Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959-1960 GM top chop pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jounik, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

Hi!
    I´m looking for pictures of a 1959-1960 GM 2dht chop. The windshield area is pretty straight forward but how you handle the rear widow and the b-pillars...
    I know there are several cars that have been chopped, but I have only seen a few project pictures, can anyone help me?
    Thanks!

J

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. How about posting up a Photo of the actual Car your wanting to chop? If you can say the windshield is strait forward I'm guessing it's not an Impala or any of the Bubble top body's.
    The Wizzard

3. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

It´s -60 Caddy Coupe Deville. I live in Finland, so getting a custom windshield is no problem. Of course I can have custom rear glass made also, but still I don´t know how to modify the b-posts. But if I can use the original rear glass, thats better..

J

4. Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Looks like they re shaped the quarter window and slid the top of rear glass forward on the roof. Tilting the rear glass would require modifying the lower body panel.

6. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

This one looks good:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems like the lower part of the rear window frame was removed, is the window lowered? Looks like there is no package tray.

7. J; Have you done much Custom body work? It's a large learning curve for sure. The car above looks to be headed for some issues to me. Photos can hide what's going on. By the looks to me I believe the rear glass needs to be move to the rear meaning a band added to lengthen the over all roof panel to get things where they belong. If that's the case and it were me I would probably do it right where door glass and quarter window come together on the Drip Rail. You don't want to get into building new Quarter glass window frames, Just shorten vertical leg and re arch top frame to match drip rail.
    The Wizzard

8. 'Mo

'Mo

This one's nice. I would hazard a guess the stock window has been sunken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would also appear by the angle that the rear corners of the windshield were trimmed, and then laid back...something you want to consider.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  9. anthony myrick

anthony myrick
    from al

would love to see some pictures on how the windshield area was modified
    I have always wondered if you set the glass then modified the top to fit on these era cars for chops

10. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

I´ve chopped two cars, so I know what it takes. To me it looks like the gray car has a original length or shorter roof, as the roof on orange car looks longer.
    Now You know why I could use some project pics / info on the subject :D
    Thanks!
    J

11. anthony myrick

anthony myrick
    from al

12. anthony myrick

anthony myrick
    from al

13. 'Mo

'Mo

On the grey car, a filler piece can be seen added between the trunk and the rear window (sometimes called the "cat walk").
    The orange car may have added this amount to the roof, instead.

14. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

This one is nice:
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know whos the builder?

J

15. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Please clarify how you do that.

16. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

I make a mold (fiberglass, steel etc) using the old windshield. I fit the mold inside the opening and then send it to the glass factory. I have done this 3 times: windshield and rear glass for my ex-Dodge Kingsway and the windshield for my ex-Buick Riviera. Check my blog, there is more..

J