Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

done for the day, done for the weekend till next thursday. not happy i wasted my thursday but friday and sat managed to get the inside and trunk done and ready for interior and glass so im happy. today sunday got back to work

[​IMG]

had two options, grind the whole bottom of the car and the frame and rust seal it and paint it with my spray gun and compressor like i did the inside or rewire the car

[​IMG]

well the car doesnt run, and i couldnt push it up the ramps so now thats going to have to wait a few weeks till i get it running and can drive it up the ramps. so i rewired the car instead. heres the kit fuses, clean and simple

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres what i was looking at when id look under the dash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you cant tell in pics, but the wires were super dry and stiff, they crack when you try to wiggle them or bend them and expose the wires. that and the fuses are old glass fuses. pulled that fucker out quick

[​IMG]

out with the old, in with the new

[​IMG]

easier to work with, and cleaner than dusty ass fuse box

[​IMG]

og bolts were too small for the kit

[​IMG]

so bought new bolts from home depot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drill new holes in the firewall and bolt in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

first thing is run the longest wires so you get them out of the way. the kit has each wire labled from end to end so you know exactly what theyre for and zip tied in bundles. one bundle for the engine compartment, one bundle roll for under dash, and another bundle roll that runs to the trunk. heres the trunk one being run so you get the longest one out of the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these two wire up the two tail lights for the driver side. theyre labeled they say so

[​IMG]

keep running the rest to the right to the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the pink one goes to the gas tank sending unit

2. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

someone tried to make a direct unfused contact for the radio, bad idea

[​IMG]

the wire labeled license plate light goes to the two license plate lights

[​IMG]

3. gallogiro

gallogiro

on the passenger side, these two wires go to the tail lights

[​IMG]

and the driver side ones to the driver side

[​IMG]

and that pretty much does the trunk, its benchwork rewiring the little light bezels which im going to do right now that im inside watching tv. throw this shit away

[​IMG]

but be sure to keep all the dash light bezels. i kept the og clips to wire them to the new wiring kit incase the new headlight switch or any of the other things come with an original bezel that takes these

[​IMG]

done for the day, it got cold actually so i came inside to start rewiring all the dash and tail light bezels to just put new bulbs in it and wire it up to the new wires. next thursday im going to spend the day wiring up all the dash lights and gauges. i never done gauge or under dash wiring before so you guys will learn right along with me as i go with it. supposedly its really easy so im going to spend the next few days before thursday researching how so by then ill have an idea. i dont want to pay an electrician to do it when i know i can do it myself and i want to learn anyways and mark up something else i did to my car myself. the engine compartment wires have to wait till the engine is in but i want the under dash and trunk wires done so i can put in the glass on friday and the interior and weatherstripping saturday. sunday odds are going to be hung over cause sat is 5 de mayo and im going to party it up but ill finish the back seat i been putting it off. so for now not much progress or pics till next thursday so no pics till then

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok i mentioned the wiring kit in my 48 had more fuses and was better, so today i swapped them out. here they are side by side. the one on the right was the one from earlier, the one on the left the one that was in my 48 chevy. you can see more wires on the 48 chevy one on the right

[​IMG]

keep it clean wiring kit

[​IMG]

ez wire kit

[​IMG]

compare fuse boxes, one has more fuses and smaller, one has less and bigger

[​IMG]

and quality of fuse boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and look at the circuits available, even for shaved doors, power windows, and a few extra fused lines for accessories

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all wires labeled end to end every 3 inches says what they are for exactly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so hell yea i swapped them out, that other one can go in the 48, this one is going in my 59. pop that bitch right in and looks cleaner

[​IMG]

ran the dome light wire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and ran the back end wires just like before but this time put the wire cover plate on it now since theres no more wires to run to the back along the floor board its ready to drop in the carpet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since i am doing the wiring, ill finish off all the wiring ill have to run to the back along with this

[​IMG]

rca cables, remote wire, speaker wires for speakers in dash and power cable

[​IMG]

ran out the back with plate put on, its really carpet ready now no more wires ill need to run back there

5. gallogiro

gallogiro

6. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will sit here till i get my 2 amps and figure out where im mounting them

