Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Ford P-350

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by DaytonaTony, Jun 16, 2018.

1. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

It's a Mr. Softee Ice Cream truck with a 223 & automatic transmission; those components are easily identifiable and I can find parts, that goes for the brakes too.
    What I CANNOT find are headlight rings, tail lights, front turn signal light fixtures - not the lens or bulbs but the whole dang thing.
    also, I can't find gauges. The ones listed on all the online catalogues list like Vintage ford, Dennis Carpenter etc are not the same as the ones in the P-350
    and I'm already "keeping and eye on eBay" but maybe there is a vintage bread-truck place out there? or some dude who is really into these particular weirdo trucks. or maybe the hamb community can steer me in the right direction.

I've asked a lot of people that are in the "business" of Ford about parts that should fit my particular truck, but nobody seems to know.

I'm coming to you guys!
    Is there a particular year of Ford truck that might have some compatible parts and pieces?

ALSO! can anyone tell me why 1958 is left out of a lot of online catalogues? A lot of this parts list stop at 57 and start back up at 1960. What was happening with the trucks in 1958?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. how about a photo or two? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see it.

DaytonaTony and Hnstray like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

5. I googled it. Did Ford not change grills in the P series to match the standard Trucks? All I find have the 55 Truck grills in them. Ford did make a P series with the 1953 Grill in it. I happen to know that the P series 1955 Grill does not fit the F-100 series Trucks.
    The Wizzard

6. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

DaytonaTony likes this.
  7. Ford kept using that same '55 style grille up to '62 or so, I think. Saved on re-tooling costs I guess...

8. 5window

5window

I think a lot of Mr Softee trucks were built on a basic chassis but were made by specialty body companies. I know a lot were built here in PA and you might check with this museum : boyertownmuseum.org located in Boyertown, PA in the original Boyertown Auto Body Works, Great museum,too.

9. squirrel

squirrel

that's the thing about step vans, there were some bodies built by the truck manufacturer, but it seems most of them were built by small companies on chassis provided by the big 3.

Pictures.

DaytonaTony likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Mr. Softee was started in 1956 and moved to Runnemede,NJ in '58 which is still their headquarters. Their website ays they modify trucks there and,while the '58 trucks are likely long gone, maybe their archives could help you figure out te original parts sources. Your truck must have been one of the first ones. Curious how it got that far west.

Snakemoore likes this.
  11. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

The Mr. Softee company is super pissy about people having these trucks. They take legal action about the name etc. They are as unhelpful as possible and with reason; An east coast competitor called Master Softee, has bought a few of these trucks and painted them to look just like a Mister Softee.... Crazy world of Ice Cream!

Snakemoore likes this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

What do you think of this one?! I Know it's not a Ford, but it's a GM version! upload_2018-6-16_15-10-25.png n.

13. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

thats a beauty!

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a 53 COE, the grille is 10" wider than an F100, the headlight buckets and rings are the same. Mine were rusty, I had some complete assemblies out of a 70's era Grumman bread truck, they fit just fine. Good luck, that is a cool find ! IMG_0604.JPG

Okie Pete, Lepus, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Yeah, I knew about Master Softee. As a kid, we thought the song was annoying and, of course, as soon as we hit puberty, Mr. Softee was hilarious. Still is, for that matter.

DaytonaTony likes this.
  16. brjnelson

brjnelson

17. brjnelson

brjnelson

Daytona, your headlight rings are plain old 53-54 ford F100
    The taillights are from the company that built the body, I am sure they are standard truck lights from "Arrow" , "Grote" or some other manufacturer, take a close look and you should see a name or number on the bezel.
    They are just truck parts and should not be that hard to find, even Mill has some stuff
    https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-parts/
    Boyertown made the body on my truck, in 1959 the made 800 of them and they all went into Mister Softee's warehouse, when you signed up for a franchise you got a truck that was built in 1959, even if you joined up in 1966, you got one of the trucks made in 1959. I do not know who made your trucks body, but from the seam above ti windshield and down to the bumper is Ford P350
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    DaytonaTony likes this.
  18. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG]
    This is how your truck looked when it left Ford and was delivered to the body builder.

DaytonaTony and catdad49 like this.
  19. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

thanks for the information and holy hell! what a beautiful truck.

20. brjnelson

brjnelson

21. brjnelson

brjnelson

I like it, and I m a ford guy

22. catdad49

catdad49

Nice Popcorn Truck!

23. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

what did you do in the back with the generator? replace? restore?

24. brjnelson

brjnelson

I removed everything out of the back mechanical room and replaced with a new Honda EU generator, electric water heater and an RV water pump. I could take a photo of it tonight, when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Flop

Flop

[​IMG]

Here’s a mr softee scooter I put back together ! 3 wheel lambretta .

26. DaytonaTony

DaytonaTony

yes!
    i'd love to see a photo.

27. brjnelson

brjnelson

Here’s kind of a close-up it’s shitty outside right now.
    Honda EU generator 50 amp shore cord with RV plug, the breaker box original

28. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Airbag compressor and RV water pump are underneath the generator, I remove the original gravity water tank and put RV tank underneath

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Okie Pete and Flop like this.