Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Buick Wonderbar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

just scored this on ebay, the seller didn't know what year it was for and so i got a good deal on it.. supposedly the 1960 Buick Wonderbar is extremely rare, the buttons are nearly always broken (as I stated in an earlier post), I may use fingernail hardener or some less harsh substance underneath the buttons to protect them, I have already send it to D&M Restoration for refurbishing..

Attached Files:

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Most "Wonderbars" are not overly common and were usually ordered in higher-line Buicks, Cads, and, Olds.

The first one I ever encountered was just after I graduated from High School. A buddy of mine was home on-leave from Duty in the Paratroopers and called me and asked me if I wanted to go Crusin'. I said "Sure !"

About a half-hour later he showed up in his Dad's new acquisition: A '57 Cad Eldorado Seville Hardtop ! With the aforementioned "Wonderbar" Radio !!

I will tell you that "Wonderbar" got a workout that night ! Elvis, Chuck Berry, Duane Eddy, Ricky Nelson, The Drifters, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens...they were all with us ! And, my friend's "foot" kept hitting the floor-mounted "Wonderbar" button till we heard what we wanted !!

Good luck with yours, it's a real find.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

oh my gosh what a great story, the stuff of legends.. my manuals mention the foot switch but mine didn't come with one.. my wonderbar is strictly for keeping a complete and original dash, but its my underdash unit that will offer the afore mentioned Elvis, Chuck Berry, Duane Eddy, etc..

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My Grandma bought a used 68 Olds Delta 88 that had one of those radios in it. We lived out in the country, so there was only one station it would lock onto. When she first got the car, I was checking out the radio and punched the Wonderbar, wondering what it did. It liked to never have stopped going from one end of the dial to the other. Got a good chewing out for that and never tried it again! Oh, and it was an AM/FM. Don't think there was even an FM station on in 100 miles of there back then.

5. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i have over 2000 songs on my ipod, your grandma would shit her pants!

good score i sold a couple on ebay a few years ago, i didnt know they were any better than any other radio . til the bids starting coming in

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Here's exactly what the Eldo looked like !

JK

Attached Files:

7. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

thanks for sharing!