Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960-66 Suburban seat replacements

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 3, 2022.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The other positives with full swivel front seats if you have a rear bench seat , if at a car show/swap meet/ camping in a tent and it rains you swivel around to your own indoor picnic table put on the tunes and your set for a relaxing lunch. Also, with buckets seat up front you can shove long length items all the way to the firewall .

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If you have swivels why wouldn’t it work? Your swiveling in towards the interior not swiveling into the right side door post . Of course your passenger seat back has to be mounted to miss the door post. You could have movable seat tracks .Is that what you mean ?

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

The Bronco II passenger front seat moves forward when you tilt it, that's how you gain access to get into the rear seat.

4. rztrike

rztrike

you can also check out VW Van bench seats, If memory serves me the shorter ones are 59/60" and the rear is right around 68". self standing and fold forward

5. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

What about jeep bucket seats? They are plentiful and on the 2 doors they flip forward allowing access to the back seat.... Just a thought...

NoSurf and Roothawg like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have read that the later SUV’s second row captain seats flip forward. I don’t know if they would look right though. Time to stroll
    Some salvage yards.

7. That's good these rear bumpers are pricey and harder to find since they're panel/sub only.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, I assume it is the right one. I am relying on my vast knowledge of sSuburbans I have acquired over the last 5 days.
    A18F2D3E-2D34-4F89-8063-260837F84C19.jpeg

9. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe just get the jeep seat bracket/ mechanism and then adapt whatever seat you want to it... Did a google search and they sell them new for around $100-$150

Roothawg likes this.
  10. That looks like a later bumper (67-). Also I though all of the Suburbans came with slide front windows, that one looks like it has 4 of the same pieces of glass. From what I understand the latch stuff for the rear sliders is pricey/hard to find also.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It’s all about being creative . It all depends on how simple or in-depth you want the project to be. All I am saying is look at other avenues and ideas to get where you want to go . Example RV’s .

Roothawg likes this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Root , I guess it would help to know the possible age groups that will tag along . An 85 year old is not going to jump hoops to get in the back , so you better make it convenient for you or the wife ?:D

Roothawg likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well we are mid 50’s and so are all our friends….

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay lol . Thought about parents . Anywhooo , there is fellow in Oregon that only deals in ‘60/‘66 Chevrolet and GMC trucks , Suburbans etc . Anytime you need anything he may have it . Advertises on CL. Just look under Portland and type in 1966 Chevy truck.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real pricey if you can find them

16. squirrel

squirrel

that's not the right rear bumper, unfortunately.

The slider windows are a pain...on my 57 I made them all solid, no sliding. My 66 was a factory air truck that probably didn't come with the extra rear seat, which I think is what determined whether they got sliders for all 4 or only the front two.

I have a set of latches for the sliders, one day I'll sell them for a million dollars on ebay.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of the passenger front seats if you need.

Roothawg, guthriesmith and squirrel like this.
  18. I used flip forward bucket ( 1972 Chevy blazer). It gives you plenty of room. Same 2 dr access to the rear bench

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I bet those are hard to find also.

20. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi,
    Do you know what these front seats are out of please.
    I have a similar pair of them in a '46 Tudor I imported but I have no idea what they are out of. They have tilt adjustment knobs but they don't hinge forwards.
    Thanks.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Which ones?

22. One thing to know is that you can use a front bumper on the rear and only drill 2 hole to match the rear frame spread.
    Same stamping. Look at where there is a dimple, on the rear that is drilled on factory rear bumpers.
    Buy 2 extra bumper bolts to fill in front mounting holes.
    Done.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The s-10 bucket seats with the extended cab pickup- the passenger seat slides forward and then slides again even more forward to get into the rear. Kind of a double sliding mechanism. The back tilts forward also.

The Magic Ratchet and Roothawg like this.
  24. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

[​IMG]

25. Those are late 90's Ford Explorer or Expedition. The "Eddie Bauer" edition was a Ford truck deal.

Roothawg likes this.
  26. Stan low mentioned extended cab S-10, I remember my 92 GM Full size had buckets that tilted and slid forward for access to the extended cab. The Buckets are high back, and a little unsightly, but they also had a 60/40 Bench in those trucks, the 60 part of the bench would fold and slide and wasn't ugly high back. Also, 88-90? full size truck bucket seats weren't high back either. The low backs went away in favor of the high backs but not sure when.
    low 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    The Magic Ratchet and Roothawg like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dan is spot on. Explorer seats is what the current owner told me.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s good info. Thanks

29. My mom's old '94 Silverado had the sliding, split bench seat, get rid of the head rests and put some vinyl on them and they'll look ok.

Dan Hay and Roothawg like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

These style of seats with that cloth. Don`t buy them The covers are bonded to the foam. You can not remove the covers with out destroying them. Recovering them is even harder. I refuse to work on them.

Tman and Roothawg like this.