[​IMG]

and drilled hole in firewall to connect power cable to battery

[​IMG]

start to separate the bundles and run them to where they go

[​IMG]

under dash wires that are the dash lights, radio, gauges, wipers and ac

[​IMG]

under dash switch wires that are the ignition, dimmer, headlight switch, turn signal switch and neutral safety switch

[​IMG]

and run the engine cables thru the hole to engine compartment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks alot cleaner now, before and afters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow ill wire up the tail light bezels and headlight bezels and the dash light bezels. done for the day, have to get ready for tonite my 5 de mayo weekend starts today =D

7. gallogiro

gallogiro

o and ill show you guys a little trick where this is my headunit and will run my whole sound system that will bang and theyll hear you coming for blocks

[​IMG]

thats right an ipod nano, will run whole system with NO headunit and bang like a pro system so no need to put in a head unit mounted under the dash that doesnt look right new radio with old dash, or have to mount radio in your glovebox where you have to drive with glovebox door open. as soon as i pick up 2 amps and 6 speakers and mount them ill show you guys how

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

fuck did this take a long time. top of back seat done, just need to fill and heat up vynil around the speaker port to smooth it out. ill do that saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no progress tomorrow, going to vicente fernandez concert then el rodeo nightclub so ill post more progress saturday =)[/

10. gallogiro

gallogiro

had too much fun, drank too much so spent saturday hung over then when i felt better like at 9pm i went to go see the avengers so no work done saturday. spent time with my fam this morning for mothers day then started the bottom back seat. got done alot pretty fast, stopped here but could have finished it in about 30 more min. if i finished it, it would have taken me only 2 hours to make the whole thing. ill finish up tues morn. im going to redo the bottom part of the front seat, i like the smooth one piece look better than the pieces stitched together look so thursday morning i redo the front seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

was done watching cartoons on channel 11 that start at 8 so came back in the back to get just alitte more done. all thats left now is to stick the pink foam padding on the back of the fabric and hog clip it to the seat and its done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like i said im redoing the bottom of the front seat, i like the smooth one piece look better

12. gallogiro

gallogiro

got alittle done today, was busy with other stuff but heres todays work.

time to drop the tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty decent shape, looks like i dont need a new one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i get to see the bottom of the 59

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you guys should know me by now, these are before pics and wont look like this long. sat or sunday im hitting this ;)

pulled the sending unit out

[​IMG]

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

lets see what we got here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tar, and its dry and still wet. trick here is you get acetone, that shit i use to deanodize aluminum, and ez off oven cleaner. you make a soup of it about 2 gallons. then you get a chain link a few feet long as big as you can get it thatll fit the hole of the gas tank, a few big old bolts you have laying around. put it all in the tank, cap it off and shake it around between 2 people to let all that stuff bang around in there. do it for a while, take a break, do it some more, let it sit, and do it again. thats how you clean a gas tank out ill do it sunday. then you get gas tank sealer and when its dry inside it you put that stuff in it and shake it around to coat it inside.

now lets start this so i can get it out of the way. alittle more trimming but i got this set

[​IMG]

line the trim on it

[​IMG]

had the top part with trim already sewed and ready

[​IMG]

now draw the lines to put the pieces together

[​IMG]

and sew it together and trim the extra

[​IMG]

next is center the boomerang design in the middle and sew it on. but its friday, im going out so thatll be done tomorrow morning. stopping here today =)

14. gallogiro

gallogiro

sunday, got up early today back to work, first time i use my new ez up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wanted to see what they look like, so put them on really quick. i havent done it but ill show you guys this week how you make your own cruiser skirt rubber so you dont scratch your paint, you use bicycle innertubes ill show you guys tuesday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

picture them with the ports and stars, trim and gravel guards. finally got a jack and was able to pop the back tires on the ramps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

using this, pressure washer to blast the bottom. told you guys those other pics were before pics that id get my hands on the bottom of the car

[​IMG]

before shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after i blasted it for about an hour with the pressure washer

