Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 DESOTO Firesweep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baker53, Jan 28, 2014.

1. baker53

baker53

I was going to take the Desoto Firesweep to the upholstery shop and the chrome plating shop this morning to get some quotes, but had a problem with the car on the freeway. As I increased speed to around 60 mph, the car would bog down. I got off the freeway and headed home. After checking a number of things, I finally found the culprit to be the fuel filter at the inlet of the carb. For now, I removed the ceramic filter from the glass bowl and put in a in-line filter. I don't know if the ceramic filters are made any more or not, but all is OK now. I guess I'll go on my quote trip tomorrow.

2. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Baker53, I just reviewed all your posts. I did not see any comments regarding cleaning the gas tank (just the sender). Since you are starting to drive it more, you are probably pulling rust and crud from the gas tank to the carb filter. Suggest you carry a couple of extra fuel filters and tools until you can pull the tank to clean/seal or replace. Hope this unsolicited advice is taken in the spirit it is intended-trying to keep you on the road, not beside it. (been there, done that)

3. George

George

Really don't think your should run more than 1 filter, but adding a magnet to the tank will stop rust from floating around.

4. baker53

baker53

Good points for sure. When I had the sending unit out of the tank, I did look inside the tank and all was shiny steel. There was not much sediment in the glass bowl of the Carter filter, but the ceramic filter looked somewhat calcified from sitting for 30 years or more. At present, I do not have a ceramic filter in the glass bowl, I have a clear filter upstream of it. So far, I have not seen any sediment in the clear plastic filter. The car has been running great and hope it continues to do so. Thanks again for your thoughts.

5. baker53

baker53

Hi, I am only running one filter. The ceramic filter that was in the Carter glass bowl has been removed. I have one of the clear plastic filters upstream of the glass bowl now and all is good. So-far, I have not seen any sediment in the clear plastic filter. Thanks for your suggestion on the magnet in the tank.

6. George

George

I like to use a magnet out of discarded speakers. Just stick one on the outside of the tank.

7. If the car was parked before the advent of ethanol the tank may be clean.
    I really like the magnet idea!

8. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

George, I suggested "carrying" extra filters, not "running" extra filters. I should have composed a clearer sentence. In any event, after comments from Baker53, sounds like the filter was the problem, not the condition of tank. Magnet is a good idea.

9. George

George

Miss read on my part.:eek:

10. baker53

baker53

My plan for today was to replace the bushing in the idler arm and replace the canister oil filter with a spin on filter adapter. Getting the tapered joint out of the idler that is part of the drag link turned out to be a bigger chore than expected. I finally got it out and found that the ball assembly in the tapered fitting was shot so I had to order a new drag link which hopefully will be here in a week or so. Removing the old bushing from the idler was no fun either, but got it out and installed the new bushing. I will finish the install on the the spin on oil filter adapter tomorrow.

filter and bushing 001.jpg filter and bushing 002.jpg filter and bushing 003.jpg filter and bushing 004.jpg filter and bushing 005.jpg filter and bushing 006.jpg filter and bushing 007.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  11. baker53

baker53

Obtained a couple items that I installed today. I now have a warning light for the parking brake as well as a courtesy light just above the glove box door. I made a new lens for the courtesy light and replaced the old wiring. I really needed the parking brake warning light. At least two times, I've driven off with the parking brake engaged.

dash lights 001.jpg dash lights 002.jpg dash lights 005.jpg dash lights 006.jpg dash lights 007.jpg dash lights 008.jpg

12. gatz

gatz

I found that that is a good way to clean the small amount of oil seepage from the tail-end of the transmission that sneaks its way onto the emergency brake drum.
    Just leave it on until the car slows WAY down, then release.

13. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

Hey bill when you going to bring the Soto out to the car show ?

14. baker53

baker53

Hi Kyle & Wayne, Maybe next week. I have it up on jack stands now, waiting for a new drag link which should be here on Tuesday. I may go over to the show this evening and walk around a bit. See you and Wayne there if you are going. I need an update on Satan's Chariot.

15. baker53

baker53

Good idea. I will keep that in mind.

