Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 crew cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INF, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Ford trucks

Ford trucks

went to go see tht crew cab when it was on craigslist an the guy wanted 2k

2. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

I would love a 60 2 wheel drive short bed done up like the Mooneyes truck.

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

if ya go with the dodge swap get an early one W/ stand-a-lone wiring & 5sp the frame swap is very easy,theres a guy running a 79 crew on a early dually frame W/twin banks around here---{NICE}

i gave up years ago looking for any 4dr ford trucks,

4. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Check out www.cjcool.com There are a couple of crews on there including my friend Tim's that was just done on a stretched F100 frame. GM disc brake clip. Mini c-notched rear frame. 350/350. The truck is now in Alabama.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

sheesh...did you just get out of the hospital or something? If you think those mods (in addition to the other silliness you proposed, ie: rockers on the ground, smoke-spewing diesel power), I'm uncertain what you find enjoyable on this site. Unless it's just tossing out unconventional comments while they're changing the filters on your bong.

6. onedge

onedge

Nice score...it has window vents on the rear doors, I like window vents. Your plans sound good. Dont sell it do it right...good luck.

7. fordmanbernard

fordmanbernard
    from Idaho

My 60 was a Navy Pickup. I have all the documents and service records, mine was built by the Orville body company. Mine is titled as a 64 though since they didn't build them the same year ford made the body style.

Attached Files:

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

My 69 was from crown as were most all the bumpside versions. I'm not sure when they started. I have seen some cab and a half versions with no back doors that were a railroad contract but never knew who did them.
    There are at least 2 members on FTE who have 57-60 models, you might find some more info there.

9. Garbz

Garbz

Your 60 Crew is Aftermarket and Manufactured by Crown. Ford farmed all crew cabs out until 65 when they became factory produced until 79 at the Ontario assembly plant. There were still conversions after 65 but not warrantied by ford.

69 Bumpside crew cabs are factory produced. To tell a Crown it has external rear door hinges. If it has internal hinges it is ford factory.

http://www.1automotive-components.com/history.asp Link to Crown

Garbz

10. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Mine is definitely a Crown body. Thanks for the info. Just made mine more rare though. it now has a big back window.

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Maybe you should read the article. It says that Crown moved to Ontario in 1968 to be near the Ford plant and to reduce costs. If Ford was making them, they would have surely had their own model code on the data tag but they don't and production numbers don't exist as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure 1973 was the year Ford started building their own, at least from what I could dissect from a very long conversation on Fordification a few years back.
    My 69 looked like it was made in special ed shop class when you really looked. Take the rear door panel off and it looked like they had torched a front door to cut it down, same with the footwells and rear floor pans, all hand made and not stamped. I'm not sure at what point the frame plates got put on, maybe by Ford since they undoubtedly had to manufacture the special frame length chassis for the crew cabs.
    Information will always be sketchy on them at best.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

1965 was the first Ford factory crewcab, before that they were subbed out to coach builders. My 65 looks very well built with nothing looking patched together. i ran across a 64 before and it was very crude..my buddy also had a 60 and once again it was very well put together. i believe his was done by Crown

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Where did you get the information that the factory did your 65? It might have been the year they first showed up in the brochures and were sold by Ford dealerships but that doesn't mean Ford built them. I have only seen a couple 61-64 and they were goofy looking, the bed was shortened in the front but had a big rear overhang like it was originally a longbed.
    If you have information/documentation on how your 65 was converted or by whom, I would love to see it. There seems to be a real lack of agreeable information and a lot of mis-information about the crews.

BTW, I love that 60 and think it's going to make one cool ride. Keep us posted on the progress.

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

sweet! i love 60 crew cabs!

15. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Here are some current pictures of my project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got a really rusty shortbox for the axles, bed, and another rear cab clip. I might consider building a big window supercab also.

[​IMG]

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I bought mine out of a junkyard in Montana, I haven't tried searching the numbers out or anything to decode that part of it... It has no Coach Tag anywhere on it either. I do have a book somewhere that listed the 65 as the first year that Ford produced a crewcab and was not a coachbuilt. I've seen a few of the earlys which are pretty crude, like you said, with the cut down bed and the exposed hinges. I might be wrong, just going on what i have found also on the web.

another piece i read on a truck site said

Ford began assembling their own Crew Cabs midyear 1965. Early 1965's were conversions by Crown Coach and have different rear door window frames and exposed rear door hinges than the Ford assembled Crew Cabs.
    There are no production figures availabe for 1965/66 Crew Cabs.

The one thing i know is the quality differences of the ones i know that are coach builts, compared to my 65.
    matt

Attached Files:

17. The '66 I had was a railroad F350, it still had the original paint. I couldn't see anything obvious that made it look like a hackjob, the hinges weren't exposed, etc.. It's in North Carolina now, and good riddance.

18. since its been over a year since this conversation, i would like to ask if anyone has retrieved any information on crown or orrville pertaining to archived records or their conversions. i own a '60 ford with an orville crew cab and i have no other history on the truck. im trying to find how to attach a pic of it..... anyway, theres pics of it in my albums. thanks......

19. I have a few crew cabs and can't find any info on production numbers at all. I have a '59 Crew as well as a '65 and '66. It is crazy how much different the two cabs are, not even the same dimensions, the '65 has exposed rear door hinges where as the '66 has hidden hinges, the roof is a different height, cabs are different lengths, etc etc...

-Shiny

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

count me in now too.

Attached Files:

21. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Here is a 59 f250 on tucson cl guys asking 4800 way overpriced to me but it would be Cool to have brings back memories of our old 57

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. dug this out of my stash ,the 64 and 65 ford lit does not show a crew cab option , mid 70's does . I always understood that ford started offering crew cabs with the next body style change . thanks Bill

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

SO traditional!:eek:

24. for some reason the pics didn't show on my previous post , try again

Attached Files:

25. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

I have a 1966 N700 Crew Cab that was built in Louisville Ford Truck Plant June 1966. I posted pics of it but thread was deleted by a mod. I have no clue why.