Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Hillman Husky 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Feb 28, 2014.

1. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I will post pictures. Can't wait to get the call that's it's done. It may be a while though.....already going on three weeks. It should be worth the wait.

2. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Finally some great progress on the exhaust. Still needs the tailpipes finished and then after all that it all comes off so they can make it out of stainless. So far it looks great.

IMG_0911.JPG (2).jpg

IMG_0908.JPG (2).jpg

Low profile Cruiser mufflers. The ones that go on the final stainless version will be 2 1/4"
    IMG_0909.JPG (2).jpg

IMG_0910.JPG (2).jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. Looking good!

4. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks. It's nice to have some movement finally. I've done about all the side projects for the car I can while it's away.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Getting real close to the finish line now.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Can you give me some details on the fuel system ? Size of hard lines and fittings ? What was your source for the PTFE fuel hose and who made up your lines (hose crimping etc.?)
    Thanks.

7. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

The hard fuel lines and fittings are 3/8 stainless steel for inlet and return lines. I bought two 20' rolls from Summit part number SUM-220238. Bought the stainless fitting from them too part #SUM-220239. I added a heavy duty Fram HPG1 filter too and a Mallory regulator Summit part # MAA-4309. Regulator is mounted under the car....I didn't want it visible.

I can't find my receipt for the teflon lines. They are pretty short. I think I had leftover hose from another project. I went with the non stainless braided so it looks like a normal rubber hose. I had a buddy come over and make them up. I think the fittings he used were from Carquest. Have a bunch of receipts from there with fitting #'s but not sure what goes to what. We made the steel carb inlet from the 20' roll and T fittings. Nothing too high tech but looks good and gets the job done.

loudbang likes this.
  8. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Looks like some tweaks were made to the exhaust system. Mufflers now exit more on the side and we have hangers!

IMG_3092.JPG

The goal is to get the tailpipes out the side BEHIND the rear wheels. They are going to try and do this tomorrow. I like the way it's coming together. My other Hillman with a V-8 has the pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels and it's a little too loud for my taste.

IMG_3091.JPG

9. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Blue One asked me about my fuel lines so I started looking in to what the rubber lines were made of. Thought they were teflon lined but they aren't. They are a Parker Push-Lok. Called up Parker and they tell me that the lines I have are definitely not meant for gasoline. So my nice crimped up lines will have to be redone!

Thanks for getting me curious Blue One!

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's a good thing, the rubber would have been destroyed by the gas and cause all sorts of problems.
    Let us know what you end up with.

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  11. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

yeah, always use the teflon lined stuff. Didn't even think about it until you brought it up and I wasn't able to place where the stuff on my car came from. I know the problems that can happen so made sure to figure out what my car had. The rubber lines you buy at the local auto store don't hold up to the re-formulated gasoline and deteriorate super fast. Was shocked to see what it did to some of my rubber lines in less than a year.

Last time I bought en EFI kit that came with some teflon lined hose but it had kind of a cloth cover to it that I didn't like. Ended up using stainless braided which I don't really like either but was better than the cloth.

Parker hose tells me there is a rubber hose with teflon lining that looks like rubber on the outside. It's called Parflex. Haven't had a chance to look in to it yet though.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  12. 73RR

73RR

My old 'stand-by' is Aeroquip fc332. I use it exclusively for remote oil filter setups but it is also rated for fuel.
    From the Eaton website: Featuring the same AQP inner hose material as the stainless braid and Startlite hoses, Socketless is compatible with petroleum and synthetic lubricants, hydrocarbon fuels and liquid engine coolants

Kan Kustom likes this.
  13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I bet you are excited. Wish I was this close to done.

14. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks Gary. That looks like just what I need. Looking it up now.

15. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Yes I am. Getting soooo close.

16. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

More sneak peek photos. This isn't the finished product but this is where the exhaust will exit which is close to the stock exhaust location.

pipe 2.jpg

pipe.jpg

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  17. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Waiting for you to get your car back is exhausting.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  18. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Still no car but am still trying to get pieces finished. Got the seats back and they look really nice. Had the seat frames blasted and powder coated black and then took them to Ray's Upholstery in Watsonville. I'm happy with them.

Tried to match the color and tetxure as best we could and Madrid is as close as I could get.

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG
    pattern is different from the buckets to the rear seats....this matches the originals. They made patterns from the old vinyl.
    IMG_1330.JPG

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  19. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

here's what the seats used to look like.

seats before.jpg

Tanoki likes this.
  20. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Rumor has it that the exhaust on my car will be done soon and that I can go get it. That means another 13 or so hours in the truck. Not looking forward to the drive but can't wait to see the exhaust.

My buddy Larry told me he could fix my dome light so I sent it off to him. It was in bad shape. The fiber board that holds the bulb mounts was deteriorated. He fabbed up a new one and cleaned it all up. It looks awesome. Now I need to get a headliner in the car so I can install it.

