Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 El Camino - What have I gotten myself into?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Last week a friend sent a link to an auction. In the mix were two '59 El Caminos. I've wanted one forever. I posted this hoping for some advice on what this junk was worth: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501121.

I went to the auction with some friends and was able to buy one of the cars. The other looked better but really was in about the same condition. It had most of it's stainless on it but the one I won had 90% of it's stainless in the bed - buried under the leaves.

All in all, I'm pleased. I got a rough '59, a decent tinted front window and nice tinted back glass and vent windows, a nice bumper guard, and some good trim pieces. If I can find a better '59, I'll part this one out. If not, I'll just build this one.

I had never sat in a '59 El Camino before Saturday. Inside it, I felt like George Jetson looking out over long fenders with big wings behind me. Weezner's bubble-top flying cars came to mind also. When we started to haul it out the rag joint in the steering broke and the brakes didn't work so I just got out & enjoyed watching "hover" out of the woods & up the street to the trailer.

JH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. henry29

henry29

I thought that one looked better anyway, at least it wasn't sitting on the frame like the other one.
    Do have any pics since you got it home?

3. You crazy!:D I totally dig those car/trucks! So what are your plans for it, besides rust repair...

-Shiny

4. Henry, I dropped it in GA at a friend's shop. It doesn't look any better there than it did in the woods though. ;)

Shiny, the plan calls for a lot of rust repair, bags, Aspen Green paint on a stock body, stock guts, and mild 350. It'll be my daily when my oldest son gets my late model truck in a few years.

JH

5. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

looks like a good project, I guess I'll let you off the hook for not coming over and helping me friday. good luck Jim

6. Tinted glass? California car?
    One piece rr bmpr = cool
    All the window stainless is there. Trying to find another piece that fits like 'thee' original, is always an issue.
    Has the Impala dash trim, too!
    I am interested to see the bedfloors & and the usual cancer spots!

Look forward to the updates! Jay

7. Kinky6

Kinky6

Congrats on scoring a wild looking project! :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

OMG--- those things are rust buckets even back here on the dry windy plains----I wish you well.

9. YoungGun

YoungGun

My uncle has one he bought new its in killer shape but he let my cousin destroy it but they look great fixed

10. 59 brook

59 brook

neat project. i have a lot of extra parts from my wagon let me know if you need anything

11. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

JH, thats a pretty nice looking project you have and you will happy with end result when your done. El Camino's have been pretty populer ride lately for some reason and one can see why. Good luck with the project and will be keeping eye on this build... PM sent.

12. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

I love those things, I'd like to find one myself when my budget allows me to. Good find and I'll be watching,now get to work!!!:D

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

'59 El Caminos are great lookers. I bought mine in May. Hopefully, you'll keep the updates coming.......Mike

Attached Files:

14. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Definitely a great looking matchine

15. Mike, yours haunts me. Love that car (or is it a truck?).

Can you give me some info on your wheel/tire size? Backspacing on the wheels too if possible?

What did you do to lower it?

Thanks, Jim

16. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Jim,
    I'm not feeling well and I'm going to bed. I'll PM you tomorrow with the information.....Mike

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats Jim on scoring a favorite car/truck of mine since I rode in a brand new one in 1959. I've looked for years for a candidate to rebuild but here in Michigan all you get is from the door handles up that's recognizable and the rest is just a brown stain on the ground.
    I'll be watching to see what you do with it and when it's finished I'll trade you for your old '38 Deluxe...........sound like a deal?

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Toner283

Toner283

Cool stuff, Glad to see another 59 elky owner. One of the coolest cars ever made IMO.

California rear bumper (one piece - most are 3 piece bumpers) is a good score. Did you check to see if it has a cali front bumper as well? the regular bumpers are two pieces bolted together in the middle the cali bumpers are one piece.

Post up some more pics when you get it home & cleaned up.

Don't let the guys that say "they all are rust buckets" scare ya. most of the replacement sheet metal is available to be able to fix it properly. They are worth the effort needed to bring them back.

Plus if you think yours is bad, check out Skim's rebuild. It is an Impala not an elky but it proves that anything can be saved if you want it bad enough. (He's a HAMBer too)

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=686

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

At least yours does have the tail lights :D

I love the 59 and 60 El Caminos ... never had either but I have had a few El Caminos from 1970 to 1979 ... :D

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bitchin'! But I have warn you, you are entering a whole new phase of rust repair! Yes, you can buy every panel on the thing new, but most of the time you have to! I lusted and yearned for one forever, found a good western candidate - or so I thought... I replaced every thing from the door handles down. Litterally, everything! Went to prep the top, pulled the stainless above the drip rails and the top skin came off with them... Prove me wrong though please! I had the same Jetson fantasy sitting in mine!

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Now I have "Meet George Jetson..." going through my head! I'm gonna go sing it to my wife & drive her nuts. Thanks:D

22. SLAMED 59

SLAMED 59

nice score got the cal grill to
    tube_ad1.jpg

23. Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm excited about this one.

Rust repair - even this much - doesn't scare me at all. I'm a far better body man than I am a chassis builder or mechanic. I have to get my '32 finished before I can dive into the '59 though.

If driving the '32 wasn't motivation enough, this sure stokes the fire.

JH

24. henry29

henry29

What the hell happened to Boyd in your avatar?

25. fbama73

fbama73

If it was easy, everyone would have one. Bravo to you for taking it on!

26. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Congrats on the new car! On the plus side, the tires are still on the bead!

27. Sauli

Sauli

Congrats on a cool save, and Aspen Green on a stock body sounds like a plan!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy goatshit 'farris. I really like that car. It sits right and looks all pissed off and...aww fuck it, I hate you!! :cool::cool::cool:

29. I upgraded to Snooki. ;)

JH

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i've been driving one of these puppies off and on for 20-25 years.now my car is pretty rufffff.but by far the most fun car i have ever had.:cool::D