Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 merc turnpike

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edselfish, Dec 29, 2008.

1. edselfish

edselfish

hello all,just wanted to tell anyone and everyone that i got my turnpike registered today.went through the inspection process without a hitch and now just have to stamp an engine number on it before i get my plates.im just absolutely over the moon and cant wait to start using it.

Attached Files:

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cool,,,thats a car you dont see too often...gotta be rare ?

3. Boodlum

Boodlum

Does the rear window work?

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That car rocks. Always loved those.

5. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

such a sweet car always liked the big cars:)

6. kool car,I grew up with my mom drivin a 58 merc convert,black w/black&white leahter...wish I had it now....whats with the stamping the motor number

7. Flatman

Flatman

Very sweet! My dad had a '58 Park Lane years ago, his favourite car:D.
    You just don't see that many around anymore.

Flatman

8. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Hey Edselfish,congrats on getting your TC on the road.Would you have any idea what plant it was built in?My dad worked for Ford in 57,at the Metuchen,NJ plant.They built the TC there too.

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

that car is crazy.i love it .drop it and cruise it.That continental kit is awesome.The whole thing is out of control,nice score,especially in australia.I know i lived there for 30 years and decided to move to the states for the cars,soooo glad i did.

10. Gasser57

Gasser57

Beautiful Merc! Very classy sled. I used to have a 57 Commuter. Made a Mercury fan out of me.

11. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The first car I ever drove, a '57 Turnpike Cruiser convert!!! Sweet as could be, as I was only 14 years old and the car was brand new! My friend Kenny bought it when he got out of the Navy and handed me the keys when we were coming back from Canandaigua Lake after a day of swimming and general goofing off. I'll never forget that day. As I said, "Sweet!"

12. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Nice car indeed!!! I have always liked them Turnpike Cruisers.

13. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. weathrmn

weathrmn

Beautiful car, how fast will it go., ha, be careful with it.

15. Movinman

Movinman

I love those Turnpike Cruisers. Over the top, but that is what is so cool about them.

16. edselfish

edselfish

yes it does but only about half way before it starts getting slow.a bit of lubrication should do the trick but i'll have a look when i can.

17. vinehillbilly

vinehillbilly

NICE!!!!How long is that thing?

18. edselfish

edselfish

yes it does but gets a little slow about half way.hopefully a bit of a lube job will get that right but i'll look at it when i can.

19. edselfish

edselfish

in australia we have to have an engine number stamped on our blocks for another identification guideline for registration purposes.we generally work on an engine number and not a vin number for older cars on our registration papers.ford etc not being big on engine numbers until the early 60's ?? i think, means we just have to stamp one on for legal reasons.

20. edselfish

edselfish

about 8000 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!. its just ridiculous but thats the great thing about them.i'm like 160 and 20 pounds so i look like a hood ornament driving it.very cool.

and a big thanks to all the replys.just wanted to share my happy moment in the sun.

21. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

cool,makes me want to do something with the 2 -2 door wagons i have.

22. Stunning automobile! Enjoy it.:cool:

23. edselfish

edselfish

thanks.never really considered one of these models until i stumbled across it in california last year.definitely grows on you once you start looking over it and playing around with it.then the fun stuff starts when you realise whats not available - engine mounts(revulcanized),leaf spring bushes - rear ... improvise, front ... dont even go there!!!!!!!.

24. Good on ya mate :D happy motering. The ridw is worth the trouble.

25. edselfish

edselfish

not sure at this point.the vin starts with 57LA so unsure if that means its a los angeles car or not.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Does it have the original 368 Y in it? That car must be a 49 state car or one of the states that allowed the quad headlights in 57. Really nice car, have a 53 Merc and if I had more room would like a 57, with of course quad headlights.

My old cars that were registered in California went by the engine number originally. When I moved out of state they went by the body number or VIN, whatever is on the door jam. Interesting that u need another number stamped on the engine, guess it is for theft id.

Take good care of it.

27. edselfish

edselfish

d2,yes it has the 368.thats been a curious thing to work out.i know they were in lincolns - 55/56?? i think.i know they kind of belong to the y block family but are still very different in ways to the y block.

always an LA car as far as i know.

yes engine number for extra id in case of theft.and i sure will take care of it.it has a nice little rake down at the back and the glasspacks sound great.dont want to mess with it too much but a couple of little touches here and there.

28. Interesting story regarding this car. The 57 TPC was to receive the new MEL 410 but due to engine production problems received the LINC Y-BLOCK 368 290HP (M-335 8V 335 HP Option Available) instead. The MEL 410 then went to the 58 EDSEL as its production release was earlier than the LINC-MERC lines.

I think it was TN and one other state that had regulations concerning dual hdlps. I have that info somewheres.

Attached Files:

29. 231ramona

231ramona

Great Cars'

I had 3 over the years. a pace car convertable, a two door and a four door as well as several lesser 57 Mercs. I drove a 57 Colony Park with cruiser engine to college. I bought the pace car in 1976 for $400. It was drivable but had set outside and needed a total restoration. It was fully equipted including memory seat. I attended the Cappy Collection auction a couple of years ago and he had a pace car that sold for $245,000 and a 2 door with factory 2X4 carbs that sold for $175,000. They were both unbelievable.

I sure have great memories of those Mercs. The white car is a 58 Linc with factory tri power.

Attached Files:

30. FEDER

FEDER

Very Very cool. Could Ya take some inside pics Ill bet the Dash is way cool. Good on Ya !! FEDER