Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

i want it back home already were just up there doing little odds and ends before i bring it back. i just sit here at home when im home from work and my days off waiting fucken dead time. i started off fast, got alot done and was on track till it went up there. same week its back tho im doing the floors, putting in carpet and seats and panels, swapping the drums to disk and putting the front and back glass back in.

did this with my dead time cant find anything else to do. the record player going into my 59 its an arc 2500 45rpm record player. the guts right now are at hcat's shop getting redone so it works like new and changing the output to run off rca cables to my amp not the antenna output. you record player guys know what im talking about

matches my seats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok here i go, with my little pictures like you guys say

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gallogiro

gallogiro

yes very close. actually im doing the door jambs tomorrow morning its the last thing i need to do then it comes home and back on track with the restoration. heres the problem, i can get the trailer, and the truck to pull it, but i dont want to pull it myself me or noone i know around here has hauled a car before and theres a steep downhill slope coming from the high desert. if it wasnt for that, it would be home by tomorrow nite

small pic =b

[​IMG]

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

seen pics with and with out it, so snatched this up today

[​IMG]

5. gallogiro

gallogiro

not home yet, but i have the truck and trailer/hauler on standby cause the weather is all fucked up right now ill post pics of it getting brought home. got this today at truckandcarshop in orange. thanks for the help and advice conrad :) one more step closer, both sides full glass, ran about 200 bucks and the windshield and rear window seal gasket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

was cheaper here, all of it brand new for about 200 bucks when online its 300+ bucks. with new paint and body, engine done, interior done (just waiting on my carpet i ordered) and all my trims polished, this is all it needed to wrap up most of the major work. just need to chrome my bumpers and bumper guard and drop in the engine and im almost there :cool:

6. gallogiro

gallogiro

did this tonite since i dont have my car back yet and want to keep busy. you get the board for 4 bucks at home depot its in the section that has cabinet lining boards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im using the same star material that comes along with the headliner, but drawing up some designs im sewing into it, ill show pics of what i came up with when im done ;)

[​IMG]

and thanks johner, also yea i saw them with and without, and is defenitely a must im glad i got the guard im very happy with it. thanks to the homie in sf valley you hooked me up =D

ok, SAME process as the aluminum and stainless steel trims

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

start sanding with 400 grit, then 600, then 800, then 1500 to 2000 wetsand. then rub down with this stuff

[​IMG]

and theyll shine up clean and super black, it was even hard to take a pic cause they came out so black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gallogiro

gallogiro

rebuild is at a crawl right now cause car is in paint jail and just like real jail processing out takes longer than booking in and while youre in, you have no idea when youre getting out.

today since i bought the new glass, i tore out the old glass and am cleaning up tomorrow the chrome frames

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also im flying original 56 plates in it, but not sure if theyll go with the plates im was planning to run on it, was going to use these. theyre plastic but not repops and still in wrapper

[​IMG]

so if anyone has any cool old plates that say los angeles or felix plates and would like to trade hit me up. if its some real old ones ill throw this in too

[​IMG]

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

5:20 Sunday where I'm at right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

10. gallogiro

gallogiro

Happy Easter to everyone, Jesus rises again. Hope you guys are having a nice Easter Sunday with your families. I am here, enjoying it with mine. Extra special Easter for me, found me this nice blue egg for Easter that's sitting in my driveway now :) thank you very much Chris, you are a true friend, and thank you god again, I owe you one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pit stop on our way down to Hawaiian bbq, fuck it, take up all these spaces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

excuse the bird shit on the 65, my 59 sitting in its new spot at home next to my other toys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres my lineup, the 48 is going to get painted next in a few days, then the 65 same color but flakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i have a 40s car a 50s car and a 60s car. eventually ill have a 30s bomb, 70s monte and i miss my cutlass so ill have an 80s cutlass. with time ill have it, but will have a car from each decade =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since the first day it came it went straight to my homies house where i started working on it, it just got dropped off from the transport truck then pushed there. now its home for good. now watch