[​IMG]

all this came off the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

now i grind, this is after i hit it with the spindle brush. took alot of the rust off the bottom and frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by the time i got done grinding, i was left with just an hour of daylight, so i put my new compressor to work, hooked my gun up and was able to alteast shoot the trunk area before the sun was gone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my 59 wont be a turntable car, or a frame off restoration, but will be a clean presentable street cruiser and daily driver. not perfect, but im not competing with nobody so i dont care im happy. you wont be able to ever see the bottom of the car, especially since im always going to drive it slammed, but will feel good knowing all this shit is gone off the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and whenever i work on the bottom of the car itll be a clean workspace if you know what i mean. thursay ill have the whole frame and bottom painted black and clean, friday ill show you guys how to replace the gas and brake lines im putting in new stainless steel lines. im tired, goodnite

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok, it didnt rain and i got to finish. that compressor was one of the best investments i made. put it up on the ramps again, tarp down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just got it and already put in some major work with it. heres what i started yesterday, and had a change of heart. no more black. blue under, black frame and running gear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gallogiro

gallogiro

19. gallogiro

gallogiro

][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nobodys ever going to see the bottom, so i dont care it doesnt look all that nice like a frame off but ill feel better knowing it doesnt look like shit and all the dirt is gone. also sealed it from rust from the bottom so im good now. leaving it up on the ramps so i can swap out the brake and gas lines and put the tank back in. tomorrow im finishing up my door panels and sunday putting the glass in the window frames. done for the day, time for a beer

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

trust me, not a frame off or perfect but i feel alot better about the condition of my car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

got this in the mail today, fuck yea its on now. 59 doesnt need it anymore but the 65 and 48 im going to redo and as creative as i am its going to be fucken cool :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got the 1.2 tip for clearcoat and basecoat, the 1.8 tip for primer and metal flake. shoots at 4 - 5 cfm at 29 psi means my new compressor is more than enough and is a pro gun. the reviews i read on it are from guys like kevin tetz and chip foose that reviewed the gun and gave it a thumbs up so i bought them

[​IMG]

this is all in needed to do full restorations from home, i dont have to borrow anyones stuff or tools so its on now wish i got these a year ago, 59 would have been done by now. i painted it myself but in someone elses place where they did the body and used a shitty harbor freight gun and compressor smaller than mine. but its on now, watch my 65 and 48 since this thing is already painted

got this today, muriatic acid to fry out all the gunk in the gas tank, and the gas tank sealer. going to get started with this right now, and pull the brake lines out. ill post pics tonite

[​IMG]

22. gallogiro

gallogiro

was quick, brake lines and fuel lines pulled. getting new fuel and gas lines to put in to replace these. these originals are all gummed up on the inside so replacing both. you can see its the whole brake lines from front tires to rear tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

right before i ran out of daylight, i poured in the muriatic acid and threw the chain in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put the cap on it, and the sending unit back in and shook it up like a maraca. let it sit for 30 min and shook it some more. was too dark to see exactly how much gunk i got out, but ill see tomorrow morning. once thats done, dry it out and use the sealer and its like new

[​IMG]

tomorrow ill be up early working on it, want the glass done on it atleast, but ill see what i get done on it. been lazy with it last 2 weekends but ill get back on it its just this damn heat

23. gallogiro

gallogiro

hot ass day so i didnt get to do much, cleaned my gas tank tho and im going to let it sit and dry out in the sun all day tomorro so i can seal it with the tank sealer. threw both these jugs in it at once with the chain, fuck it

[​IMG]

let it sit for an hour flat, then on its side, then the other side, then upside down, then on its ends

[​IMG]

then shook it up with the chain in it, uncapped it and poured water in it, then out comes the coffee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    remember the rusty chain before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not only did it remove the rust, but it etched it

[​IMG]

so now it dries, all that rust is out of it, seal it tomorrow and then the gas lines go in. done for the day, going to see my girl. tomorrow ill seal it then put it back in the car then do the glass

24. gallogiro

gallogiro

doesnt look like much what i got done this weekend, but got the brake and gas lines out and ready to replace, cleaned out my gas tank and that took a shitload of my time, and my buddy herm sealed a leak it had thanks bro, and took care of this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on thursday the roof rail weatherstripping, glass, and rear glass goes in

