Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957 chevy BEL AIR RADIATOR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmo630, Jul 29, 2018.

1. lilmo630

lilmo630

Hi guys, i have been wondering is there any reason i am seeing radiators both behind and in front of the rad support? I was wondering if there is any advantages of having it in one position or the other. I have also been having problems with heat trapped under my hood and have been replacing coils every other year. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks guys!

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

rad in front is six cylinder position rad behind is v8

chevy57dude, lothiandon1940 and egads like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

It's all about where the fan is....and making room for it. It's pretty common to move the radiator in front, when adding A/C, etc. to a V8.

I doubt your coil problems have anything to do with the radiator location.

4. Short water pump usually behind
    Long water pump and big blocks usually move em in front of the rad support

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

if you want to run an electric fan with a shroud, use a 6 cyl radiator core support (radiator in front) there's no room for an electric fan with the radiator in the V8 position. I just did this swap on a 57

6. Chevrolet mounted the coil directly to the intake manifold on millions of cars. Heat probably isn't the problem. Is the alternator putting out too much voltage? There must be another issue at play.

7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The 6 cyl. position also allows the engine to be moved forward 3/4" for more firewall clearance for things like tall rocker covers and large HEI's, most often the engine can be moved forward and not affect the drive shaft entry into the trans tailshaft. Obviously easier to do while building than later. Ralphie