Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1959 Ford Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COMMUTER61, Jul 14, 2019.

1. COMMUTER61

COMMUTER61

Back in the 60's, my grandfather had a 1959 Ford custom fordor sedan. it was his company car. His 1960 Fairlane sat comfortably in the garage.This 59 was middle of the road for a custom. It had a 292 with 2 speed fordomatic. radio delete , clock delete.manual steering manual brakes, black in color with red vynal guts.The question I have is this... This car did not have backup lights. It had a plate with a four pointed type star or something along that line in place of the backup lens. My brother and I have discussed this over the years, along with a cousin of mine .I have never seen another.This was in Louisville KY. The car belonged to the Louisville transit company.it was eventually replaced with a 64 custom 500.I loved riding in this back thing with it's wraparound windshield and tail fins. Has anyone ever seen this delete plate. Going by memory it reminded me of the end grille panel with the star like in a ford cabover c-series, or the plate on a 1957 Chevy passenger car grille guard without the rubber tips. Thanks for any response.

loudbang likes this.
  2. My Dad had a '59 Custom 300, black and white 4 door car. He only had it for 1 year and traded it in on a '60 Fairlane. Don't remember the reasoning there as I was only 9 or 10 years old. I can't remember those block off plates that you mention, but it wouldn't be a surprise that they existed. For many years, especially in the late 40's -early '50's, back-up lights were an option, so a base model such as you described likely did not have them.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I just referenced my copy of Ford's 1960 Buyer's Digest. (Sorry, I don't have a 07142019.jpg 07142019_0001.jpg '59 issue). It indicates back up lights as standard on Starliner, Sunliner and Galaxies, but a $10.70 option on other models!......Don.

loudbang likes this.
  4. My father bought a new 59 ford 223 six 2 speed auto. it didn't have back up lights. Biggest POS car he ever owned. By 1962 the engine and trans where shot. He bought a bondo bomb 56 was gonna use the Y block and trans. The 56 had bad valves and would catch the teapot carb on fire. He pulled the heads to do a valve job and it never got put back together. Then he bought a 59 gal 500 cop car. 300 Hp 352 interceptor eng. My mother was afraid of it and drove with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. burnt the crusomatic to a crisp. I stole the 352 in 64 and put it in a 56 HTp I had. I Replaced the FE in the 59 with my Y block boat anchor. Then cut the hood release cable. It was decades before anyone ever opened the hood on it. I still have that 59 FE engine.

Register now to get rid of these ads!