Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1959 Car Show, Lions Drags and M/C hill climb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RRuss, Jan 3, 2014.

1. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

After cleaning out the basement I found some old 8mm family films. In 1959 I filmed a Car show, Lions drag racing and some M/C Hill climbs. I had them transfered to a DVD. Warning! my picture taking sucks so be forwarned.

The Car Show was put on by the Henchmen of Lynwood, Calif. Car Club. The Drag racing I'm guessing is mid June as the little guy you will see inside our car is my son who is now 55 years old.

The Hill Climbs took place at the Hwy 39 hills which is at the end of Beach Blvd. and the start of the old Brea Canyon Hwy. Today I think it's call Diamond Bar homes.

I hope you will enjoy this film and PLEASE if you have any knowledge or info about the cars, the people or places please add your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dbH2Uy7D-0&feature=youtu.be

May the new Year bring you Happyness and Good Health

RRuss

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  2. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

sorry wrong web address

3. Pretty cool video. Im no expert on drag racing in 59 since I was born in 59 =) I had to "rewind" a couple of times ... Was that a sports car start on some of the drag racing clips???

4. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Loved the video! However, being born in 68, I'm curious as well as to what was that. A little before the 6 minute mark.

5. RM-Special

RM-Special

Thanks a million for that clip ,I am a custom bike Nut and the first 120 seconds were pure class ,made my holidays even better.
    The triumph at the 29 second mark is owned either by Jack Calori or a fellow named Barnett. The bikes both these fellas owned share so many similarities that its possible Calori sold his bike to Barnett who then added his own twist.Regardless it is one gorgeous machine.(Stretch at Nostalgia on Wheels blog also thinks this may be a possibility)
    Oh and if anyone knows who manufactured the nifty front centre stand on the Lil jewel dragbike ,The first bike in the clip, I'd be interested to know.
    Cheers RM

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Very cool video, loved the 'moon hub caps' on the trailer at the beginning.

7. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

What a great video!!!!! It looked like a orange 39-40 merc and chopped a bunch. Love the way things were back then and thanks again for the video.

Wishing I was on the salt watching some fast cars go by me!!!!!!!

8. David Totten

David Totten

Long Beach used a Le Mans type start on some race nights

9. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Thanks for posting this amazing footage. Killer!
    -Aaron

10. RRuss

RRuss
    from Lowman, Id

11. aafa729

aafa729

Looks like Jack Chrisman in the Sidewinder 1 won that weekend! He had everyone covered a bunch.

The LeMans start deal was unique to Loins. Pretty fun to watch.

Thanks for the great video!

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

THANKS very cool--------Gary

13. Yeah, Jack had 'em covered at LIONS for quite a while in the Sidewinder. He put it on Kenny Lindley in the final on this day in '59. Cool video.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! Just figured out who you were over here Rene... It's funny when you find someone from another board at another! Thanks for the heads up on this one! Chip

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I put on the headphones and period music while I watched the clip. I recognized a lot of the cars in the car show footage.

16. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

So damn cool! Thanks!

17. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Was any of the cars with the scallops and or panel style paint jobs done by Larry watson?

18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I am not positive, but the quick glance of the '28 pickup at the car shoe looks like Jerry Horne's truck. The lemans start was always a big hit, I even participated in a couple back in the day. You were supposed to have your keys in your hand and out of the ignition. All the GMN guys had the edge because of the 2 position ignition switch. If it wasn't on lock, you didn't even need the key. Those were the days.

19. desotot

desotot

Very cool, wish there was more early film to view.Seems so much better to see what was happening than hearing it told as someone remembers it.

20. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

So awesome! I enjoyed every second of it....thanks for your effort in posting it!

21. This was fantastic! So much to live in this video. Thanks for sharing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. deadbeat

deadbeat

That was awesome,,cheers.The car show looks very similar to the one that was pictured in The Rodders Journal a few years back.Im probly wrong but looks very similar with some of the names on the buildings in the background.