Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 F150 exciter wiring

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Bri62, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Bri62

Bri62
    from Ontario

Hi guys im having a bit of an issue trying to wire in an exciter wire for my gm alternator, either i blow fuses or the truck keeps running with the key off.
    i read that i have to wire the exciter onto the ignition stud but when i looked at the

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Are you certain that is the wire to the coil? It doesn't look original so I'd be inclined to trace it before I moved it.

Lou Manglass

3. trollst

trollst

Wire your exciter wire from the acc post. Anywhere else on the switch allows the car to run on, but the acc side is shut off completely when the key is turned off.
    So...the exciter wire takes power from the key to the alternator, but once the car starts the power flows back to the key, making the car run after switched off. Wire this wire to the acc post.

4. Bri62

Bri62
    from Ontario

Thanks guys, wired it to the acc side of the switch, all good but my light doesnt go out. the alternator is good and putting out 14.3 to the battery!!