Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures 1958 NHRA Nationals... Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

1958 NHRA Nationals... Oklahoma City

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. @Jive-Bomber Jay -

Thanks for sharing this video in your TJJ Blog today!

I actually added it to my The 1958 NHRA Nationals thread last year ... However, it never really got the views it deserved embedded deep within this multi-page thread ... so thanks for bringing it to the forefront!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Jive-Bomber likes this.
  3. NOTE: Although several of the YouTube uploads of the "Ingenuity In Action" film are identified as being from the '58 Nats, that film was actually about the '59 Nats (held in Detroit).

egads likes this.
  4. @Roothawg 's dad was probably in attendance and racing something.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I married in June 58 and we went up from Shreveport as spectators for the event. They also had an indoor car show somewhere on the grounds that we also attended. Drove my green 53 ford custom convertible. I have only one old photo of us in that car and cannot find it.
    Jimmie

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

7. Admission to the "Car Show & Juke Box Dance" was 75¢ ...

Schedule.jpg Map.jpg

@ol-nobull - If you ever find that pic, be sure to share it in my The 1958 NHRA Nationals thread.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have a program from that race if I can ever get it dug out.

9. NOTE: The entire event program is also available HERE.

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I am now 79 and a couple of years ago I gave my son a huge box of old family photo's dating back to just after the Civil War as I did not want them to disappear when I die. I will give him a call to get him to look thru them to see if the one of the 53 is there. Likely is there. If I find it I will do a scan and post it here.
    I know one day we were running low on funds and instead of paying admission we pulled the convertible under a big shade tree just a bit past the bleachers just outside track fence and watched races from there. Think from memory that was on north side of track.
    I have posted before that I have a friend nearby in Victoria that I did not know then that both he and his brother competed that year. Don & Jim Govro. At that time there were from Austin.
    I have a re pop decal for the event that I have been intending to give to Don. Think I will follow your link and print out that program and give both to him. Don has been in poor health but is recovering and getting better.
    For the benefit of others that may not know Nostalgicracingdecals.com has re pop decals of a lot of this vintage racing events.
    Jimmie

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I am now 79 and a couple of years ago I gave my son a huge box of old family photo's dating back to just after the Civil War as I did not want them to disappear when I die. I will give him a call to get him to look thru them to see if the one of the 53 is there. Likely is there. If I find it I will do a scan and post it here.
    I know one day we were running low on funds and instead of paying admission we pulled the convertible under a big shade tree just a bit past the bleachers just outside track fence and watched races from there. Think from memory that was on north side of track.
    I have posted before that I have a friend nearby in Victoria that I did not know then that both he and his brother competed that year. Don & Jim Govro. At that time there were from Austin.

HEMI32 likes this.