Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Ford Ranch Wagon "Class Project"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olivepick, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

That is the most awesome class project!!! Unfortunately I will miss Billetproof due to an unplanned trip to Afghanistan.. Thank You Uncle Sam

2. Awesome work and an inspiration. I am quite partial to 58 Ford's too!
    Great to see youth embracing the opportunity. I look forward to further progress.
    Cheers,
    Cruisin'

3. olivepick

olivepick
    from Seattle

Yeah, I bought it off CL in August '08. It was in a field in Yelm with a bunch of other 50's and 60's cars - this one was arguably the worst of the bunch :).

Is that your van in your avatar? I've admired it at a couple different shows. I love the flake on it. Maybe you can hook me up with someone who can shoot some flake on my other project station wagon in my avatar pic.

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Cool,still remember my first engine swap. Great times!

5. olivepick

olivepick
    from Seattle

Today it was just me and two of the students. We don't have much time left until the class runs out (and we're officially working overtime, as the class was originally booked for 18 sessions) so we're working on our checklist of things we have to get done before Billetproof.

One of the things we're working on is our sign for the car show. I want to get the layout done this week, so we needed to get a decent "after" shot of the car. That was a good excuse to get the hood put back on drive it out into the sun for a photo. I won't do the official "before" and "after" shot yet, as there's still a chance we'll get primer on it, but I'm pretty happy with this shot.

[​IMG]

We also worked on getting the last door panel back on, bleeding the brakes some more and working on the design for some lettering we're going to put on the window to promote the class.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

6. airbosss

airbosss
    from Yuma, AZ

I was looking for an old Ford wagon when I found this class project- been following the progress. That thing is starting to look good.

7. sololobo

sololobo

This is so cool. My hats off to all adults involved in bring these young men into the automotive world. Very inpressive mentoring. ?Really a cool wagon. ~Sololobo~

8. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Love this thread!:cool:

The kids in your class look like a good team & they've done you proud!

I just started on 57 wagon myself, so hope don't mind if I plunder a few ideas?:D

Keep up the good work!

9. Very Kool, those kids will always remember this!

Good work Dude.

10. olivepick

olivepick
    from Seattle

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. I can tell by the kids' reaction that this has been a big deal for them. It makes all the stress, hard work, time, and money worth it.

11. olivepick

olivepick
    from Seattle

This last weekend was our final official class session. We took apart the turn signal switch to get the brake lights working (finally), did some final grinding to get it to 99% bare metal and took care of some other details to get it ready for the car show. Then we took it for a cruise...

We're still working on some signs for the windows to advertise the class and we've got to get our car show sign mounted.
    [​IMG]

We're going to show it off at the church picnic in two weeks, then at the school the week after and at Billetproof WA on June 26th.

The original plan was to sell the car, and I think I'll make some attempt to do that over the summer, but I've already got a long list of things we can do to it next year if it doesn't sell - so I don't know if I'll try too hard to unload it. [​IMG] Plus, I've kinda become attached to it now.

Those of you in the Northwest - look for the article about this class in this month's Cruzin' magazine.

12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Great work guys!

13. atch

atch

any updates?

14. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Looks like a fun project.

15. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

This really is cool and great for the kids. Hell Im 35 and wouldnt mind taking ylur class. ahhaha Not to mention what a great looking car....those kids will remember this for the rest of their lives.

16. olivepick

olivepick
    from Seattle

We made it to Billetproof!

[​IMG]

The boys were good sports about spending 5+ hours at a car show and enjoyed showing off the car and talking about the project with all the people who came by.

It felt so good to be at the show after all the work that went into the car over the last year. Now I can actually relax and start preparing for next year's class - which starts in 11 weeks!

[​IMG]

17. Choptop

Choptop

Thanks so much for bringing to wagon out to the show. It was nice to see you, the class and the wagon at the show.

18. Tex-T

Tex-T

What a great project. Those kids will remember that all their lives.
    A lot better than video games.
    Good work!
    Tex-T