Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 El Camino - What have I gotten myself into?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Aug 15, 2010.

1. All those things I mentioned, fit wagons too.. Ignition switch fits all. I think they might come out of the wordwork.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks Mike! Didn't want to have to drag you down to my level and beat you with experience ya know!!!

3. hemifarris

hemifarris

That's funny. Some smart guy must have told you that....;)

4. Toner283

Toner283

Cool, Thanks. I sent you a PM so I don't hijack harrisons thread

.........Speaking of which, Harrison, we need MORE pics. have you hosed the car out & got any new ones yet? :)

5. No man. I left the El Camino at my friend's shop in Georgia. It'll be a while before I can get it home & start on it.

I have to finish my '32 first.

JH

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The panels came with the car, but they were from Late Great Chevy from the mid 90s which got bought up by Eckler's Corvettes years ago, now it's The El Camino Store.

7. Thanks Jim, I was just kidding! Next time you come to GA let me know! That girl in your avatar lose some weight or is it just a good picture? That's the last thing I thought I'd see you use for an avatar -ha ha ha

8. Thanks Nads. I'll look them up.

I'm just full of surprises aren't I?

JH

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just noticed that thing has alabama plates.cool. (ROLL TIDE) where abouts did you find the cars. there used to be a bunch in nashville up on a hill. had to use a tractor to get to them.i remeber them because one had the bumper guard/tube grill. but thats been about 15 years ago. there used to be a place calls (BILLS) i think, sheetmetal that used to advertise in the "old car auto trader" that had the lower tailgate sections. but i can't find any info on it now .i've had a drink or 2 and raised 2 grown kids since then.still the most fun car i ever had/have.

10. I got mine at an auction in Phenix, AL. It had been parked since '84.

Are the ones in Nashville still there?

JH

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

You're gunna be out a lot of dough, in welding wire and shield gas, alone !

Gotta love those damn things.

Rich

12. Ohh, El Caminos....I REALLY want one, any year is good for me.

Be patient and it could be a super cool ride!

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

phenix city al,? that 46 plate thats macon county.on the stateline.i don't know if they (nashville cars) are still there,don't think i could go back if i had to.

14. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

You've got yourself into about $150,000.00 worth of rebuilding. What the heck!! Have fun.

The Old Tinbasher

15. gt281stang

gt281stang
    from Pryor,Ok

That is AWESOME, 59 Elco's and Impalas are my fav's by far! My older brother had a 59 Imp when I was just a little guy and I loved that car!

16. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

i got all my patch panels from the el camino store...when it was the real el camino store...ecklers bought them out a couple years ago and I dont like their customer service...i waited on a backordered part for 4 months, but they said they had it when I first ordered it....they were originally out of Goleta (20 mins north of santa barbara)...it was kool cuz i was able to drive down there and pick up those big quarter panels and save on the oversize truck freight..

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

When Late Great Chevy was down the street in Apopka I just went and got parts from there. Danny Howell still owns Southeast Chevy Parts, 407 886 1963, they still have a yard full of 55 to 64 Chevys, most junk, but they have trailers full of parts, call 'em, ya never know.

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

dang, danny howell haven't heard that name in years.although i did think it was denny.knew him from the classic chevy club,the early years

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I thought it was Denny too, but it says DAnny on his card now, I used to be a CCI member back in 64 when it was on Sunshine Lane in Altamonte Springs. I found so much rare stuff in their 'jun' room in the back.

20. flat top austin

flat top austin

How much for the grill?

21. XcentricOrbit

XcentricOrbit
    from Florida

Two different people, same company. Danny Howell was the owner (and salesman extraordinaire), and Denny Williams was a VP and writer/editor/photographer for the Late Great Chevy magazine, among other things. I used to work for Late Great, about a decade ago. Good guys, both of them. Haven't seen hide nor hair of them for quite a while now.

And thanks, Nads. I was trying to find a number to contact Danny, and stumbled on this post! Didn't realize he had kept the junk yard out back open this long. And even kept the phone number, it looks like.

22. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  23. the-rodster

the-rodster

Don't you just LOVE rust?

Rich

24. I have 4 kick ass Kraco 6 x 9's if you want them. I'll hold them till your ready of course! So what do you think - what have you gotten into?

25. I still don't know. It is still in GA. A friend is down there & sent me these pics yesterday.

Looks like a bunch of sheetmetal work - but I like sheetmetal work. ;)

JH

26. davidh73750

davidh73750

a little inspiration here

Attached Files:

27. t haskins

t haskins

Update to all since i found the thread and see jim didnt update he sold the elc to me in va i never saw it in person sent the money had it picked up and delivered siting in the shed waiting on its turn at dismantling sandblasting and many hours of metal work all in all isnt to bad rockers floor pans qtr bottoms bed floor and doors doors going to take alot if time

28. Glad to see you on here. Please keep us updated. There's a lot of work to be done there for sure but it'll be worth the effort.

I HATED to let it go but I just didn't have the time or space to take it on. Figured it would be better to let someone else have it than to let it continue to sit and rust.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

JH

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. t haskins

t haskins

Update car is in the shop since im just making a shop truck out of it made floor pans and rear under seat piece someone explain how ill put up pictures found a guy in nc with 4 parts 59 elcs and alot of other 59s has a 2dr wagon as well sandblasted hood front edge has some rust but fixable other than that only a few dents fixing it now fenders next

30. t haskins

t haskins

Figured it out

Attached Files: