Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Edsel Power Steering Pump Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

So after getting my transmission put back together, I took the car for a spin and the power steering was making a ton of noise, but it was working and leaking pretty bad. So I had my son turn the wheel for me and found out that the leak was from the lid. The cork gasket was pretty bad so made a new one and fixed the leak but the pump was still makeing a lot of noise. The car was parked for years and I have ran it for maybe 1 hour over the past 6 months.

I have a list of questions for you Edsel/Ford guys:
    1) Are these easy to rebuild at home? Never tried...just thought I would ask
    2) Does anyone know of a replacement from another year or model that go on pretty easy. If the stock one is hard to find I am considering a more common pump for obvious reasons.
    3) Is there any tricks to these or advice for these power steering units that I need to know?

Any other advice or input is welcomed and thanks in advance for your help.

2. Sounds like you got air in the system, when the engine is idling just turn the steering wheel slowly to the right and left. You must turn it to the stop at right and left, a couple of times. If you’re lucky this will fix it.

3. squirrel

squirrel

You also need to let it sit for a while after doing the bleeding then, then try it again.

If it keeps getting foamy, then there could be a leak or wear in the pump letting it suck air or something.

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks guys.

Are these pumps something that someone can rebuild at home without special tools? Is the rebuild just new seals and bearings...etc?

Found a rebuilt pump for $150 online. Seems expensive for a power steering pump. Thinking of finding a pump that is an off the shelf item with the same pressure 950-1,100 psi and making brackets. Not sure yet...still thinking about all of my options.

5. The best way for you is probably to buy a rebuilt one, but you still have to the bleeding procedure. Otherwise you probably have the same problem again.

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

[QUOTE
    The best way for you is probably to buy a rebuilt one, but you still have to the bleeding procedure. Otherwise you probably have the same problem again.
    ][/QUOTE]
    Got it. I am going to try bleeding the system first and hope that is all that is wrong. I am just thinking worst case scenario while the thread is going so I cna get some feedback.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If it was sitting over a long time, I'd see if water had made it's way into the pump....Had that nasty experience,...LOTS of foam ! 3 flushes later........Should have checked it before installing...

4TTRUK

8. mlagusis

mlagusis

okay...so yesterday when I discovered the noise I did turn the wheel to the left and then to the right and it still was making noise. I go over today after work, top it off with fluid, fire up the car and it is quiet as can be. Problem solved.