Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 dodge 318 polyhead is it junk/worthwhile?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Feb 23, 2010.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

found a 1959 dodge 318 polyhead a block engine that was running when pulled has a 3 speed tied to it. fresh rebuild. guy needed it gone $50. is it a decent engine? I figured for the price it was worth pickin up either way.

2. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

In 2bll carb. form their usually rated at 230 h.p. I know Isky still makes cams for them and Weiand did make a dual plane 4 bll. intake as well. I think the 4 bll. factor rating was 260 h.p. A pretty reliable motor and can't think of any reason not to run it in something. They also have adjustable valves so you might need to go through and do a periodic valve adjustment. Had one in a 61 Dodge Phoniex, did great for me and delivered good gas milage.

Michael

3. adamshumard

adamshumard

I just really figured for the price i SHOULD pick it up. I really have no use for it right now, but i'm sure it will find a home somewhere eventually

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

here it is

Attached Files:

5. George

George

They're good engines. "Panic" & "Abomination" are both big fans of them. They could be stroked & bored out as much as 402. A number of threads on the "A" Polys.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

$50??? You're asking if you should pick up a running poly with the trans for $50??!:confused::eek:

7. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

strong engines and can be built up, as previously mentioned, lots of hop up stuff still available.....why not for the price of a tank of gas, do it.

8. If you don't want it, send it to me :)

9. George

George

Yeah, I'd be all over that if it was close!

10. Buy it now. Some port work, a decent cam, weiand 4 barrel intake and some headers and you will have a very solid great performing engine that looks absolutely nothing like a small block chivvy - that is to say it looks cool.:)

11. inkmunky

inkmunky

Buy it for $50 and then i'll give you $100 for it, bam, you just doubled your money :D

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great engines!! Always thought they had high "cool factor" in the looks department as well.

13. I have one in my 49 Dodge Wayfarer. I'll give you a few bucks if you decide to sell.

Attached Files:

14. 73RR

73RR

Since Jason hasn't jumped in I'll offer a couple of thoughts.
    All of the A series engines up to 1962, share the same bellhousing layout as the EarlyHemi, and they also share the same 8-bolt crankshaft flange arrangement. What does this mean to you? If you were to put in a '63 or later crank then you will be making a one-off trans adapter to 'fix' the now short crank. Or, if you wanted to use a later Torqueflite or 4-speed with the engine as it is, you will need the 'usual' EarlyHemi adapter.

If you use the engine & trans as is you are good to go, just keep the block/crank issues in mind.

Gary

15. A rebuilt V8 with a manual trans for $50?

I'd be looking for an A or similar to build around it - even if it was a Toyota motor.

16. adamshumard

adamshumard

I already bought it as soon as I saw it for sale. I was actually asking if it was a decent motor. I know of a 41 dodge pickup and a 30ish Victory 6 4 door sedan. Either would be a cool home for it. I'm glad to hear there are some speed parts. Thats more what I was looking to find out.

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Count me with the lovers, just 'cause its a Mopar and it has cool valve covers. There are better engines to go fast with, but a Poly just looks a lot cooler than a lot of 'em!

18. George

George

318 Poly "A" Yahoo group The 2X4 intake is cheaper than the 4 bl intake, the Wieand 4 bl intake is pricey & hard to find. There's a build chapter in Tex Smith's hemi book by Ron Ceridono.

19. Frank

Frank

i'll ask an ignert question.

I thought I had heard that hemi heads would bolt on to a poly because they are the same block. I know I read this somewhere, yet no one has mentioned it in this thread. Is it possible? If so, why hasn't anyone mentioned it?

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

The '59 318 is a totally different engine than the earlier poly/hemi engines and cannot be converted to a hemi by changing the heads. The A series 318 is the predecessor to the LA family of small blocks eg: 318, 340, 360.

21. adamshumard

adamshumard

FRANK - is that avatar a RAT ROD???? sorry, couldn't resist

22. Abomination

Abomination

LIKE 'em?

Hell, George - I sleep with one.

~Jason

23. retromotors

retromotors

If ya don't mind my askin' .....

How was it?

Did it expect ya to snuggle afterward .....???

Inquiring minds want to know! :D:D:D

24. George

George

He gets head X 2!:p

25. Abomination

Abomination

It's super hot.

One night, I burned my fuckin' weenis...

~Jason

26. 73RR

73RR

Jason, so nice to see ya back fielding bone-headed questions...:eek:

Gary

27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

$50 is chump change for a mill and transmission id even run the 3 speed ,

28. I have dealings with 2 of these 318's they great relieable motors , one a '67 fury wagon one ina '67 dodge p.u. . They had lots of grunt stock so hopping them up would be interesting. I have seen the 2x4 dealer installed manifold on a '64 belvedere hardtop and it went very well. Rob.

29. Abomination

Abomination

It's good to be back. ;)

~Jason