Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Cadillac Hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olkarz, Apr 19, 2012.

1. olkarz

olkarz

I purchased these hubcaps and thought that they would simply fit on my '54 Bel Air steelies:(. Are there any new model GM cars with 15" wheels that I can use to mount them or do i HAVE to purchase the Cadillac wheels? Will any Cadillac wheel work??

Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. TJratz

TJratz

Brad Masterson did a how to article on how to make them fit "regular" wheels..dont remember what magazine it was then....He is on here under Masterson Kustoms...shoot him a PM...

3. Squablow

Squablow

The Cadillac wheels will be 5 on 5" pattern anyway so even if you had a set, they won't fit on a '54 Chevy.

Is it a depth issue, or a mounting method issue? Can you attach the caps to a set of trim rings and snap them on that way?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The teeth hook in the lip on the rim and I'm thinking that Cadillac rims from the years that had that style of hubcap attachment had more of a roll on the lip than most other wheels. I used to fight those things every time I changed tires or did a front end alignment on the Cadillacs that had them.

If I was going to run a bullet center in them I would think about finding a set of those old factory wire wheel hubcap locks off of a mid 70's Chevelle sized car (the piece that is held on by three lug nuts) and put a stud in them that the bullets could be screwed on to hold the hub cap on. I thought about doing that with some 51 Pontiac sombreros that I have. You would also need the lug nuts that were used with those lock pieces. A guy would probably want to make a disk or cross bar to hold the hubcap on the rim with a nut and then screw the bullet on the stud after the hubcap is on though so the cross bar in the bullet wasn't having to hold the cap on.

5. olkarz

olkarz

Yeah Squablow..yes the depth of the Bel Air wheel is the problem. A deep dish wheel would probably work, but I'm trying to figure out would the Camaro wheel or 1 of the truck wheels, that are 5x4.75 will work. I've seen threads where people have drilled out the centers of the Bel Air wheels to change the offset, but that is beyond the tools that I have at home.

Mike