Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 ford sunliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by normanpitkin, May 15, 2021.

1. normanpitkin

normanpitkin
    from london

hi
    I am going to see a 59 ford sunliner galaxie with the three speed auto ,352 engine and all power options ,is there anything in particular to look out for ,any known weaknesses or faults in these? Thanks in advance for the help!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Just check the usual spots for rust.... floors, rockers wheelwells.
    Also check the windshield gasket for large cracks cause that'll cause leaks to th interior.
    As far as engine and trany go.... that 352 isn't a bad motor, just heavy as hell.
    But I have heard some bad things about the 3spd trannies.
    If you pick it up you might consider swapping a c6 in there.
    Please let us know how it works out and, if you can POST PICTURES PLEASE!
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First cruise-o-mastic were good and strong better a couple of lears later but no big deal. Look in the trunk at the bottom under where the top sat. Another place for rust from sitting water. Where is it located...

4. normanpitkin

normanpitkin
    from london

Car is in the north of England and I am in the south! Car has been frame off restored in florida in 2011 but just wondered if there were any notorious weak areas to look at ,there isnt any rust on the car but its things like the power brake set up or the power steering that I worry about ,as the cost and availability of parts might be awful!

5. If it’s the bellow type power brake setup. There is rebuild kit available. I would inspect the air intake grate just to see if that was cleaned up. And at the corners under the dash. Pretty much check if all the hard parts (trims, small pieces) are there seeing you are in the UK. Finding part will cost more in shipping.

check to see if the rear qtr panels were repaired decently. From inside the trunk. Same for the trunk floor. Check the front floor from under. If it is power check to see if the windows work. Make sure the top works or all the parts are there.

chryslerfan55 and normanpitkin like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Factory power steering on a '59 is the type with a hydraulic ram in the steering linkage. If the ram gets pitted they leak, they're kind of an awkward setup but they work nice when everything is right.

I would pay close attention to the header bow in the convertible top. They have a tendency to rust out, even on dry cars, and replacements are near impossible to get. Look at where the top covers it, tell-tale bumps and blisters under the top material are an indicator it's rusty under there or was repaired poorly.

normanpitkin and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have always liked this model 20210515_123902.jpg

8. CME1

CME1

Yes, and the car looks pretty nice too!:rolleyes:

9. What @CME1 said.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.