Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 chevy id nomber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FETT, Feb 4, 2012.

1. FETT

FETT

i picked up a 1958 chevy bellair the other day cant find the id nomber other then in side the drivers door is it any were else? thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

The VIN should be on a tag that's spot welded to the driver door hinge pillar. The VIN should also be stamped on top of the frame, under the driver seat, it's pretty hard to see it unless the floor is rotted away.

3. FETT

FETT

4. What squirell said on the vin ... you also have a cowl tag (on the cowl)... prolly none of the numbers on that will necesarily match the vin. Dont let that confuse you.

5. FETT

FETT

the tag in the door has nothing on it so i probly cant register it

6. henry29

henry29

There's another one behind it, maybe you can look at it to see where its supposed to be.

Do you have a pic of the tag your talking about?

7. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

If the VIN tag is thin and long horizontal it is an U.S. car. If the VIN tag is big (1.5 x 3) and sits vertically, it's probably Canadian, although don't take that as the gospel. But, if there isn't a VIN marking on the door or it looks tampered with. I would be careful. As said previously, you will have to lift the frame to get the number stamped on the frame.

8. FETT

FETT

i feal stupid it had a thin coat of paint on it looked like nothing was on it
    thanks

9. most states its against the law to paint over a vin plate ... sign of a rookie paint job also .. check the numbers against the "x-frame chevy" site (google it) ... should tell you the particulars of the car

10. FETT

FETT

thanks sam just did

11. FETT

FETT

got my tag for it today last time it was registered was 1968
    time to ride!!!