Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1959-60 Ford F100 Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEAR, Jun 17, 2008.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

This is what i did this afternoon.
    I drilled new holes 3/4" down on the inner bracket to set it level and bolted in a replacement tray for a modern battery.
    Maybe I can figure out something to put in the unused 5"

Attached Files:

• batt.jpg
      batt.jpg
      File size:
      474.8 KB
      Views:
    • tray.jpg
      tray.jpg
      File size:
      502.5 KB
      Views:
  2. fitty9

fitty9
    from iowa

I have a 59 stepside...im trying to lower this thing without spending a ton..can i just take out leafs er waqt...please help..

3. fitty9

fitty9
    from iowa

Will someone please tell me how to drop this without spending a bunch...thanks...chris

Attached Files:

4. fitty9

fitty9
    from iowa

heres mine...59...how do i get it super loooooow...without a bunch of moooooooola....ty...chris

Attached Files:

5. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Taking leaves out will only get you down so far.

I took some leaves out of the rear of my truck once. It dropped it down nice & level, I liked it better than the rake. The softer spring rate in the rear gave me some wicked wheel hop though. This is how it looked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I've done now is put all the leaves back in the rear springs, flipped the rear above the springs, and de-arched the front springs to drop 3". I really wouldn't want to go any lower (on the springs) in the front. The axle flip dropped the rear 5-6". It's at a nice height but it bottoms out a lot, and I need to notch the frame. But anyway, my point is I had a spring shop do all this for me, for $525. It still drives nice & straight and it rides nice until the rear bottoms out.

Here's how it looks now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can do something similar for cheap. I have photos of the rear axle set up here and here. Send me a message if you need more info. And just a tip for the future--- you'll rarely get the reply you're looking for in a thread in just 7 minutes. It's best just to wait it out, and bump your thread up if it drops off page 1.

6. kustomkat

kustomkat

This is what the mono-leaf and drop front axle will get you with G78-15's. Not cheap, not slammed, still rides good but very easy. I am not aware of a cheap way to drop these. And the only way i can see to slam it, would be clip it.

7. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Love that truck...

8. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Here is how to take care of the rear.Mid 60's Mopar big car (Newport,NewYorker) rear shocks will fit after the axle flip. I'm picking up air assit/adjustable so I can change the rear ride height by a few inches when needed
    http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/F-100-C-Notch-Kit/F-100-C-Notch-Kit.htm

As far as the front goes you can flip the axle over the springs as well but this requires moving the steering box. The easiest thing would be monoleaf springs with reversed eyes (4.5" drop) or a drop axle (2" drop") or a combination of both. If you use both you will need to drop the tie-rod ends to accomodate the slight geometry change.

More info here:
    http://orphanyears.blogspot.com/

9. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I stand corrected on the mid sixties shocks. They dont work:mad:. Anyone car to enlighten us on the proper shock for a lowered truck?

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy

I'm running factory take off shocks from the front of an '04 Chevy Silverado half ton on the rear of my F100 with an axle flip. You'll need to remove the insert in the bottom of the shock used to bolt it to the lower a-arm of the Chevy and then it will slide on your factory mount.

Shameless self promotion: My truck is in the classifieds.

11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I used the original shock mount, bolted onto the springs right behind the axle with its own U-bolt. This way you can use the original shock and its length is still in its normal range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Nice job on this truck.I love the look

Attached Files:

13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe
    from Austin

This is a great resource. Thanks guys.
    Here is mine. Affectionately referred to as the pig.

Attached Files:

14. This is my '59. it has been parked for about 10 years, it is non opted. Never had time or money to put it back on the road. Then I bought the '55 wagon and it is getting most of my car-tention right now. So I may sell this one, I would really like to build it the way I had wanted to, but now, since lay off no money again. we'll see in next month or so, body is pretty good, bed is shot, no floor left. Everytime I come back to this thread I get inspired...

Attached Files:

15. kustomkat

kustomkat

Not mine, but a very good buddy of mine. I basically gave him the direction and helped at getting it there. Makes me want one for myself, though...

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

More pictures later

Attached Files:

17. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Looks like the yellow on my 57. Good piece!

Later,Bill

18. smokin!

19. Glad this thread is still alive-can't get enough! I need the input, just to keep me inspired/motivated.

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

From reading a couple of Ford truck boards I ran across this setup. 2003 and up Crown Vic front end unbolts and is an easy fit on Fseries Fords. Thinking about using it on my '59 Panel. Only drawback is you have to run 16" wheels because of the 12" discs. Supposed to lower the truck about 5 1/2 inches.

Anyone know someone who has done this swap?

Picture and story of my panel here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393074

Link to the Ford Truck Entusiast article...
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  21. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Here are some shots of my 59 F100. I have a Fatman Mustang II and a rear flip kit with a c-notch. I am running a 312 Y-Block with a C4. There are a lot of nice trucks and ideas in this thread. Keep them coming!!!

Attached Files:

22. thishero

thishero

Nice 59! Very clean, hopefully my '57 will be that clean some day.

23. That is a F'ing great looking truck, man!
    What steel wheel with a 5.5" bolt pattern accepts those caps?

[​IMG]

24. Should fit the stock Ford wheels.

25. i'll be d#mmed. I just assumed that the passenger car poverty caps wouldn't fit a 5.5" lug pattern wheel. Looks good.

26. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

The wheels are Wheel Vintiques 15X6 front, 15X8 rear. They are 4 1/2 bolt pattern and do accept the 56 Ford passenger car bottle caps and any other cap that size. With the Mustang II I went with the 4 1/2 pattern and had a machine shop convert the rear axles to the same.

Thanks for the comments.

27. That's the perfect stance for these trucks IMO.

28. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Here's my rebuilt battery tray. Ground the spot welds off the old rusty tray. Saved the L brackets and wire wheeled them clean. Built a 13x7-1/2 tray with 1 inch lip out of 1/8 steel. Re-welded the L brackets to the tray and got new hold down hardware. Should out last me. Removed and resprayed the front bumper and started to rub out the paint

Attached Files:

29. 59f100fan

59f100fan
    from hawaii

here are a few pics....i am currently putting it all back together after repairing as much rust as I can ......now I just gotta work on the griile and straighten bumper....parts are cheap but the shipping to hawaii is a killer so I am just repairing what I have....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Looks good! Love the disc brakes setup.