12. gallogiro

gallogiro

this build is not a frame off, but am cleaning up the frame and underbody i plan to go under it and with a wire wheel take care of the whole bottom and spray it to seal it. got the car back sunday, worked mon to wed, now finally my first day working on it i cleaned up the front frame. had on old ass grease i had to hit with the spindle brush and a screwdriver and hammer. after that i hit it with a pressure washer, then hit it again with the spindle brush and after sprayed primer then black. with all the stuff back on you wont be able to see most of this but i still wanted to clean it up so when i do work on it down there its not all fucked up and dirty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started getting cold you can see in the picture so had to stop here and cover it up

[​IMG]

going to rain tomorrow so i cant work on the car outside, so ill be in here the whole day wrapping up the back seat and finishing up some little extras im working on for it

[​IMG]

and saturday when the rain is gone, going to get on this its ready to go in so after i can put on the whitewalls

[​IMG]

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

rainy day, couldnt work on my 59 so i had to stay indoors in my shop and work on something for the 59. did this, took me 10 hours from sanding and polishing to painting to redoing upholstery, but heres what i busted out on this rainy day

picked this up a few days ago off ebay, offered 50 bucks and she took it

[​IMG]

now ive done one of these before, one i wish i hadnt sold that was going to go in my 48, used hampton coach fabric same as og seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well the one i bought i got it on monday in the mail, looked like shit

[​IMG]

sanded, polished, painted and redone. here it is now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like chrome, was nothing like this when i got it

[​IMG]

little seams like og seat

[​IMG]

shiny piping like og seat

[​IMG]

how it looks with og

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eljorger likes this.
  14. gallogiro

gallogiro

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

making it was interesting, everything was baby sized

new cardboard i made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

we eyeballed it and it was trial and error but now that we saw how its done, itll take us about 15 min to do each side its that quick and easy

wheels off

[​IMG]

old drums, no good unless theyre rebuilt but 220 bucks got me disc kit

[​IMG]

ripped it out, when they said ball bearings they meant ball bearings

[​IMG]

put the brackets in

[​IMG]

greased the bearings and put in rotor, calipers on, hoses bolted, now i got disc breaks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put away for the day, tomorrow when im back from pomona looking for my carburetor, i do the interior floor, rust proof it and seal it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

get the fuck out of here with this shit :mad:

[​IMG]

more progress and pics tomorrow

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

thursday i cleaned up my frame, friday i made the baby seat, saturday i converted from drum to disc, and today this. i put in some work this weekend

whitewalls!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

floors are solid, but grimy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spent an hour grinding away at some of the minor rust and grime, then used this

[​IMG]

i rolled it on not sprayed it to make sure it got a thick coat

they have this at home depot, 5 bucks. its single use no point even trying to clean it up that shit is like tar just toss it

[​IMG]

now my floor is sealed, i dont have to worry when it rains anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

floor is sealed, now use this. its for fixing leaks in roofing, so its excellent for car floors if you have any pin holes or to keep water out. so with the rust sealer plus this on it, my floors are pretty much water resistant. b

[​IMG]

but the real reason i used this is because it is an excellent sound and heat shield, like dynamat and at less than half the cost. each roll is 15 bucks, i used 3 rolls to do floor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for next week, thursday do my trunk, friday finish my back seat, satruday finish my door panels and sunday put the 59 up on ramps and jackstands and clean up, rust proof and paint the frame and under the car

19. gallogiro

gallogiro

thursday, back to work on 59. spent the morning driving to truck and car shop in orange to pick up my carpet i got the tuxedo loop with the black specks on it like salt and pepper, all the interior door handles, exchanged my glass from clear to coke bottle green tint ;) and the glass setting tape, and the complete weatherstripping kit from cowl to trunk including the window felts and vent window seals. now my car floor being sealed now will be weatherproofed too

[​IMG]

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

][​IMG]

mock up of what itll look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all the stuff i got today the weatherstripping is complete kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

then when i got home, got back to work on it. started my trunk. i thought id have it grinded and ready to rust proof and seal in an hour... i was wrong. its more surface than inside floor so it took me most of afternoon cause i had to get floor, upper deck, sides, wheelwells, spare tire well, behind taillights and under the weatherstrip rail and under rear deck. heres before pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after i spindle brushed it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put in my own work, not afraid to get dirty. dustmasks dont really work its more like just so shit dont fly in your mouth but dust still gets thru