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  21. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Drove 730 miles to pick up the car today. Left at 5 and was back by 6:20 so it wasn't too bad. Car was on the rack so I could get a good look under it. He left the tail pipes cut until I got there so I could choose how to cut them.

I'm very happy with the results. Ron DiDonato of SPINTECH doesn't do many complete exhaust installs......probably in the ballpark of 10 per year give or take a few. That's because he's a perfectionist and he wants it done right and won't be rushed. Not only that but most of his time is spent running his business which manufactures complete exhaust systems, mufflers, oval pipes, elbows, diamond plate cabinets, and lower receivers for AR15 and 308 rifles.

When he agreed to to do my car he told me he would take his time to do it right....and he did. He made it clear that I shouldn't call and ask him when it would be finished. I didn't. When he does a car it's on the rack and doesn't come down until he's done with the car. My car probably took longer than most because it had a lot of challenging things to do in a small space.

When I asked Ron if he could design the exhaust while keeping an eye on doing it in a way where I could still do maintenance he said "Hey, it wasn't me that put a 392 in this thing". I thought it was pretty funny....couldn't argue with that.

You can see they left these long. I could have gone with ovals, turn-downs, angled or whatever I wanted. I went simple....like the original pipes the car car came with. Here they are taking it off to make the cuts. That's Mike in the picture. He starts a new job Monday so this was his last project. Ron and Mike did a great job.
    IMG_1335.JPG

Nice clean look. Could have sent the pipes under the bumper but I'm trying to avoid "the station wagon effect" where fumes come in the back door.
    IMG_1334.JPG

Pipes are about 1/2" away from the gas tank cover. They told me they could dimple it if I wanted but I don't think it will hit. If it does I'll fix it.
    IMG_1341.JPG

It's hard to see in the picture but the last hanger on the tailpipes bolts up to the hole in the frame that used to hold the leaf spring shackle.
    IMG_1342.JPG

Looks good from the back. Need to take that dogbone off and paint or do something with it.
    IMG_1350.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  22. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I think I'll rotate these bolts so the nuts are on the bottom. Will also make a sleeve to put on that bolt on the motor mount.

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

The exhaust is as high as it can go. The limiting factor was the transmission. It's almost touching at the crossover.
    IMG_1336.JPG

Lots of plumbing and other things going on here. Most of the exhaust is welded together but they built in a union on the passenger side down pipe from the manifold. This will allow extra room for starter removal if necessary.
    IMG_1337.JPG

They had to modify the mufflers so the exit would come out at an angle. There is only so much you can do with elbows and this gave it a cleaner look. These are SpinTech Sportsman Street XLF (low profile) mufflers which are 3"x 9.5"x 16". Can't wait to hear them.
    IMG_1340.JPG

They made a crossmember for exhaust hangers that attaches to the upper shock bolts. I need to take that off and paint it.
    IMG_1343.JPG

The pipes run pretty close to the axle shafts but not too close. There isn't that much upward travel so it shouldn't come close.
    IMG_1344.JPG

Another view off the exit from the muffler. It would have really been a tight fit if they didn't angle that exit. It comes out off the muffler and then has to stay away from the electric brake power master unit and also steer clear of the coilovers.
    IMG_1345.JPG

Ron at SPINTECH is meticulous about symmetry. Everything looks nice and straight.
    IMG_1346.JPG

Very nice looking welds. Another view of the clamp that allows for downpipe removal if I need to access the starter.
    IMG_1349.JPG

Man, there is a lot going on under there. Might make some changes to the routing of some of the lines.....but that will be down the line. That master cylinder is a long one too.
    IMG_1351.JPG

24. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

While I was under there I got a couple shots of the fuel system. I'm ok with the regulator position but will likely move the filter.

I didn't want the regulator in the engine compartment so under the car it went. All plumbing is stainless which makes doing flares a little bit of a nightmare.
    IMG_1347.JPG

This is just a little too close to that tire. A blowout while driving or doing a burnout could cause some serious problems. We may be able to locate it about a foot further forward or possibly in the area on top of the tank. I'll also tie down those battery cables and make sure they don't get damaged rubbing on something. The little pocket there by the battery cables is where the front of the leaf springs used to bolt up to.
    IMG_1348.JPG

volvobrynk, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great build, a definite sleeper

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

yeah, other than those wheels you'd expect this to be tame and quite. People will walk right by without even looking at it.....until I open the hood or fire it up.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. 73RR

73RR

28. jroberts

jroberts

Man, the little Hillman is sure looking great.

29. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

What a quality piece, what are plans for color.............

30. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

No plans to paint it right now. I like the original color and the weathered look. Plans may change down the line but for now this is the way it will look.