Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 CHEVY SOUTHEAST GASSERS BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zak Hall, May 11, 2015.

1. Tri 5's were undercoated ''sparingly'' at the factory. Wherever it was applied wouldn't rust, but the cars only had primer on the floor pans & rockers.
    The Dana looks tough under there!
    Go, man, go!

Zak Hall likes this.
  2. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks chevy57dude! Somebody has caked on the undercoat then I guess. Because it's everywhere lol.

3. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

LOVE the car!!!! And LOVE the stance!!! I have a 57 sedan as well (not NEAR as nice though). What size rear tire is that? and what size rear wheels??? WAY cool!!!

Zak Hall likes this.
  4. WOW!! Your car is shaping up to be one mean gasser. Love it!

Zak Hall likes this.
  5. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks!

6. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks. It's 10 inch wide rims and 29.5 x 11.5 tires. It's around 12-12.5 inches from the rocker to the ground on the rear, and around 13-13.5 in the front.

7. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Well no pictures for this week, but we cleaned the sound deadening insulation out of the roof and got it painted black, got the metal for the outriggers for the cage, put a new liner in our welder, and replaced all the old dry rotted rubber body bushings with new polyurethane bushings and got it all tightened up, and got the car jacked up and leveled. It's ready for the cage to start going in this week.

8. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the cage tacked in today. Was gonna put a 10 point cage in it, but didn't like the looks. The 6 point cage should tech for my et, and it looks a lot more period correct. Got to put the shoulder bar in once we final mount the seat and finish weld everything.

Attached Files:

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Great to see another SEG build.... its going to be a great year to be a fan and travel to the SEG races

Dog_Patch and Zak Hall like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your Right. There are over 30 new builds for SEG going on right now. About 15 of them are to be finished by the first race in Greer SC April 30th. That will put us around 45 era correct gassers.
    And I had people tell me a period correct gasser class would never work.

Mtn Goat, hechtspeed, 55Deso and 8 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quain, sounds like all your hard work is paying off.
    I think (one of) the keys to your success is a commitment to establishing reasonable guidelines and holding firm to them, it motivates people to build a car knowing no big changes will occur after they spend a lot of money building a car.
    Good for you.

12. Looks good. Keep it up. Did you get the fuel tank we talked about? I guess we feed off each others work to keep us going.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  13. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah Bert, I got a 2.5 gal tank. Quality piece at a nice price, thanks for the info!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I think your right DDDenny. I have had some tell me that they was waiting to see how it went for a few years first. I think the other big thing is that the SEG is the only period correct A/G class in the world. We have cars being built all over the country and when I ask them why they tell me that there is no other gasser deal with strict enough rules. Next time someone says they have a gasser ask them what's in the gas tank that takes care of most LOL.

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thumbs Up ! from another drag 57 owner.

Zak Hall likes this.
  16. Cage looks just right. Nice job!

Zak Hall likes this.
  17. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks Mikey

18. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

I got on the photoshop thread and got moose to pretty much get an idea of the lettering and look of my car. It's the same lettering and scheme as my dad's Opel drag car he ran in the early 80s, except the name is scaled down till it only runs the legnth of the door so it looks more 60s era correct.

Attached Files:

19. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Good weather this weekend, picked a few things up at the local swap meet, got the shoulder bar and the other braces on the cage, got the drivers seat placed, got the ram rod on to figure up linkages, and been mocking up the engine to figure out firewall clearences. And cleaned and painted most of the rear interior metal. Starting to look like a racecar.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat, hechtspeed, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I think your going to make it April 30th.

Dog_Patch, mad mikey and Zak Hall like this.
  21. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

I hope so Quain. My fiberglass should be here next week. Getting ready to take my engine to the machine shop, I've got everything except gaskets and bearings.

Mtn Goat, AHotRod and Quain Stott like this.
  22. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Awesome im 19 as well and here is an original drag car from the mid 60's to late 60's. Was raced at US 30 drag strip, and i found it in Illinois. My projects go very slow because i have about 6 or 7 going at a time LOL.
    20160127_170645.jpg

Mtn Goat, hechtspeed, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  23. Lookin' really good Zak! Where did you find the low back bucket seats? May need to snag a couple myself. Thanks for posting on the build!

24. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks! I got em off ebay, Jegs has them too. They're Rci seats, and they make the covers too. The seats are around 50$ each and the covers are around 50$ each too.

3dnsouth likes this.
  25. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Well tonight we got the transmission crossmember in, and two plates welded on the frame to bolt factory style motor mounts on, dad is gonna use the lathe to make a couple alluminum spacers tomorrow so it'll be solid mounted. It's a little overkill, but the motor won't try to fall if we pull the trans out. I spent most of the day going from place to place to find the aluminum, then got home and the power sub station near my neighborhood had been shut down due to them hooking the new 3 phase power in wrong and blowing something up, so I was without power for a while, but the nice weather made up for it.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat, hechtspeed, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  26. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Dad got the motor mounts made tonight, and we got the motor and trans pulled. Going to take the block to the machine shop tomorrow and also gotta start figuring out what clutch setup I'm going to run.

Attached Files:

27. Nice! Subscribed!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Zak Hall likes this.
  28. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Zak Hall likes this.
  29. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Over the weekend we finished mounting the steering box and steering column, and finished up a few more things on the front end. Trying to tie up loose ends. Tonight we started cutting out the firewall and got a template made so the head and valve cover clear the firewall on the passenger side. It's in the teens to tweenties all week and we don't really have heat in the garage so it makes it tough, really slows down everything.

Attached Files:

AHotRod, Nitrofreak, 3dnsouth and 5 others like this.