Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Buick Pitman arm

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1959Buick, Mar 6, 2018.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Hi everyone,
    Does anybody has a picture form a Power Steering Pitman Arm from a 1959 or 1960 Buick?
    Any help is much appreciate
    Thanks Herbert

2. BJR

BJR
    from Minnesota

Napa has a seal kit for the pitman arm, and has the complete idler arm assembly for it. No picture of the pitman arm though.

3. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks for your replay, I need the picture to find a used one. My car has a manual steering box and I would like to change it to Power steering

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To the OP, have you investigated the part interchange between other GM makes of the era that would possibly improve your search results? Another consideration you may want to give some thought to, is replacing the oem steering with an integral power steering box and retain all the original steering linkage you now have (or new oem parts of same if they are worn.

I admit I have not been under a GM car of that era recently, but I seem to recall they are of the 'ram assist' design in which the ram control valve is attached to the pitman arm. Using the later model Saginaw integral power box eliminates all that hoopla and would not only function better, but would cleanup and simplify the linkage.

Admittedly, it could require a bit more work than swapping all oem p/s bits, but is not, in my opinion, a daunting task. The newer box may have a different bolt pattern where it bolts to the frame, requiring care when mounting. The column may or may not be a 'bolt on' at the steering shaft input coupling, but again, not all that difficult.

Should you decide on this approach, there are several Saginaw p/s box ratios available to choose from. For example, a Pontiac Firebird T/A has a faster ratio than the less performance oriented models. Also, other makes besides GM used Saginaw boxes, such as AMC and Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee and others.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Hi Ray , thank for your replay and sorry for the delayed respond We had a dead in our family . I will look into this and may come back to you with more questions
    Herbert

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just happened to be online and saw your reply. Sorry to hear about the death in your family.

Ray

7. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming