Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Seagrave Firetruck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP&C, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MP&C

MP&C

This doesn't really qualify as a for sale, but a buddy of mine needs to clean up his yard to get ready for a storage shed coming in. He needs this gone. CornCobCoupe, let me know if this needs to be moved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details I have been given, in no certain order (excuse the rambling):

The local fire dept in Leonardtown retired this truck many years ago, it has been sitting ever since. It is a 1957. The truck was retired as they did have some engine issues with the V12, they were getting water in the block. The heads were removed and magnafluxed, no cracks or other issues found there. He thinks there may be a crack or leak in the block somewhere. He did say a piston/rings had been replaced at some point and he recalled a sleeve coming out with them during removal, so apparently these are a sleeved block. They never did find where the water was coming from, but never went as far as pulling the engine to investigate further. He couldn't recall the engine size, but he did say it was the long stroke engine.

Has 2 zenith downdraft carbs, Lipps roll away clutch, and Fuller 5 speed trans. He did say at time engine problem appeared, that trans and clutch were fully operational with no issues. The truck was kept in a heated firehouse all its life where I wouldn't think a block would have cracked from freezing to cause the water issue.

It does have some rust thru on passenger side behind door under quarter window, you can see it in the one right hand shot. On the front fenders, even as thick as they are, I did note the drv side has a couple holes in the bottom of the fender where the wired edge has been collecting water. Quite a bit of surface rust. It's a shame it didn't go in a barn or something when it was retired, that rust wouldn't be there.

Located in Souothern MD.

Any interest in some yard art or an extensive project?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Thats the 906 CID engine. In reality it's scrap as the cost of fixing it up would be 10X it's worth. Thats the sad part about old fire trucks once they get to that state. Save the caps,rotors,dists and coils as they are worth $$$ on ebay.Siren ,warning lights etc also have value.

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Remember when this website was for traditional hotrods?

4. badshifter

badshifter

Yes, and there were things like this on it back then as well. This old girl was working the streets when traditional stuff was contemporary. Does not bother me a bit to see this posted. Better than a request to photoshop it onto a bagged S-10 frame.

5. MP&C

MP&C

Here's a picture of it back in it's glory days.

[​IMG]

The owner did say if there was no interest in the truck intact, he would be willing to pull parts off if anyone needed something to help get/keep another one going...

6. cakes

cakes

if the siren works Ill take it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.