16. baker53

baker53

Made a couple tools today to help in removing the clips used to fasten the "DESOTO" letters onto the hood and trunk plus a tool to remove the clips that fasten the chrome trim piece that surrounds the license to the trunk lid. The "DESOTO" tool is just a brake spoon with a notch that is wide enough to capture the pin on the letter. The other tool is made from 1/2" bar stock with a hole at one end that is chamfered a bit.

trim clips 006.jpg trim clips 005.jpg

17. baker53

baker53

Started removing the various trim pieces today. All went well, and so-far no surprises under the various pieces of trim. No rust areas and the clips came out fairly easy.

trim removal 001.jpg trim removal 002.jpg trim removal 004.jpg trim removal 003.jpg trim removal 005.jpg trim removal 006.jpg trim removal 007.jpg trim removal 008.jpg trim removal 009.jpg trim removal 010.jpg trim removal 011.jpg trim removal 012.jpg

18. baker53

baker53

Car is now at the body shop and all the trim parts are removed for polishing or chrome plating. Next step is to strip the car to bare metal and fix the rusted area at the leading edge of the left side rear wheel well. The rest of the car is rust free, but lots of small dings to take care of.

body shop 003.jpg body shop 004.jpg body shop 005.jpg body shop 006.jpg body shop 007.jpg body shop 008.jpg

19. baker53

baker53

More body work pictures. Body is not stripped and door, hood, and trunk lid removed. Started dent removal on the doors, hood and trunk and applied some etching primer.

body shop work 008.jpg body shop work 016.jpg body shop work 030.jpg body shop work 033.jpg body shop work 035.jpg body shop work 042.jpg body shop work 047.jpg body shop work 049.jpg body shop work 053.jpg

20. baker53

baker53

Today's tasks included polishing tail light lenses and repairing the aluminum door sill plates. I used some 3M polishing compound and the tail lights cleaned up very well. My drivers side sill plate was really corroded on the forward vertical part. I tried to find some replacements, but $$$. I ended up using a piece of .038" aluminum and making overlays for the old door sills and put a small bend on the lower 3/8" like the original. I haven't decided if I will use rivets or adhesive to attach the overlays, but I leaning towards the adhesive.
    body shop work 054.jpg body shop work 055.jpg body shop work 055.jpg body shop work 056.jpg body shop work 057.jpg body shop work 058.jpg body shop work 059.jpg

21. baker53

baker53

Progress shots on the body work being done to the car.
    body shop work 071.jpg body shop work 072.jpg body shop work 073.jpg body shop work 074.jpg body shop work 075.jpg body shop work 076.jpg body shop work 077.jpg body shop work 078.jpg body shop work 079.jpg body shop work 080.jpg body shop work 081.jpg body shop work 082.jpg body shop work 083.jpg body shop work 084.jpg body shop work 085.jpg

22. baker53

baker53

Worked on hood hinge assemblies and the vent window assemblies this weekend. Fortunately the rubber seals around the vent windows were in great condition. Still very pliable and made a good seal around the glass and the frame. Installed new division bar window channel and they are now ready for re-install after the car is painted. The hood hinges were in very good condition as well, so just a clean-up and they are ready for re-install as well.

body shop work 090.jpg body shop work 090.jpg body shop work 091.jpg

23. baker53

baker53

Just received a call from the chrome plating shop saying all the parts are done and ready for pick-up. Now it's time to sell a kidney to pay the bill.

24. guitard

guitard

Sell a kidney! That takes guts. What a great car... where's Spring, TX?

25. Hi Bill, I was wondering who you used for the chrome work?

26. baker53

baker53

That is what a friend told me when I was complaining about the high cost of plating. Spring is located just north of Houston. I actually live in Klein, TX which is somewhat surrounded by Spring, TX

27. baker53

baker53

I use a shop owned by Fidel Bonilla. His shop is at 424 HILL RD., HOUSTON, TX 77037

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Bill, I don't remember if you already mentioned it, but what color/colors are you going to paint your car? Great work, and a beautiful Desoto.

29. baker53

baker53

Thanks, the car will be painted the same colors as it came from the factory. I forgot the exact names of the colors, but the roof will be white, body will be coral, and the area around the rear wheels will be white. There are some pictures of the car, as purchased, on page 1 of this thread.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice colors (IMO), and I've been following this since your first post. A real, honest, traditional car. There was a 4-door in the same colors, posted in the huge vintage pic thread a while back. I wish I could tell you where it is on that thread, but is has thousands of pics on it.