Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Rustoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky01, May 5, 2017.

1. I don't want to get too far off topic, but I've done that before as well. Just as easy to put in. Not worth it tho. Hard to make power.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Doing everything in my power to not give in and just have this thing sandblasted and powder coated. Trying to stay with the plan of just getting the car back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

14856430406945.jpg What are you using to do that? I'm still on the starting line with mine

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. So far we have scrubbed the grease out of all the crevices. I went over the whole frame with a knotted cup brush on the angle grinder. I burned all the mouse bedding out of the rails.
    Have to do some welding.
    I would rather drop it off at a Powdercoat shop and pick it up when it's done.

5. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

I wanted to sandblast and powdercoat this one too, but I think I'm gonna cheap out and pay with elbow grease and time, I have plenty of that...lol .....

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. For my 55 Buick I had the whole frame blasted and Powdercoated and the guy only charged me 500 bucks.

chryslerfan55 and HJLrulz like this.
  7. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Wow good deal

8. Last piece of removable sheet metal DONE! All that's left a quarters and roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peanut 1959, slv63, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  9. SS327

SS327

Balls, Huge clanking steel Balls!

Denny

10. This is the front room in my house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

steinauge, Peanut 1959 and slv63 like this.
  11. patterg2003

patterg2003

You are doing a great job of bring your Chrysler back to life. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  12. Two bad spots in my sub frame. Not bad for sitting on the ground for 40 some years. I think the first one is from that rail being full of mouse bedding. And the second one is where the inner fender bolted to the frame rail and collected junk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Frame patches complete. I tried to match my patch job to the existing rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Lower control arm bushing fun! It was a good time getting the cotter pin out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

What you have accomplished is incredible

16. Thank you.

17. I figured it out. To reassemble I ordered these special pre-bent cotter pins from China.

[​IMG]

18. These factory welds are atrocious. So I'm going over the whole frame and actually chipping off slag from 57 years ago. I'm also grinding out and rewelding a few small cracks.

I wanted to smooth out the whole frame and get rid of all the weld spatter but my dad says leave it.

I'm going to spray it today. I think I'm going to spray it matte black and all the other components will be gloss. I like to break it up a little so even tho your looking into a black hole under the hood at least there's some variety.

[​IMG]

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wvenfield and 55Deso like this.
  20. I went gloss. I think it looks great. Once it's dry I'll get that part that's on the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFoch, brEad and tomkelly88 like this.
  21. Moving on to the upper control arms. Bad news all around. Rotted to the point of being unsafe.
    I can't find any just yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Great job, very impressive!

23. Thank you.

24. Doing a little research I found that allegedly the factory did not thread them. The force of the initial ball joint install would form these shallow threads. So I can go a few ways. I found threaded and smooth inserts that I can weld onto my control arm.
    I don't really see any reason to go smooth if there's a threaded option available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. George

George

Try Big M for the arms.

26. All that comes up is a Chrysler dealership in Kentucky. do you mean mopar Mel? If so I'm a little leery. I have never heard a good thing about Mel. I've emailed Murray Park on several occasions because he does not use a phone. And he has not responded a single time.

27. @big M

Look up the Resurrection of Rusty. Think that's close. Badass rusted as f#ck Fury convertible. Made a molasses vat big enough for the entire body. Bitchin' end result.

He has a few old school Mopar bone yards. Full to the brim. He would love your resurrection. You're a talented dude.

BrandonBerkosky01 and Squablow like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, that's your man. You'd love his build and he'd love yours. If he doesn't have it, I have a friend that just picked up a '60 DeSoto and he got a whole car's worth of extra parts, I could check with him if there's extra front suspension stuff.

29. triman62

triman62

Wow! amazing work.

30. I found him. Wow he took it next level!

kidcampbell71 likes this.