Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Corvette M/SP Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Corvette day 1 at shop a.JPG Corvette day 1 at shop (2).JPG Corvette day 1 at shop c.JPG After sitting in the trailer for the last six months since I got it home, I was finally able to get the Corvette into the shop to start on it(the Olds is at the upholster for the interior). My original plan was to build another straight axle, gasser-styled car, but the chassis on this car has undergone a complete restoration,including the front end being totally gone through,sandblasted and powder coated black,etc. So, I figure I'd install some 4 inch blocks to give it the right stance, and later, if I still feel the need for an axle, everything un-bolts and I'll make some bolt on brackets to mount the front springs etc.
    This will be a street driven car ( as is my 55 Chevy) with an occasional trip to the Drags (Nostalgia events,etc). I have a 454 that is going in with the four speed Muncie that is already in the car. I would like to run Hilborn EFI stack injection, and am still researching that as I go along with the build (nothing I need immediately). Tomorrow I will install a set of Lakewood slapper bars and that should take care of the rear suspension. I'll install a six point roll bar, and anything else it will need to pass NHRA tech inspection. Anyway, this will give me something to do for the next year or so.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. flatford39

flatford39

That is my absolute favorite vette. You are living the dream.

els and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Nice project..be sure and keep us updated.

els likes this.
  4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2, closely followed by a 435hp/427/4spd/'67 Coupe. If I had the '57 it would be strictly a street driven deal probably with my NASCAR 9:1 (500+ hp) 350 coupled to one of my Doug Nash 5spds and a well built 9" and disc brakes on all four corners.

Frank

els and volvobrynk like this.

5. I am SOOOO biting my tongue over this one.....56-7s are so beautiful, so desirable....and to have one that good and go the psuedo racer direction just makes me scratch my head :confused:...and I'm doing the same with a 63 :eek:...:eek:
    At least they'll get thrashed as Duntov intended.
    Carry on sir.:cool:

els, Gr8laker, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks good Baron. I will be watching with interest.-Jim

els likes this.
  7. noboD

noboD

I have the chassis to my buddy's '57 in my shop for a complete rebuild. My favorite body style of Corvette.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

9. I keep thinkin I will live long enough to do my '59 and my '61 ,but I guess I need to apply myself a =bunch= more if I want to get either goin...HA!

10. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I just started on my 56, I guess I am going the opposite direction as you are. It's your ride do what makes you happy and enjoy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. You have my dream in your shop's bay.
    I sold my '58 years ago, then when I wanted another one.... life got in the way.
    I am so curious to see how this one will wind up.
    Sometime this month I'll shoot down to drool over this new one you got. I'm so envious!

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 inch I-beams in front ,reversed shackles on the rear, and a set of American S200’s give it a better look.
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Rear
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron, not sure if I posted this before but in case I didn't, here is another B/MSP at Milan in either 66 or 67. This is Teddy Boschma's 57 Berkley Auto Electric with an injected 427, "Gorilla". Always liked the car and watched it run many times. Now that I have played with mine at 6'1" I wondered how hard it was for him as I seem to remember him being taller than I was (he was a big guy). The three point bar also gets in the way of headroom also. I am sure you will set your better cage/bar with the actual seat position. My seat bottom cushion is on the floor with a total of 3" of overall height (which if you want any padding is about minimum). With a helmet there is not a bunch of room-achievable though.

Glad to see you are going with the earlier designation of MSP. It keeps away those silly gasser police, I hope. -Jim
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RARE57

RARE57

Hey Baron,
    "Looks GREAT...Can't wait to see the finished product...GOOD LUCK" !!

els likes this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank guys. And thanks for the pictures. Jim, my thought 's exactly. ;) Worked on it a bit this morning.
    Got the rear traction bars on (not adjusted yet).
    [​IMG]

Note evidence of ladder bars from the past on the rear axle tubes (little drag racing history I'd guess :) ).
    [​IMG]

Sits about the same height as my 55 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice ride,like it!!

18. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

That's kick ass.

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great project Baron. Will be watching.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

21. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

Nice project! i like the direction you are goin with it!

22. n847

n847

So damn cool!

23. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Looks Awesome , but I assume you are going to relocate the emergency brake cable .I will watch this build cant wait to see more progress ,keep up the good work . Darryl [The Big Stahu] Lost Kustoms cc Buffalo NY

24. sololobo

sololobo

wow, love it ~sololobo~

25. No Plan

No Plan

I love your 57!... I have a 59 in my garage/shop just waiting for me to get started on. I got an alum. head 468" bbc for it w/pg & a 12 bolt.

26. Big block, stick and drag racing, you sir are not nuts !
    I love these style vettes with the gasser flare, was just looking at a picture of one this morning in a magazine thinking man that car is bitchen.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. vetrod62

vetrod62

Nice start. Good luck on the build. Like your build, My car is 90% street, and some track. My concerns are the rear axle. Your picture is not too clear, is it a 57/64 Olds/Pont? If so, is it a Dana or Eaton posi? The Dana is super weak. If you have one, sell it to a someone who wants a cruiser. The Eaton is much stronger, but with over 450 HP and traction will break the posi spiders. I finally gave up and went to a Strange 35 spline axle and spool. And mine is a SBC. Good luck. Jim

PS I have all the info to make these cars work.

28. hoop

hoop

Great project.I had a 58 in 1965 set up gasser style ,same method you used.Drove great.Can`t wait to see this one done.You have a lot of energy to build cars as fast as you do.

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that the good weather is almost over, time to get back on this project. Spent the day shimming the body to frame to line up the doors as best as possible. One more day ( and a few more shims) should do it. Body work will take care of the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  30. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

You have a car that is potentialy worth a lot of money. Dont put a straight axle under it. I would recommend you install a small block. You can build them plenty big and it wont ruin the handling. Small block vettes always handle better than big block cars.