Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chrysler Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you all for you comments! You guys are very motivating. I apologize to those of you that thought the car was 'done' because of my avatar. Next time I'll try to make it more obvious that it's photoshop. ;) :D

We had a decent weekend of weather, so we blew apart the dashboard and cleaned it up. The padded dash has more lumps than I'd like, but no tears. Instead of buying a new one for $600+ we're going to dye it and run it this way for a while. Hopefully we can get it to look nice. The dash is the same gray as the roof, the pad will be black, and the gauge pods are gold. All the instruments and chrome are cleaning up nicely. I am using a 150mph speedo from a 300C, I wonder if anyone will even notice. :D

20180203_124851.jpg

20180204_084708.jpg

20180204_131254.jpg

2. Go, Danny, Go! After all the threads about "gasser" farm trucks and borderline rat rods, your Chizzler is a breath of fresh air. I think you have a cohesive vision for this car. I'm enjoying watching you build this thing.
    Phil

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Your car is really coming together nicely! I love the forethought into the look you're after. I remember seeing your wagon years ago at some of the early LoneStar Roundups. I hope you're able to make it this year.

4. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dam you do some great work. You have outstanding taste too.

5. Caprice89

Caprice89

Great job. Loving it and going to follow it. Gives me inspiration to work on my 59 DeSoto 2 door wagon again.
    I will be back with detail questions on the front suspension - exhaust - oilfilter - starter drama...

Sent from my A0001 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you, guys. I am having a lot of fun building it.
    A '59 Desoto 2dr wagon? I only recall seeing one, it was black, and a Plymouth-based Diplomat somewhere in Europe. Is that one yours? Feel free to ask any questions. I think I glossed over all that part in the original post. It was quite a bit of effort, actually.
    Thank you. I love my old beater wagon; it's like a comfortable pair of jeans. And it definitely has a look that makes people remember it. :eek: I'm looking forward to a car that is a little less crunchy though.

roundup2014sm.jpg

abe lugo, The.Rev.Earl, lewk and 3 others like this.
  7. belair

belair
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Go man, go!

j hansen likes this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Bring that block over and I will repair the broken ear for you while you watch

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. scotty t

scotty t
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your car is going to cool as hell, plus it's got a stick! DOUBLE COOL!!

j hansen likes this.
  10. Caprice89

Caprice89

Jep that's mine. Crunchy too. Took out the old, worn-out 6 banger out and currently in the process of putting a 318 LA in. But work, family life and other projects (Smokey Yunick tribute Chevy Panel Van) are keeping me away from this.

[​IMG]

11. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Sick car! Keep at it its gunna be sweet!

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad painted the dashboard, we got the vinyl dash pad dyed black, and got the gauges back together. Installed the sway bar and have been connecting cables and hoses. I'll be running wires next week.

20180210_103805.jpg 20180210_003344.jpg 20180208_235421.jpg

13. This thing is turning out great! Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to see it with the front sheet metal back on. The dash is looking good!

Gotgas likes this.
  14. Viggo Holt

Viggo Holt

Great work :) Have you landed on a set of soleniods and poppers for the doors and trunk that fits well? Im on my way to shave a 58' Dodge hardtop and I guess what fits a 57' Chrysler also work on the Dodge.