Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 More Door Chevrolet Bel Air fair price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Apr 6, 2013.

1. bab59

bab59

Have the chance to buy a fairly solid 1957 be lair 4 door clean car clean floor pans power pack 4 bbl
    Been sitting outdoors for several years
    Motor is stuck but the car is complete.
    Needs interior as something been chewing around
    Any price guides here?
    Left side rocker rust and bad rear front wheel well rust through
    A number 5 car in old car report is $2700 is that realistic?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. DrJ

DrJ

Parts car.... worth whatever you can unbolt and use or sell. $300. is all I'd give for it. Maybe $350 tops.

3. Is it a hardtop? I would think it's worth a couple grand.

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Some pic's would help. Up here any car in the condition you state is a great candidate for a project. Nothing wrong with a moredoor car. The dollar amount sounds reasonable too.

5. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

no it's a fordor convertible.

6. Thanks so much for your sarcasm, just trying to help the guy. FYI, most '57 four doors were sedans with a post, the hardtops are fairly rare and desirable.

7. bab59

bab59

It is just a sedan
    Can't upload pics without adding a URL
    GOOD FENDERS GOOD TRIM
    WOULD.
    Would $2000 be upside down in it?
    Only rust is rocker and front of rear fender wells

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. DrJ

DrJ

Rust in those areas might be just old age or it might have been in a flood.
    Check the kick panel areas and inside the doors for mud.
    Otherwise, it might actually be just worth fenders, hood, bumpers? and trim,
    Instruments good or just do-so?

9. henry29

henry29

No pics?

I've sold 57 four doors with out motor/trans, needing restored for more than that.

10. Honestly,without photos it's just a guessing game on our end,,if you can't post a photo it's up to you with what you are willing to pay.

BTW,,everybody doesn't hate 4 doors, HRP

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

In recent years I have become rather fond of some of the popular four doors...including the tri fives...
    Lowered and done right they are really cool cars, and deserve a place with the others..
    If you can swing the price, and YOU like it...go for it...
    Good luck, and let us know what you do !
    Cheers..

12. bab59

bab59

pictures added
    What does a guy do??

13. bab59

bab59

What kind of money?

14. F&J

F&J

The car market seems very different across the country. In Kansas, are old cars priced low or high? 2K seems a bit high with rocker rust, stuck motor, trashed inside and toooo many doors :)

I can't see why so many people jump at a 4 dr sedan, when if they really tried, and maybe drove further than 20 miles, could get something they really want. JMO

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

After looking at the pix...$2700 is waaa-aaay too high ...It's certainly needing a lot...I can see 5-6 grand just to make it a driver (engine, exhaust, redo radiator, interior, carpet, brakes, tires)...I'd offer no more than $1000-1200 for it. UNLESS you can do all that work yourself...!!!

R-

16. I think you have the 210 model, the most produced of all '57 Chevys. That car looks to be pretty complete and the body looks pretty straight.

How bad do you want a '57 Chevy? No authority here but a couple grand would seem a decent price.

17. You have to start somewhere,,1,500 to 1,800 would me my max. HRP

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where do you people live where that car is worth $1200.00? if you trailered that to a big swap meet in California with $1200.00 in big letters on it you would not even get in the gate, you would be turning around to deliver it to the guy that just bought it.

I'd be willing to bet that is original paint. which menas it has the original dents and damage. no suprises.

what are they asking? $2700.00 would be a fair price where I live. if I had it I surekly would not sell it for less even if I got it for free

19. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Bought a pair of these a year ago. A 210 4 door wagon that has original paint and less rust than you are talking about and a Belair 4dr sedan rougher than the one shown. No drivetrains in either. $1000 for the pair. I wouldnt give $2000 for that car but that is just me. Depends on how bad you want one.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

For a car over fifty years old it looks in pretty good shape, I'd offer no more then $1400. to $1700.. Make an offer of $1000. see what happens, you can always walk away, if the guy wants too much. :D

CRUISER :cool:

21. bab59

bab59

This will be A resale deal only as I have other projects to finish and diapers to buy. Anyone have any idea what parts prices are?
    Front clip
    Trunk etc.

22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

kansas has many solid two door bodies for way less money---do some looking...

23. n847

n847

I don't think you're gonna make a ton of money flipping it. I'd say if you could get it for under 2k you could build a cool cruiser for under 5k. But to flip it you've just heard the market price 1-2k. Please don't pay 2500+ for it and be that guy who has to get 4 thousand out of it cause he paid too much for it.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's the difference between California and the rest of the country - especially the Midwest...even in ColoRODo that car is not worth $2700...and paying that much would be akin to highway robbery...$1200 is tops...

R-

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

You'd get that dragging it across the scale at the scrap yard.

There are two pricing thoughts, if you want it for a personal driver I would say up here in the rust belt $2500 would be a decent price if you think you could get it running.

As a parts car, too much. After dragging it out and home and tearing parts off you'd have a lot of time invested in to turn a decent profit.

JMO

26. jhaas63

jhaas63

Gotta agree with Bob on this one. If it could run, its worth $2700. In its current state, probably a grand.

27. DrJ

DrJ

That's what I was thinking... ;)

28. Wait for a 2dr, I say. Same amount of work, usually. With a happier ending. It'll never grow up to be a 2dr, if you do buy it.

29. ninosdad

ninosdad

That car will cost as much to re-do as a two door that will have some value when done. From the pics it most likely has rust in the floors and trunk can's see much.

Buy the best raw material you can afford. The work and money you will put into that car will be the same as if it were done on two door or more door hard top.

Whatever you pay, if you decide to buy it, that is just a place to start spending money. You can probably buy a finished car for less than what you will spend and be driving now...good luck

Your call,

30. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

worth 1500. as a parts car,2-2500 would not be bad.
    some talk about 2-door,if it was would be about 6500.
    looks like a decent original paint car