Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958, 1959 El Camino / Impala horn ring install ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamcoupe, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Im putting a 59 El Camino steering wheel in my 51 Chevy and now I can't figure out how to install the horn ring pieces.

I got the horn contact, plastic screw insulators, a round metal plate, a clear plastic spacer, and the horn ring. Am I missing a spring, and what order to they go? Anyone got any picso of a 59 or 60 El camino or Impala steering wheel with the horn ring removed.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Squablow

Squablow

The Impala and the El Camino had very different steering wheels. Post a picture of the one you have, I can probably help.

3. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

It is this type.
    [​IMG]

4. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

5. Squablow

Squablow

First off, there is a metal plate with a prong sticking out which should be screwed to the back side of the steering wheel. This controls the turn signal cam.

With the plate in place, the steering wheel should slip on over the splines. There is a non-threaded hole in the steering wheel where the horn contact slides into. The horn contact is plastic, maybe an inch long, and has a brass contact connected to a spring in it. The horn contact slides in next.

Then there is a thin metal plate that goes on, covering the horn contact and aligning with the 3 screw holes on the wheel. Once the plate is on, then there is a plastic plate that goes on top of the metal plate. With these in place, you next have to bolt the steering wheel down with a washer and a nut on the center shaft.

Once you have that bolted on, the horn ring goes on next, held in place with three screws that go through a plastic, horseshoe-shaped retainer. And then the center cap get screwed onto the horn ring from the back side of the wheel.

I just pulled one of these steering wheels off and that's the way it was arranged. I can't guarantee that it's 100% correct since the wheel may have been replaced in the vehicle it came out of, but that's how it was set up when I took it out.

Hope this helps.

6. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Hi,
    I am down in Kenosha, I have a brother that lives near you off of State Park Road.
    I am going through a similar problem with a 1946 Ford Kustom with a 1994 Blazer column and a 1959 Impala steering wheel.
    The previous owner had a push button on the dash to blow the horn. I do not like that.
    I am though having trouble understanding the Kit I bought for the repair. The parts just will not work.

Attached Files: