Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 GMC 250 build advice please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin S Bernhardt, Sep 21, 2019.

1. I am hoping i can get some advice on a big decision for my 1959 gmc 250 pickup. I have to choose between keeping the original chassis, with an upgraded 1970s 8 lug 14 bolt rear end and disc brakes, or option b is to put a 1970-81 camaro/firebird subframe and go with 5 bolt front and rear axles.

I am wanting a truck that is fun to drive around down. Keeping the original 4 speed with a 283. I would like the ability to drive a couple hours on the highway here and there, and i did not know how much of an impact the front subframe would have.

Thanks in advance-

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Going with plan b will give you more options wheel wise. Lots of those series trucks got the Camaro sub frame treatment.. I have a OT 1978 Camaro sub in the way now.:D Where are you located ?

3. squirrel

squirrel

If you want to keep it a 3/4 ton truck, then keep it a 3/4 ton truck. If you want to turn it into a car that looks like a truck, then go with the subframe, redo the rear suspension with 1/2 ton leafs or something, and get rid of the truck 4 speed, use an auto trans or a car 4 speed.

but this is all just my opinion. I dont know what you really want. I've done it both ways, the subframed one got a lot more miles.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

The question to answer, is how well do you like how it handles and rides now? If you can't stand it, then go ahead and change it. But if you don't mind it at all, then why bother?

squirrel likes this.

5. Plan B would be my choice out of those two, I did one that way around 1990 and it's still on the road getting lots of use.
    100_4638.jpg

6. ..I vote for plan B...
    55 chev  good 002.jpg