25. gallogiro

gallogiro

didnt get anything done on my car, just drove to orange to truck and car shop to get more glass setting tape to do the rear windows now theyre all done

[​IMG]

got my fuel line

[​IMG]

and my brake lines are coming in the mail. got the gaskets for my taillights so i can put them on the body now

[​IMG]

got the gas sending unit for my tank

[​IMG]

rollers for my windows

[​IMG]

and complete lock set for it, doors glovebox trunk and ignition. also got gas cap

[​IMG]

which means after a year, i finally have the keys to my car

[​IMG]

also got my speedo lens and gas lens that i had that was cracked too. how all this added up to $430 bucks i dont know but it did. but well worth it. tomorrow morning im back to work on it

26. gallogiro

gallogiro

hell yea im motivated i want to get this thing on the road. had company over for a bit but today got this done

tank is dry, so pour this in

[​IMG]
    pour that motherfucker down in here

[​IMG]

shake it up for about 15 min, then open the top and bottom and let the excess drain out

[​IMG]

a few hours later after sitting in the sun, lets take a peek inside this motherfucker see how it looks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like a brand new tank. says it has to sit 92 hours to cure. no problem just glad its sealed now.

picked these up from where we had them stored. its funny exactly a year ago we put them away as we were getting it ready to go to the body shop

[​IMG]

was a pain in the ass, year old sticky duct tape sticky was on it. had to use sos pad and gasoline to get that shit off

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doesnt seem like much today, but took a long ass time cleaning that windshield. popping them in tomorrow, then get ready for the fight party im going to. im going for pacquiao.[/QUOTE]

27. gallogiro

gallogiro

sat these bitches out in the sun to warm up and get soft. gaskets and headliner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you cant put the headliner in with the windshield on, so headliner goes in first

got silicone to seal, and rope to pull the gasket

[​IMG]

o and clean these out, pull them up and clean the base, then run some water thru them to get all the shit out of them. they plumb down to this nipple coming out the side of your firewall from the windshield gutter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the windshield, it will have to wait till thursday. i realized i have to replace the material where the headliner staples to

[​IMG]

put the clips on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

run some silicone on the gutter, some on the gasket, run rope thru the inside seal, place the glass and pull the rope to get the seal to wrap on the inside of the car. now i have back glass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

windshield, headliner and side glass thursday. friday carpet, seats, panels and inside trim go

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

got my brake lines in today in the mail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they are these, coated with pvf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300717584938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i go on corvette, camaro and nova forums where i get info on performance stuff for engine and drivetrain/suspension. they use these type of brake lines more than stainless and all recommend it. also you can bend them by hand. but they all say they use these only now in theyre restorations so i found a set and got it. not bad too for under 60 bucks to do youre whole car front to back. what i have planned if i dont go to universal studios tomorrow is put the windshield and headliner in then put my gas tank back in. friday run these lines and my gas lines. saturday morning put the side glass and weatherstripping in and sunday redo the rear brakes and panels on my trunk. when you think about it, its almost there cause when the glass and weatherstripping is in, all the interior goes in

29. gallogiro

gallogiro

started late, i had to take care of some business early in the day. got this far today

you get some of this shit, its like wood paneling for walls. i posted pics of it a page before im using this wood stuff to make the panels for my trunk

[​IMG]

use some cardboard to make templates to cut out the wood

[​IMG]

take your power drill with a 1/8 bit and drill holes for screws

[​IMG]

once you cut out, wrap with masking tape to hold it together, glue with weatherstrip glue (dries in an hour), and you got new material to staple your healiner to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

worked great, staple that fucker on now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ran out of daylight, wrap up headliner tomorrow

[​IMG]

30. gallogiro

gallogiro

grabbed my gun and my compressor

[​IMG]

then went to one of my paint departments here at home

[​IMG]

yea i sprayed it there, i had a tarp down but in the pic i took it out

and my tank is black like the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

while that dried, i got the windshield in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

took 3 tries to get in in just right. exuse the smears, its the silicone ill just wait for it to dry and scrape it off with a razor instead of smear it trying to wipe it. came in really quick to post this, still working on it till sun goes down. its starting to look like a car now