Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 F100 Build (First Truck!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratzkid, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

ok, i was out there today and started cleaning the frame up. and it looks really good, it even still has the black base coat. its mainly just dirt haha some near me has a bed for 250, im trying to talk him down. it is a pretty nice bed, no rust and a little bit of bondo in the back corners, all in all, straight and nice, i just dont have $250 right now to send

2. Yeah those short beds are hard to find. I havent really posted on my f100 build in a while but i am still working on it. I have an extra short bed i would sell but im in california

3. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

was out there today, going crazy with wire wheel. XD the whole front up. looks really good, and got a pair of doors today too!

4. hey man your getting a lot of views im new to the hamb. i turned 14 in february and i got my truck when i was 12. these trucks are sure fun to work hugh im not sure if your part of the 57-60 f-100 group but its cool you learn a lot hit me up with a message when you get this by the way nice job so far keep it up.

5. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Looking good. Keep up the work.

6. thishero

thishero

Here's mine, I've been working on it for what seems like forever. i ended up putting in a Camaro clip to get it low. I've got the motor in now (351w) and am sorting out steering and brakes.

If you're on facebook, there's a good group of 57-60 owners on there as well for questions and parts... http://www.facebook.com/groups/57to60fords/?ap=1

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, these guys on here are always ready to help.

Attached Files:

7. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

ok so i havent really had time to get out there, with school registration and everything else going on that has been killing time. but i ordered U-bolts a week or so ago and they came today and WERE THE WRONG ONES!!! i was all excited to get this truck up on wheels and... yea! that bites!!!!!!

8. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

So...... My dad and I were talking about my truck, and he mentioned that my truck was/is an original V8 272 (153HP..... according to the LMC VIN look-up [​IMG]) and was one of the first 2,000 of the Series. we so happened to have the original 272 that came with my truck. AND transmission that goes with the motor........that goes with my truck. BUTTTTTT!!!!!!.............

The motor,........ :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now why is it green And yellow!? shouldn't it be red and black sence those are the 1957 colors? or is it a carry over motor from the 1956 truck?

Now do i go ALL original sense i have ALL the original parts (from the motor and tranny to the wheels... yes i mean EVERYTHING!)

HHHHEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!! what do i do?!?!?!?! :eek:

9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

It all depends on what you want. Do you want it to be fast? If so, ditch that Y block (I can say that because I had one in my '60). Do you want to just cruise? Then you might want to grab some dual manifolds and run duals with some glasspacks. If you're looking for it to be "all original" for investment or resale, I don't think these trucks are ever going to bring muscle car prices, so you might just want to have fun with it.
    Lookin' good so far. You've got more motivation that I have ever had.

10. I agree with Deyomatic, gotta decide what you want the truck to be. Something I've learned, is get a plan and stick to it. The more you change your mind during the build, the more it will slow you down.

Me, I'd go with the big block since it's ready to drop in.

Kick the Y-block under the bench for now...
    You could restore later or use it in another project.

The way you're moving along, you'll need another project in the near future.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup I agree. Y-blocks are great little motors but the FE is much closer to being ready to go. The y-block ain't going anywhere and you can always put it something lighter than your truck.

12. dutched32

dutched32

Great truck buddy,keep us posted

13. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Subscribed! yeah go with the FE man,My 292 in mine needs everything thats why I'm dropping in a 302/auto for now and either rebuild the 292 later of go FE BB Ford or 429/460. Great build so far man.

14. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

ok....i slept on it... and im leaning towards the FE.. but the thing that bugs me is that the 272 runs. it ran when we pulled it out, that's why its still here.

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Time to apply some high tech science here. "eenee meenee myneee moe....":rolleyes::D

16. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Yeah! no kidding! hahaha!!! xD

17. Freshen up the ol' y block and bolt it back in.

18. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

ok.... sooooo..... i cant make up my head. we started to make the template for the 390 FE motor mount and i took the 272 apart to clean up and paint. just in case i do put it in or if wanna put it in later down the road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the rest of the crew!! haha :D
    Left to right. 1957 F100 (my Truck), 1958 F100 (dads Old School Truck), 1960 Factory 4X4 F100 (dads wheeler), the old ATC 70 (that isn't going anywhere! my dad bought it for me when i was born!) 1977 Jaguar XJS, White 2-150 Field Boss (if you can see it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

ALso... we got my dads car out for the show saturday!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Nice group of trucks you guys got there. Keep going kid.

21. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Well the U-bolts are suppose to be here (Possibly) that way i can put the 9" in and get it on wheels. and yesterday evening i found out that my truck was Inca Gold when it rolled of the show room floor... that means it still has the original paint.

i also need to figure out what im going to do paint wise. im thinking if i put the y-block in it ill do it pretty much all original, if i put the FE in it ill probably do it 2 tone red and white.

22. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

OMG... i have totally slacked off on my poor truck... :( School has been HECTIC! :p haha anyways i got the U-bolts ( after the 3rd time, sounds like me:rolleyes:) haha and i got the rear end. the ford 9 inch and i picked up a nice step side bed. very straight and little rust. stoaked:D anyways so sorry guys! but i will try to be on here more often!

Jake-

23. C'mon ratzkid...
    No more of this taking a month off stuff.

get crackin'

We wanna see some results.
    I'm not gettin' any younger!

OahuEli likes this.
  24. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Here is the Stepside bed i picked up. very nice and hardly any rust some dents and dings but nothing major. haha

[​IMG]

Havent seen many of these i thought it was pretty awesome :)
    [​IMG]

Comes compleate with wood!!! (orr....... whats left of it :D)
    [​IMG]

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good find on the bed with the spare tire bracket. Those are pretty hard to find.

26. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

i thought it was so cool! i havent seen one that is on the outside, well in person till now haha only inside ones.

also.... i have a delima..... its snowing here in utah -.- so that puts a fairls large dent in this whole process. it is suppose to be nice next week, i hope we can get somestuff done, lol i did NOT! want snow on halloween!!!! XD

27. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

so my dad being so awesome decided to put the bed and axle in on my truck at school, so when i got home i was seriously flipping out :) haha i was so excited and the truck looks really good too. also we just put the Dana 44 in it for now just to roll it around haha :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow look at those tires (?) how old do suppose these are?? lol
    [​IMG]

28. the bed looks good on there

29. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

it looks really good and its actually really straight. we changed the wheels and tires to a smaller size. ( i dont know if u noticed) so its probably pretty close to level. Im Stoked!!! :D all i need is a radiator support

i might steal one from one of dads trucks :rolleyes: lol

30. Looks good kid!