Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Ford transmission crossmember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Will the stock '57 Ford transmission crossmember (for T-86 3-speed) accept a Ford 4-speed (T-10/Toploader) without modification?

Thanks,

Dave

2. I can tell you that on a T Bird crossmember needs to be modded to fit.

Has to be moved rearward by about 2 inchs.

Oldmics

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

No problem with the crossmember bolting to the trans, though?

4. I'm trying to get my 57 Done. F E toploader 4 speed. It's the project from HELL. Everyone I involve in the project turns it up side down. I haven't had the car home for 6 months (don't ask) I looked through my photo file to try to verify but don't have good photo of it mounted. I will say I did not cut the cross member. I believe I used the stock 57 mount. I may have used a later mount and drilled 1 hole in the pad to fit the stock 2 holes on the cross member. What ever it was it was no big deal. Also I have learned the hard way you should use a 58-59 bell housing so the clutch works correctly. The clock position on the fork changed in 60 and makes for a miss alighnment in the push rod. To bolt the top loader I had to turn down the O.D. of the front bearing retainer. Again no big deal.
    The Wizzard