Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. That's cool. Does it attach with sheet metal screws, machine screws or rivets?

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

It screws on. there were plated (and very rusty) but will replace them with SST. the rivets hold the aluminum cross prices

3. I just moved a roof rack to a rig that had not had a rack before and used "RivNuts" to attach it. They're much more structural and you can seal up the holes so you don't have any bare metal to rust later. You might ask around to see if someone you know has the install tool. Inserts are pretty cheap.

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the tip. i am familiar with rivnuts as we have used them at work.
    were they used on factory installed racks? wondering if they were if mine was a dealer installed or someone put it on way back when.

Here is a look at the cleaned up rack. All of the broken rivets have been replaced. The two cross pieces are proving to have dome very suborn rust spots but overall it looks a lot better.

Attached Files:

5. That rack looks a lot better. The donor for the rack I moved was an '81 Suburban and it had 1/4"x20 RivNuts and machine screws from the factory. If your rack has smaller mount holes you could consider opening the screw holes up to fit a #10 X 24 or 1/4"x 20 when you're ready to pull the supports for plating.

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan Attic,
    Funny, while out at the U-Pull-It, looking for a part for my OT 1998, found and pulled a roof rack from a 1977 Suburban, so have now seen exactly what you are referring to.
    Thought the cross pieces might work (close same diameter but ~4" too short) or the long narrow stainless strips may work out on the floor over some carpet. In any case the price was right and being that cars that old are not real common there, decided it best to get it.
    For all the folks searching for a rack it may be a option. Can you please post a close up picture?

7. (Quote)Can you please post a close up picture?(Quote)

I'll try to get some pics in the next day or two. I had to shorten this rack about 15" front to back and also shorten the stainless top strips one screw hole but it came out pretty good I think.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Ordered original style seat covers from Classic Ind for the Wagon
    They had a good price to start with and offered a Black Friday weekend discount of 25%
    Still going until Midnight tonight
    "Use code BFW13 to save up to 25%*. Offer expires tonight, Dec. 2nd, 2013 at midnight PST."

9. 59 brook

59 brook

i have a similar rack off a 59 ford wagon 100% complete as i just cut the roof off the car leaving the rack completely intact . i would be interested in getting rid of it and maybe my factory 59 chevy rear rebuilt with strange axles, auburn posi and 3;31 gears

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sounds like JimmyGee may be the guy to contact with the Ford rack.
    my original rack looks a lot better and I'm planning to run with it as is for now.
    not ready to start on drive train changes any time soon, thanks for letting me know.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Put the roof rack back on the wagon tonight, yes a re-chrome would be nice, but it is much better and it will do for now.

Attached Files:

12. That looks great! I got the pics of the one I did but haven't been up to the house early enough to get them downloaded and posted. Your wagon looks like a new one, from '59. You've done a great job getting here from where it started!

13. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, no rush on the roof pics, just interested in seeing how you did it. Sounds very resourceful.

Thanks for signing up for the rest of the ride.

Hope to have some progress in the next few weeks. Starting to make up my winter action plans, which will primarily be focused on the inside of the car.

15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

took a very short drive today (~80 feet), but it was still nice to fire it up and see the light of day (on the shortest day)

Attached Files:

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Attached Files:

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Made some progress on the interior, turning out fairly good and as always, learning a lot.
    The sides are nice and straight and the dark blue tops will carry on from the doors.
    Finally decided to do a little filler over the repaired corners, glad is it is very smooth now and may not have been without.

Attached Files:

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good!,Youve come a long way, "Real Fine Fifty Nine";)

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Low Budget
    Not sure a car is ever done but getting the interior redone will be a major step. It seems like this winter will be more than long enough to get it done.

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

looking good , im about at the same point you are with the rear cargo interior pieces

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Cody, and thanks for the tips on the padding over the rear wheel wells.
    i will let you know what i find.

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

A few updates. finally decided to just remake the kick panel retainer, see the part on the right sitting on the pattern, that's all that was left of the lower.
    making the little retaining clips may not have been ideal but they should work fine and the extra hole on the point should not be an issue
    The other shots is the new backing for the gas filler cover. The old one was oil soaked and disintegrating

Attached Files:

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Made up a mounting plate to add a 3rd brake light. Considered placing it on the tailgate or the roof, but it just did not seem right. This way i can easily remove it but it will provide a little extra notice when stopping.

Attached Files:

24. Nice idea and very clean install. What was the donor for the light?

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan Attic
    As I recall it was from a ~13/14 year old Suburban or Blazer.
    I got 3 different lights at a U-Pull yard for 5.00 each, this one worked out best. It has a few scratches but i can swap it out in a few minutes some other time.
    The whole thing was a prototype, done with remaking it later in mind. between driving with the grand-kids in the back seat and seeing a few guys getting run into, it seemed like the thing to do. like most of the custom items I've added, it can be easily undone if return to stock is desired.

26. Those old scratched lenses clean up real well with a little 1000 then 1500 grit wet sanding and a wiped on coat of "Future" clear acrylic floor wax.

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the lens is actually fine, it is the black housing, it is a shiny plastic. Do you think it would work on that too?

28. It's worth a shot. The stuff self levels pretty well and dries to a nice gloss.

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

"Those old scratched lenses clean up real well with a little 1000 then 1500 grit wet sanding and a wiped on coat of "Future" clear acrylic floor wax."

S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. manufactures Future® Floor Wax, but the company renamed it in November 2007. It is now sold as Pledge® Premium Finish with Future® Shine. It works best on vinyl, linoleum and sealed stone or sealed ceramic tile.

Anyone know if this is really the same or should I look for old stock?

30. Dang, too bad you're not closer, you could use a little out of the 20 year old bottle I have. The stuff goes a long way if you're not waxing floors with it. I'd try the new stuff. The worst that could happen is you have to replace the parts that you were planning to replace anyway. Let us know if it works!