Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Cadillac steering wheel removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, Nov 13, 2010.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I found a 1958 caddy that has a real nice steering wheel in a salvage yard today, i couldnt get the horn ring off after a few times at trying to pull it off. after messing with it for a short bit i gave up not wanting to damage it in the process. i decided i would come here and find out from the experts. i do have a steering wheel puller just couldnt get the ring off to get to the nut that holds the wheel on the column.

2. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know either but I'd like to know. It seems like there's no way to get the horn ring off. It doesn't screw on from the back, and I can't get the center piece off separately. You'd also think it might push in and turn like a 50's Ford horn ring but I couldn't get that to work either. Here's hoping someone out there knows how to do it.

3. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i tried pushing the ring forward and turning it to the side too, no luck.

4. if i remember right there is a small allen set screw under the wheel, i have one off i can double check it tomorrow if nobody confirms that.

5. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

ok, i didnt see any thing like that.

6. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

If it is similar to a '57, there are actually two very small allen set screws behind the collar of the horn ring. You have to push the horn ring down to one side and the set screw is hidden behind the collar but you will be able to see it if you peek in the gap between the horn ring collar and the steering wheel. Do the same thing on the opposite side and you will see the other set screw. Unscrew each of them a bit and the horn ring assembly slides off the wheel and then yoy can get to the nut to pull the wheel. This is how the '57 Caddy's work so hoping for your sake its the same for the '58's.

7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

ok i'll look in there again, i'll bring a flash lite next time i go back.

8. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Actually upon further inspection, if you look on the back side of the steering wheel "arms"(I don't what to call these pieces, but its the pieces the actual ring of the steering wheel meets.....the two arms that go from the ring of the steering wheel to the column). On the back side of each of these there is about a 1/8" slit or channel that your allen wrench will fit it. Inside these channels you will find the allen screws(one on each side of the wheel/ Loosen them and the the horn ring comes off and then you can get to the wheel itself to remove it.

9. allkiller

allkiller
    from London

20160505_140455.jpg 20160505_140610.jpg 20160505_140537.jpg 20160505_140550.jpg

Look under the steering wheel at the rim arms, near the column the gap between the horn arms and the steering body there are two slits, one is bigger than the other the set screw is right there near the column...look at my pictures
    with a 3/32 " Allen key undo the set screws about 5 turns and the horn ring will lift right off...there is nothing to drop out unless the spring is broken and that will then...but nothing to worry about.
    easy

belair likes this.