth on the adjuster wheel will be large, and rounded. Not like the small, sharp teeth on the adjuster for self adjusting brakes.

Chevy trucks had self adjusters by 1964

you don't need self adjusters on the back of an truck...do it manually when you notice the pedal goes down a little further than it used to

jeffd1988 likes this.
  4. Master Brian

Master Brian

Well I have a kit to add, so if no issue I'll just do that. never driven this, so never had to.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you never drive it, you really don't need self adjusting brakes!

:)

Master Brian likes this.
  6. Master Brian

Master Brian

I'm hoping to drive it within the week! Froze motor when I picked her up! 5 months ago.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I know....

But really, the rear brake shoes get very little wear, I would not bother putting self adjusters on it.

54vicky and jeffd1988 like this.
  8. Master Brian

Master Brian

I almost didn't put them on, but I had the kit in hand, so took the extra time and did so. Thank goodness for internet pictures to aid in placement of parts. It's been a while since I've done drums.