Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Its actually a 283 in it haha. I kept blowing the float pins, so I had to kick the psi down a little, and I used a timing light to check it.

Thanks for the kind words!

2. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Swapped out the old original coil for a new one and put new spark plug wires in while I was at it. Ive been running the same wires since I got it so I figured it wouldnt hurt! Took it out for a spin around the block and it seemed to run pretty good. Didnt miss or backfire when I was getting on the throttle either! Hope that fixes it....[​IMG]

I also picked up a new steering wheel at the Pomona swapmeet over the weekend.

[​IMG]

3. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Oh and in other random news, this is my new garage buddy! I found her out in the middle of nowhere, so I took her in and now shes part of the family. Shes pitbull/lab mix, and loves hangin with me in the garage. Hopefully she'll like riding in the truck!

[​IMG]

DeeDee da dogdog

[​IMG]

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I like the stray...nice addition.:D

5. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Just took the truck out for a real test run, and it seemed to run pretty good! No backfiring/missing! Hopefully the new coil and cables fixed that problem. Time to move on to the next problem...

6. shadams

shadams

Love the mutt! Got 5 of them myself. Glad to hear the trucks running good.

7. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks! Im glad its running too haha!

8. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im looking for a drivers side stepside that's in decent shape. No rot, dents, etc. Shoot me a PM if ya got one...thanks!

9. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Hey Taylor,

Make sure you mount the coil up on the firewall, they hate heat and are oil cooled so you can cook them pretty quick. Was the old one a 6volt like I thought with no ballast resistor? What about the light switch? Were the highs and lows on at the same time?

Looking good.

Mark

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm tucking all my wires and my firewall will be bare...do you think it makes that big of a difference in heat? I'm trying to think about where else I could mount mine, because right now it's in the same location as Taylors.

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Its mounted pretty close to the firewall, and kinda above the intake. It was the original 12 volt. I havnt had a chance to check out the light switch, but when I do I'll let ya know!

12. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

JFA, first show I ever went to.
    I was 14 (40 now), it was in Norflok VA.
    Good times.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Sweet! I saw them about a month ago haha. The band I drum for opened for em about a year ago....they still put on one hell of a show!

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

They used to have an ad in mid '80s Thrasher mags for JFA skate decks. Those were the days, lol.

15. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Like this one? They still make em!

[​IMG]

16. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Hey man that truck looks great! What brand/size tires are you running? Im looking at wrapping my new steelies in some whitewalls this month.

Also, love the finned valve covers! Brand?

I appreciate the info!

17. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im running 15x6 wheels, and the tires are Coker L78's I think.

18. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Just picked up new cab corners and rocker panels today! Old wiring should be coming out soon as I get some free time, than its off to my buddies shop so I can borrow his welder and do some shitty patch panels...

19. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Looking good!!! When you install the cab corner patch panels pay attention to the curve of the door and try to match before you weld it up. Lots of the replacement panels are pretty flat on the jams.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

21. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

They are oil filled to cool them so heat is a real killer especially if you mount it with the top down they will get literally cooked eventually. More common with the cheapo no name brands. Also if it is a daily driver sorta like what Taylor is doing. If you are only driving it occasionally on weekends and to shows it will be years to never.

22. 1959apache

1959apache

with the cab corners make sure you pat the money for the expensive ones made in America (they are not in primer). The epoxy primer covered panels are made in Taiwan and are junk (they are not made right). Hope you bought the right ones. The hours you will have in to getting them right will be the difference between the good ones and crappy ones, check out my thread for pictures.

23. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I dont know which ones I got. Guess it doesnt matter now since I already got em haha.

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

How do you know which retailer is selling the Made in USA ones? I need the passenger side...

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Counterpart = made in USA. Usually 80-100 bucks per patch panel. Truck and Car Shop in Orange, CA has them, they are the retail side of Counterpart. Their customer service blows and their shipping is overpriced... and they dont pack their boxes correctly and stuff gets damaged... and parts will probably be missing from the box... other than that go through them. Other places will price match so check around your area for a 1955-59 chevy truck part retailer. Dii is the Taiwan brand and it sucks, they are usually in black epoxy primer because they get shipped overseas. the ones made in the USA are bare steel with cutting oil on it.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

27. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Got the old wiring all ripped out, and have the new harness all laid out where it needs to go. Just gotta get a few odds and ends and start connecting everything....

28. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Almost done with the wiring harness! My dads been helping a lot with it because Im borderline special when it comes to wiring and electrical....

29. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Don't forget to replace the headlight switch or relay the headlights so you don't burn up the new harness. I can believe you are getting rid of the trailer wiring harness ;)

Found some picts. Now what the hell was the name of that snake?

Attached Files:

30. LFANT DESIGN

LFANT DESIGN
    from POLAND

Looks cool:) here is one I did today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]