Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Cadillac Coupe Question/For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Sep 29, 2011.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

There is 1959 Cadillac Coupe for sale somewhat close to me. He wants $3500 for it and I think that is too much. I am still awaiting a response on what works/what doesn't work, but you can see the rust. I low balled $2,000 for it and he bounced back with $2,900. I am going to meet him in the middle for $2,500. Do you think it is a decent price, I think its worth probably $2,000, depending if it is numbers matching, but is there anywhere I can get patch panels/floorpans? I don't know if the engine rolls over either, awaiting a response. There are a couple softball sized holes in the floorpan according to the seller btw. Let me know your thoughts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I'd buy that for $2500, but I'm an idiot. Not that this plays into your situation, it just should be noted.

3. I agree with sparkydeluxe, id say 2500 would be fine. Its a rather rare car and well, the 59 caddys were VERY prone to being rust buckets. Its pretty impossible, even in dry states, to find them without rust. Even in the dry states they tend to have the rear interior gutters will be rotted out.

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

5. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

It would be worth $2900 if it was on fire. Check for frame rust too.

6. BJR

BJR

That's a money pit if I ever saw one!

7. NateGreco

NateGreco

If you don't want to buy I will!

8. 1959apache

1959apache

anything else other than frame rust? Obviously from previous posts I should be looking at the front and rear windows for rust. Any other advice/pointers?

Here is a picture from the engine compartment

[​IMG]

9. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

How horrible is the chrome? That's what is going to break the bank... I think those cars bring 2 gs as incomplete rolling parts cars.

10. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

Yeah man you could probably part it out for more then that. The bumpers are probably $2900. If you're looking to restore it you're gonna pay a ton of money to get it close to original but if you're gonna just customize what you don't wanna pay out the a** for then it's a steal for $2900. I'm all for getting a deal but $400 dollars isn't that big of a deal breaker for a 59' coupe.

11. Guaranteed, the $2900 is only the tip of the iceberg.

12. Don't listen to this guy^^^^^^

He knows nothing about Cadillacs!!!!

13. 1959apache

1959apache

They are claiming it is complete, but people around here are theives and think they are sitting on gold.

I would just like something nice to drive to shows, but have 2 projects already....

The chrome appears to be okay, just scratched/faded in places... not rusted through though.

14. badshifter

badshifter

From the looks of it you are going to need a second car to replacxe pretty much every panel on it. It's rotted through the rear quarters, the rockers, the front fenders, the hood, the roof, and everywhere in between. That is not surface rust! Better look at it in person before you commit. And report back to us! Good luck.

15. Thieves? Caddys hold their value. Even Junk ones, let alone a complete 59' Tudor hardtop.....

Do some research on these cars, and you will see. That car could be sold for 3g's or more as a parts car.

On the other hand, it would cost you a fortune to restore. That's probley an easy 6 grand worth of chrome to replate. Thats why it's usually the big boys (Collectors) who play with these and restored ones creep up near 100 grand at times. In case you didn't know, a pink 59' Caddy could be the most Iconic auto of all time. If the guy hasn't advertised it I would buy it and try to resell it on flEa-Bay. You could Quad-droople your money overnight. That is if anyone is buying....

16. Just buy it and don't look back.

17. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Generally...there's some good advice on this thread . I would give 2,500.00 for this car because of what it is. It's showing a lot of rust so you can pretty much count on it being a lot worse that it looks once you start cutting into it. 59 and 60 Cadillacs are bad about rusting around the inner wheel wells and inner rockers which are both pretty hard, and time consuming repairs to make. But, if it has a clean title I wouldn't have a problem buying the car....just know it will be a MASSIVE amount of work to get the rust cut out and repaired. On a side note, forget about parting the car...you'll never be able to make any money on it.... I know because I've been around these cars for years.

18. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

There are only a small handful of 2 door hardtops that could be complete rust buckets and still hold their value.

This '59 Caddy is one of them.

I say buy it.

19. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

The reason I ask about the chrome is that chrome work, as stated previously is super expensive anymore.... Getting a bumper replated for $300 is something of yesteryear unless you know somebody in Mexico. Potmetal parts are most prone to pit, and are even more expensive to refinish. So you have to ask yourself - what are your intentions with the car? Do you have 8 g's to get the chrome done? Or do you just want a cool ratty old caddy to drive around? These are expensive cars to work on.

20. Gigantor

Gigantor

No question about it. It's a 59 Cadillac COUPE. Fuck yes I'd pay $2900 for it.

21. Having recently rechromed all the big parts on a 59 Caddy, you are looking at $1200 plus for driver quality chrome for each bumper and the pot metal (headlight rings and tail light pods) will be $1500+. ChromePlaterJosh here on the HAMB did all my pot metal and did a great job. The price was reasonable I thought for all he did.

That said, I think it's a good deal at $2900, so anything below that is even better. But, like has already been mentioned, ton of work and money to fix it, but if you don't go overboard, it will keep it's value pretty good.

22. ha ha! So true!

For $2900...I'd buy it in a heart beat

23. oh, remember this....anything early cadillac is 'stupid' expensive to buy if you have to replace it.

Trust me...I know, I have 2 of them.

To get one...even at that price is worth it. 59 Coupes are rare.

24. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

I would buy the caddy in a heart beat just as she sits. Jump on it!
    It is so hard to come by 59's & 60"s. Just to try to buy some parts will add up to that amount and you get the whole thing. Do you know what color it was?
    I love those big Caddy's. I love driving ours and would leave my 68 Camaro at home.
    The 60 had AC and power windows. Let me know if you get it.

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

26. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Get some Caddy

27. Sauli

Sauli

So..., what became of this?

28. '59 Caddys are like '32 Fords,,they ain't cheap and cost a bunch of cash to make them nice! HRP

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I bought one about 10 years ago for $800. It was set-up for a SBC and came with a newly redone interior kit (not installed). His starting price was about $3500. six months of visiting ( I didn't REALLY WANT the car) I bit when it hit a figure I liked. Drug it from midwest to NC and sold it to a guy who took it to Sweden. win-win-win type thing. if it's solid and you're going to build it that's probably ok. if it's a rust bucket and you're willing to take the time and effort you could part it out and probably make a little. it all depends on what you want to do with it.

30. c6_rob

c6_rob

Im so jealous you found that car!