Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bphotrod likes this.
  2. Here's one for you. I once used a piece of exhaust pipe I had to make this part for the stepside on my ih pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I hate taking dashboards out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I hit the big three-O today fellas.

5. scotts52

scotts52

^^Happy Birthday^^

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Congrats and Happy B-day! You are now old and wise enough to know you should be wearing safety glasses while scraping crap off from underneath a car:D......Hang in there man, I enjoy your posts;)

Steve Ray likes this.
  7. That's my father. And he is wearing safety glasses.

Surfcityrocker and brEad like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well, Theres a good lesson then, and dont forget it:D

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish I was still that young.

31ster and wvenfield like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

And had his skill

11. Come on now. I'm just a guy with some tools.

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Inner hood piece that I removed to fix .. you guessed it. Rust.
    This is just one side. Probably won't post the other side. It's just more of the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

koolkemp, Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Happy belated birthday! Loving your build.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I wanna do the kind of work you do and it is encouraging to see Your results.. THANKS !

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

This might be my favourite build thread going right now, nothing impresses me more than someone saving a car that most guys wouldn't drag home for a parts car , even cooler is that's it has 4 doors. I'm looking forward to following the amazing progress you guys making!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Thanks a lot. Having all you guys interested keeps me going. But at the same time now I'm getting a little stressed out. It started out asjust get it on the road so me and my dad could toy around with it. Now I'm getting a little stressed out because I feel like I have to produce some kind of show car after all this metal work.
    Fit and finish is the area where I have the least experience. So I feel like if the car has a wave in it or if it doesn't look perfect I'm going to disappoint everyone.i'm trying to keep in mind that the car was basically ready for the junkyard if no one wanted it for yard art.

283john, Steve Ray and koolkemp like this.
  17. Just build it to drive. Don't stress. Many people over-restore or over-build and then don't use the result for fear of damage. Drive this beast when you're done - it's too awesome to be parked!

18. choptop40

choptop40

No worries , get in primer and drive it....you've already lived up to a standard most of us can qualify....thanks for all the pics....

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You are doin great, Make a car out of it, You can shoot for perfection later;)

20. Got that part for the hood nearly buttoned up. I spot the whole thing then fill it all in with the tig. I picked up some sillybronze (silicon bronze) rods. It's pretty cool. Basically brazing but with the tig torch instead of the oxy/acetylene torch. Super low amps means low heat and less warpage.
    Now I have one hole in the hood to patch then I'll weld this piece back in and the hood is ready for mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Squablow

Squablow

Your metalwork looks very nice, which will mean the car will last a long time. As for making it perfect, try not to worry about that. There are many unfinished projects laying around that builders never finished because they were too worried about making them flawless, cars get finished when the builder knows when to say good enough.

low budget, koolkemp and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  22. Sillybronze.

[​IMG]

23. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Nice work. If also had great results with the silly bronze with cast iron and joining dissimilar metals. As far as your concern with the fit and finish I'm with the rest of the class. You'll spend as much time feathering out tiny sanding marks and tiny misalignment issues as you did with all the rust repair and not that many people will
    Notice. As said before you've already proven yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Patching the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. I'm pretty nervous here. Everytime I braze a hole shut I find another. So do I cover it with "all-metal" and send it because the car is never going to see inclement weather again?
    Or attempt to cut it out and replace the weak metal?
    The problem I think is with the car in pieces I won't know how nice of a job I did until I go to shut the hood. That's my biggest road block here. And it has to be perfect for that inner panel to fit back in. I did a test fit after my last patch and it's already losing its fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I admire your determination and ingenuity. You're making complex shapes without a whole lot of specialized tools. Great problem solving. I can't wait to see it done.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Tough call on the hood. I went through the same thing with the hood on my '65 Tempest, everything I picked at, opened up. I ended up cutting out everything I could see and welded in a lot of smaller patches (like you said, trying not to cut out too much and lose the shape) and it looks good now but I fear it won't hold up. In my case, I should have spent the money on a better hood. They're easier to find than your '60 Chrysler hood though.

I don't trust All-Metal, to me it's just metal colored Bondo. I know guys swear by it but I've never been impressed. POR 15 might hold up in there better but if it's thin and weak already, that might not be enough.

It's a pickle for sure.

koolkemp likes this.
  28. I admire your talent and skills. I would have contacted John at the Big M in Williams, California for some rust free parts such as the hood. I cannot imagine doing the work you are doing. It is looking GREAT! Keep up the good work.

29. I recently saved a '75 ford 4x4 that was on it's way to scrap. Had to pull a lot of dents and weld in a lot of patches. Looks great in the evening but in bright sun you can see how wavy it is. I don't care though because it'd be coming back from China as a washer and dryer combo now if I hadn't have intervened. And I don't worry about it as much in parking lots.

30. I too cannot imagine the work you are doing on this car - and I thought I was pretty dedicated. Forget me, man, you are unreal!