Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Ford 9 inch brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by st.rod, Oct 17, 2010.

1. st.rod

st.rod

I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear housing and axles but no backing plates, drums or shoes. In the past I have found the drums and shoes to be 'no longer available. To use later model backing plates and drums there is an offset problem.
    Has anyone found a solution to this? I did one time shim the axle bearings out by 1/8" then was able to use later model backing plates and drums

Thanks Larry

2. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

somebody makes complete brake kits for them...we've bought them before...

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I ran into the offset problem, as well. They interchange up to the 1966 model year. I ended up with brakes from a 1966 Galaxie on the back of my coupe; still working fine over 20 years later.....

4. I used 66 Ford fairlane stuff on mine. had to drop down brake diameter but the parts were much easier to find! I think I had to machine the drums a bit though.....

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back before the advent of repro round back housings and new 11 inch brakes I used all the 57-59 Ford rearends I could find for my chassis business. To narrow the housing I used the 60-64 short side axle on the long side of the 57-59 rear and rebuilt so dam many 60-64 rear brakes I could do them in my sleep. They have the right offset 2.36 for the earlier rears.

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I still use the 57 59 SW housings and purchase new brakes from Currie with the 2 3/8 offset. They are cheaper than rebuilding the old ones which are real hard to locate. We have a place in LA that will rebuild them but you just as well purchase new ones. I only use the large bearing housings which Currie has brakes for. If you are building a hiboy you can use the Buick rear backing plates with front Buick drums. They look real good and stop with the 12 inch shoes. I might have a set of drums and backing plates. I will PM you if I have them.

mprice likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Pewsplace, are you using the large bearing housings? I have a small bearing housing and I need a brake set.

8. st.rod

st.rod

Reading on another post about rear brakes I believe I read that Explorer rear disks will work on this rearend with its backspace. Is this right? I thought that was a conversion for later model 9's

Larry

9. turdytoo

turdytoo

Check out Bronco web sites. I bought rebuilt backing plates for both big & little bearing housings. Price was reasonable and included new drums but being for a Bronco, they were 5 on 5 1/2 bc, which I like. Bronco Graveyard .com

10. 29AV8

29AV8

its no good. why not just sell it to me. hahaha...

11. Buckster

Buckster

I took the backing plates and drums off of a 61-62 Ford Galaxie passenger car and installed them onto a 1957 Ford axle housing. The combination gave a wider brake shoe & drum because the backing plates had an offset to the inside of the axle housing.