Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Ford Vanette Need some helpful suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerryjagger, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jerryjagger

jerryjagger
    from salinas Ca

Just picked up this 57 Ford Vanette & I'm in need of some drums for the rear end. This might sound lame but here we go. Anyone have any idea where I could go to hunt some drums down? Maybe something would interchange? I don't have any old Hollanders currently (interchange Bible). Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. anteek

anteek

My .02 worth. Upgrade the truck to a late model rear now. A problem that will come up later is the low gear ratio. Check the ratio tag and it's probably low 4's or 5's. Find a motorhome or breadvan with 19.5 tires,whatever bolt pattern and a decent gear and you will have a driver. Also the patys will be available for another 50 years or so. I'm partial to Chevy's with GM corporate rears.............cheap since they have been built since the '70's of the last century.

3. jerryjagger

jerryjagger
    from salinas Ca

Hey Anteek
    Thanks for the idea. That hadn't really crossed my mind. That will really widen my options by using something later. Maybe one of my local HAMB brothers can hook me up with a dually rear. Anyone? Please. If not that's ok. I have some local yards that I can check or even go to CL.org.

4. dukealuke

dukealuke
    from alaska

DId you decide to upgrade like what was suggested? I've got about the same year van, and I'm not sure about the state of the engine, BUT I do know it'll need a braking system overhaul. Would you also recommend upgrading the system, and what was the "gearing" upgrade in reference to?

Thanks a ton for your time in reviving this old post. I'm currently in Alaska as its freezing over, and have to research the vanette in Tomales, CA, from afar.

Cheers