Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Got my (reordered) seat covers, and the color is close to the old. Time to start reading up in earnest on the installation process.
    Also starting to prep the remaining seat parts and floor pieces that need to get painted.
    Hope to have some time this weekend to work on the car

Attached Files:

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Continuing to prepare for new seat covers. Lots of rust to clean up and springs to remount or weld. Looking forward to putting the rear covers on next. It looks like they will be easier and am less concerned if there are issues with them. The front seat was pretty tough shape bit has the Impala trim and is coming along fairly well. if the seats go well it will be on to a headliner next.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

first cover on, seems to be good for first try. Doing the rear first for practice,
    the Bottom went faster, adding its pic's to this post, one flash on non

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. Fedman

Fedman

Seat looks good.

Nice Job!

5. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, starting to get the hang of it. Seems you can read and talk all you want about something, but when you're doing it is when you really learn the most.

on to the front seat...

6. its coming along nicely ....

7. Seats look great! You may have already said but is that a Ciadella kit? You are much braver than I was if you plan to do the headliner on your own. I've done several over the last 45 years and hired mine out. Keep the pictures coming!

8. Seats look great Bruce! Thanks for posting all the progress.

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, it will defiantly look better.
    It was from Classic Industries, but the on line selection info all looked the same as Ciadella. Then just to add to the confusion the parts had tags for CARS1INC.
    As far as the Headliner, not sure it should be considered as bravery. I'm trying to do the build with a budget similar to my teens, with leaning how to do things as a top priority. The whole build is a overgrown "shop project". Glad you like the pictures

Thanks Jeff.

10. Seats look great Bruce. Will be pickin your brain in a few mths. when I start the 2 door . Blue

11. randy

randy

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, please let me know if you have questions doing yours.
    Thanks Randy

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

looking good , the rear seat turned out nice , I found that the front seat when doing it was a little bit tougher to do then the rear ,

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Cody, that looked to be the case. With this being my first attempt at seat covering, it seemed to be the way to go.
    The front seat is from a 1960 and it has the Impala chrome trim. The 59 Nomads did not have the trim and I'm still going back and forth on whether to use it or not. leaning 75% towards using it. Looks like the cover will have to be modifed slightly to accommodate the mounting hardware on the lower part of the seat back. The other 3 on each side are not a problem. The bottom 2 go over the cover and the top back is under the cover. Also still trying to decide on how to best do the holes for the seat-belts.
    Looking over you photo album i did not see your front seat. Did you happen to use the chrome trim? what were some of the problems you had?

15. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Gotcha , mine didn't have the bottom trim since it was a brookwood , the seat belt thing was tricky too , I ended up modifying the seat frame , and cut oval slots in it and welded a piece in so the seat belts wouldn't chafe on a sharp. Edge , I'll have to dig threw my pictures to see If I did take a picture I that , I just havnt cut threw the material yet to put the seat belts threw , it was a lot of work but I just didn't want to run the seat belts up and over

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i think you may have posted in the build, but in any case i think i know what you mean. So the belts will not have to go up and over the gap between the back and bottom. sounds like a good plan.

17. Nice work with the seat..it looks like you have been doing it for years instead of a first effort. HRP

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks HRP, like Cody mentioned, the back seat will be a lot easier than the front. The covers were purchased and seem to be well made.
    Still have some modifications to make before doing the front.

19. carlk60

carlk60

Bruce! lookin good! I should have you do my seats when it comes time. ;) Glad to see it progressing. Mine hasnt changed much since I parked it in the shop last fall, I did add the aluminum inside windshield trim though. :D Btw, I know the 59 Nomads didnt have the seat trim, but my vote is to use it. Also, your front seat did have seatbelts ran through it, when I had it. I shoved them through my current seat too, its VERY tight and a pain, but they will fit.

Later, BTW, picked up another 59 wagon parts car, yell if ya need something.
    Carl.

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Carl, glad you like the progress. it is up to 90% that the trim goes on. as far as the seat belts go, i may just go the rough the slot between the back and bottom (like i did on the 61 seat in there now) and make a painted metal trim piece. Stay warm!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

One more down, the toughest still to go.
    I had to redo the burlap with wires and it came out okay, the pictures capture the process of reusing the wires. Cut off one end (the cord was broken) and re-wove them through some new material by folding back and forth., then re-crimped a new cord The old piece had a hole and was a lot nastier than the picture looks, but i suppose the mice liked it back in the day.
    Also found that by making a relief cut in the foam pad along the bend line it allowed the seat cover to go on without over stretching. the electric knife from Goodwill worked out great to make a V-Notch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  22. Looking good!! I started the seat covers on my wife's 59 Safari while I was home on leave, but didn't finish them yet. The foam in the seat needs replaced before I stretch the covers down over them. I have the Ciadella's kit. I'm hoping it turns out as good as yours!

Attached Files:

• seat.jpg
      seat.jpg
      File size:
      145.6 KB
      Views:
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Matt,
    I'm using there front seat foam kit, seems to work okay with some trimming. i still need to mofift the seat back to work with the Impala trim. for some reason the 59 Nomads did not get it. Should give me just enough practice on sewing to know i could do it in the future.
    Hope to hear you are home and working on the Safari soon.

24. I'll be home for good on May 1st!! I've had enough of this place!

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

that is great news, it will be good for you to get back to the states.

26. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Getting close on the front seat. Will be using the Impala trim. Got some help from Mrs. Nomad on re-sewing the top cover. Modified the seat frame to accommodate the seat belts by adding slots for the belts to pass through.
    Hope to get it done fairly soon

Attached Files:

27. Bruce , looks nice but with that expert help you've got on the covers , makes this a pro build .LOL Keep up the good work . It will be warm any day now and time to do a road trip to Texas and work on mine , just sayin .

28. 59 brook

59 brook

seats look great. everytime i have seen a 59 nomad down here it has those hard plastic seat covers like you would have seen on home furniture with the sewn edges

Attached Files:

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Actually no cash changed hands and she wanted to just do it using her fancy new Viking machine.
    The prospect of coaching me through it on my old Montgomery Wards for that little bit seemed like too much. It will be used later and it is an old all matal machine I picked up for 20 bucks at Goodwill.

warm weather will be a relief to all of us.

30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I would think as hot as you get no one would want them. as i recall there were bad in hot humid weather, but they did keep the seats nice.