[​IMG]

heres why i bought the car with only seeing pictures, check out my weatherstrip gutter. some of the 59s i saw before i found mine had this rotted away so bad it was gone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is under the rear deck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow, i put rust sealer on the trunk floor and in my rain and weatherstripping gutters and inner door bottoms, then paint the inside trunk white. the whole trunk will get upholstered but still want it clean under the upholstery. then saturday im crawling under it to grind the bottom then spray it with rust sealer. sunday finally finish my back seat and then back to work at my real job and school till next thurs

22. gallogiro

gallogiro

my load when i was leaving truck and car shop

[​IMG]

oh and i got my headliner so now my interior is complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. gallogiro

gallogiro

i liked how this looked, so i took a picture before i climbed back into the trunk to keep grinding

[​IMG]

24. gallogiro

gallogiro

todays work, doesnt seem like much but fuck did it take a long time to do. cleaned up the weatherstripping gutters to coat with rust sealer. i wanted it done good because this rots within the one rainy season so now itll be sealed for good, coating the inside and bottom with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

done for the nite, ill finish this up tomorrow morning then paint it white to make it look clean back there

25. gallogiro

gallogiro

Back to work today, I know its late its 1:50 but its fucken hot today I had to wait for the shade from my palm trees to hit this part of my driveway so I can start

[​IMG]

I'm going to bust this out till I run out of daylight hopefully ill have trunk sealed and painted by then. I'll list pics by 9 tonite

26. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok so you guys remember where i left off yesterday. i had the weatherstripping gutters cleaned out which took all day and the trunk floor was already grinded. today i grinded around the rear window especially the corners where water just eats it up, got it all down to bare metal and masked off the rest so i dont drip on the body. here it is now rust free and rust sealed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got it all up in those gutters, even was able to reach in and get it in the inside seam of the wings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i forgot to take pictures but i got the bottom under and sides of the gutters real good too so its protected on both sides. it can rain allll it wants now i dont have to worry

27. gallogiro

gallogiro

]prep my detail gun, covered it up. tomorrow prep it again and spray my trunk white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

sky view, floor and trunk done. almost there almost starts going back together

[​IMG]

staying out in driveway so i dont have to push it out again in morning but i put 2 cars infront of it to be sure. that and my window is right there, got a big surprise for anyone that tries to jump my fence to get to it :cool: as soon as sun hits im taking the cover off so itll dry even better by noon and i can paint early and in afternoon put the trunk weatherstripping on, so the trunk lid was thrown in the back till im done

[​IMG]

with the trunk weatherstrip on, that means one thing, time to upholster the trunk i got big plans for the trunk, you guys are going to be like oh shit. since theres no og way of doing trunk besides laying a mat in it, i can customize the shit out of it and get very creative, already started cutting out board panels for the sides and back along with thin plywood floor as a base

last pics for the nite, i was cleaning up when i was done and when i was going to push it back alittle to stick the other cars on the driveway i was like what the fuck? didnt spot it earlier. do you guys see something strange in this pic?

[​IMG]

what the fuck is that all about? bad omen

[​IMG]

anyways, tomorrow spraying the trunk white, sealing the inside doors, sealing the inside roof and the weatherstrip gutter for the front windshield. im done for the nite, getting ready now going to el rodeo nightclub in pico rivera

29. gallogiro

gallogiro

took it easy today, i did work on my 59 but at relaxed pace cause what i wanted to do was pretty quick, to grind down the windshield and rain gutters and seal them and do the underside of the roof. got it all done, now my car is pretty much rust treated and im not worried about rain anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next week i rewire the car, all glass, windshield and back glass goes in along with the weatherstripping, and the back seat gets done

30. gallogiro

gallogiro

got this far today, sun is still up but its too hot i need a break for the day. tomorrow im dropping the thank and hitting the frame and undercarriage, ill post pics tomorrow nite. heres todays work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i know you wont see any of this i did today with the interior in it and in the trunk too when i do the upholstery in the trunk, but i dont want it rusting up on me under all of the upholstery i still feel better knowing its nice and clean under there, and dont want to worry about it rotting more everytime it rains. back to work tomorrow ill post pics by